Author Topic: JD Review: Royal Guard (Senate Security)  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
JD Review: Royal Guard (Senate Security)
« on: November 11, 2005, 01:30 AM »

I love the Royal Guard (Senate Security) figures...  I do.  They're articulated heavily, they're sculpted beautifully, they're armed well, they had "the extra mile" from Hasbro by giving them softgoods and that holster...  They're great figures, and finally a really good red royal guard is out there...

So what could possibly wrong?  Well, not a whole lot really, so that's a plus.  Check the review out and lay down your own thoughts for us.

I will say, a flaw surrounding both versions is that you can't find them in any abundance.  I'm still short of my Red Guard Goal, though my blues have been amped up recently by sparce repacking of that variation.

The figures are great army builders though, and if a Rebel Fleet Trooper came out that was of this quality, you'd see me change my signature folks.  I love these figures. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: JD Review: Royal Guard (Senate Security)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 01:37 AM »
good job with the review Jesse!  8)

i think they are both equally hard to find in the beginning with the Red Guard being more rare, but from what I notice from the coming case assortments, they are equally distributed, i saw a handful of Blue Guard for one week and the next week, alot of Red Gs ::)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 07:02 AM »
Good review Jesse.  :) I was lucky enough to get a Blue Imperial Guard on 4/2. One of the best ROTS figures, period.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:24 AM »
Totally agreed on the guard...  One of the best launch figures, and probably one of the best figures in the ROTS line overall I think.

I found a blue one too I believe it was, sitting alone at a Wal-Mart.  I saw guys at Target leaving with like 6 or 7 red's in their arms, running for a checkout.  no figures but the guards.   ::)

In my AO (area of operation for the non-military-lingo savy :) ), I didn't see many of either color.  Red has been slightly more hard for me to find while Blues I've seen one here and there lately (shipping I think with some of the final 12).  I've bought the ones I"ve seen...  Saw a red the other night too and got him.  I'm up to a nice number of blue.  I'd still like more Reds though for both prequal and classic shelves...  Some around each version of Palpatine and a good many around my Emperor figure(s).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 08:49 AM »
too bad we never got the blue guard in France  :(

i found a lot of red guards though (got 5 of them myself)

let's hope we'll get them in the new cases
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Can you give us a hint of what your next review will be?

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 03:56 PM »
I finally found a Red Royal Guard last night. I have two already, but I got them from eBay. However, due to the fact that my mother was kind enough to buy it for me, I agreed to wait until Christmas to receive it.
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2005, 12:30 PM »
I actually have to give this figure a thumbs down. While I agree that all the pro's for this figure make it the best gaurd available to date, I think the cut of the soft goods and the lack of a pike make this far from the ultimate version. The soft goods on the package looks perfect. If we had gotten that, I could over look the absence of the pike, but the way I see it, were can still use a better version.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2005, 01:12 AM »
I'd not be opposed to future versions of this figure just having a pike accessory and new silky-ish cloak too.  I'm ok with it though, as it can be MADE to look good.  You can't hide the arms though, and that's detracting from it I think, but for my $ I'm pretty well happy with him now as he stands.

I do wonder though why no pike accessory ever was packed in?  That's what the reds had in the movie, not the overly rubbery rifle, so I don't get that but whatever.  Hasbro can change an entire piece of the sculpt but not change accessories between the two versions?  Riiiight.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2005, 09:56 AM »
I wondered the same thing about the pike. ???
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2005, 10:01 PM »
The POTF2 Pike would've been a great accessory for the red guard I think.  The AOTC figure's pike is meh I think, but yeah I just don't get the whole inability to pack in a different weapon.  Weird.

The guards are great figures to me though.  I look forward to the potential re-use of this for a Kir Kanos too...  Nothing wrong with that to me.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2005, 10:01 AM »
I look forward to the potential re-use of this for a Kir Kanos too...  Nothing wrong with that to me.

If I was into the EU, I'd probably love these guys a lot more. I love what's under the cloak*, great play value.

* Yeah, I know this earns a spot in the "quote your fellow posters out of context thread."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 03:23 AM »
Yeah I thought Hasbro did a great job detailing the armor,a nd the addition of a biker scout pistol REALLY was neat.  To me that's just what these guys would hide under the robe incase they lost the forcepike or needed to do some shooting at someone from a distance attacking Palpatine.  Very cool that Hasbro did that.

The bitchin' boots are cool too though.  Definitely a unique look for cool characters....  though they do get the ultimate bitchslapping from Yoda.