Author Topic: Thanks to the Veterans  (Read 7829 times)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Re: Thanks to the Veterans
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 12:24 PM »
Thank you very much! I respect you all, and those currently in the service I hope you stay safe!
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Thanks guys for your service to our country.  For those who are in service and fighting in operations overseas stay safe. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 03:30 PM »
I just got back from a Remembrance service, I took my dad as he cannot drive anymore.  :-\

Last year, the Canadian Mint came out with a Poppy coin, this Year is the year of the Veteran. I gave my dad 2 of these coin's commemorating this event.  :)

Thank You all that have served and continue to serve.  :)

Lest We Forget.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2005, 02:31 AM »
I was reading a thing on Yahoo last night about the forgotten World War I vets...  Man, you think that the WW II vets are dwindling in number...  France, one of the major factions in World War I, has no remaining veterans of a war that was even greater in scope and scale than World War II overall.

U.S. has few remaining veterans.  I had a long look at a local WW I memorial tonight thinking about that story.

Glad to see the thread was bumped once again.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Thank you so much for your sacrifices overseas and in past wars.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Happy Veterans Day
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36 AM »
I know we've got a member or two who has served in the military - this was sent to me by a Vietnam Veteran that I work with.  I thought I'd share it with you all -

You Can't Tell a Vet Just By Looking

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carrier didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth whose behavior is outweighed in the cosmic scales by four hours of unparalleled bravery near the 38th Parallel in Korea.

She is the nurse who fought against futility in Da Nang and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years.

He is the POW who left one person and came back another.

He is the drill instructor who has never been in combat, but has saved countless lives by turning no-accounts into Marines.

He is the parade-riding legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the white-haired guy bagging groceries at the supermarket, aggravatingly slow, who helped liberate a Nazi death camp.

A vet is an ordinary and extraordinary human being — someone who offered his life's vital years in the service of his country.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.  We will never be able to repay the debt of gratitude we owe.

—Author Unknown—

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Again the Canadian Mint released another poppy coin, this quarter commemorates end of World War I.

Between 1914 and 1918 over 650,000 Canadian men and women fought to protect the peace and freedom our country enjoys today. Of those, more than 66,000 gave their lives and another 170,000 would be wounded. Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae, a Canadian medical officer during the First World War, was responsible more than any other for the adoption of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance in Canada and the Commonwealth. McCrae was also the author of the famous war memorial poem In Flanders Fields.

The 25-cent poppy coin marks the third coloured circulation coin to be produced by the Mint and distributed in Canada, following the 2004 red poppy coin which honoured those who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend Canada’s freedom and the 2006 pink ribbon coin which raised awareness for the fight against breast cancer.

My father who sadly passed away this past April at 85 served in the Canadian Armed Forces & served his time in WWII. My dad had a lot of stories but most of them he kept to himself as the horror of war was to much to bear, losing friends & family. Of one of those stories I will never know the ending as he stopped talking about it as he was telling it, I will truly never know what happened at that farm house but I can surly imagine.  :-\

We Thank those who are serving & have served. Lest We Forget.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2008, 12:58 PM »
My nephew graduated from the Naval basic program just the end of October.  I wish I could've seen him graduate in Chicago...  He's in Sarasota Florida now getting his specialized training and he's considering sticking through to be an officer, unless he gets into a field he's sure to land a good job at after his time in.  I hope he's having a good day today.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Thanks guys for the thoughts. That's all any veteran ever hopes for is somebody to just say thanks. It means the world to hear it.

And again, thanks to the fellow vets out there, home and abroad and let us not forget our fallen brothers/sisters on foreign battlefields.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 10:02 AM »
I never forget this day.

I've been bringing in my camo jacket (with medals a ribbons pinned on it unofficially), from when I was a Navy Corpsman during the Gulf War, to work for the past 7 years.

I use it as a reminder to those I work with to take at least one minute from their busy day to remember a veteran in their life. I post a sign saying as much (with a caveat that it NOT be me they consider, but someone close to them, within their more personal life).

The liberties we have now are most certainly because of the sacrifices of the brave men and women of our armed services of the years. Going back as far as the Revolutionary War, to the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Iraq, and Afghanistan (and any others I may have unintentionally forgotten).

Were it not for this long history of soldiers going to battle for the beliefs of the United States, we simply would not have the rights and privileges we have today.

I consider it an honor to have served and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. The kinship vets share regardless of whatever duty they saw is a bond of brotherhood that transcends barriers.

I offer a sincere thanks to those who took the time to respond to this thread and those who though of or maybe even called or visited with a veteran in their life.

-Sal (USN, HM3, 1989-1993)
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 05:17 PM »
I am always humbled when someone thanks me for doing a job I truly love to do.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25 AM »
A Part of Our Heritage - Flanders Fields

We Thank those who are serving & have served. Lest We Forget.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Amen.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 11:19 PM »
Thank you very much for the words :)

Signed,  Active Serving Veteran

PS: My grandfather also served in WW2 ..but uh, for the wrong side. I never met him though-he got blasted.

-J
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:25 PM by Jon »