Author Topic: What is the hardest variation SAGA figure you own or want?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
With so many variations out there it's hard to keep up.  However, I like having something that you can't pop into the store and pickup at any time.  For the SAGA line, what do you all think is the coolest, hardest to find, or most treasured variants you have or want?

I'm very interested you hear your feedback on this.  

Take care,

Matt AKA - FishEyedLouie

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: What is the hardest variation SAGA figure you own or want?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 09:38 AM »
With the dry spell, I'd take any variation.  :-X

I'd say the one I want the most is one of the RebelFleetTrooper variants.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 10:14 AM »
I'm not sure exactly how hard to find these were, but I did just recently notice in my collection that I have a carded Red Clonetrooper with 4 red dots on the figure but no red dots at all on the picture on the insert.

As far as which ones I want, I'll take any and all of the new IO variants as I still have yet to see them in stores.  :(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 02:41 PM »
I got a Blonde Imperial Officer off of ebay, I haven't seen them anywhere and I am mighty glad I did.  I also have a couple of Bloody Stump Lukes, not exactly rare but I think it is a cool figure

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 02:53 PM »
I forgot to post mine, I never, ever, ever found a Dexter w/ Insert.  A member here helped me with that and sent me the pipe text version.  This completed my long search.

I also never saw a Luminara with "removable cloak text"  I'm considering buying 2 for $17
including shipping.  Anyone interested in one for $8.50 plus frieght.

Do you think variations like this will be sought after in years to come?  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 02:54 PM »
Good question, I don't think they will be worth huge money (look at all of the silly errors of the PoTF2 stuff) but there will be people willing to buy legitimate figure variations...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 03:06 PM »
While I think intentional variations made difficult to find intentionally is dumb on Hasbro's part, and frustrating, I personally like the idea of the Imperial Officer figures...

I've not got either of them except the POTJ one, so if anyone is inclined to help me out...  ***Hint hint hint*** :)

But that's been the only variant I found interesting in Saga really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 03:10 PM »
I was lucky to get my Blonde Imperial Officer at a local action figure store.
I hope you didn't pay to much for yours of ebay Scott.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 03:27 PM »
I can't remember, I think it was around $15 shipped...sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do you know :-*

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2003, 04:00 PM »
Hello, I picked up two Padme's with mole's and backgrounds from KB yesterday.  One had a distinct mole on the high check area, the other a note so distinct mole on the lower cheek.

To the staff, has anyone seen or reported both of these variations?  I did not see a distinction on the variation checklist and it states to ask a staff member.

Thanks,

Fish

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 12:40 PM »
i stopped looking a long time ago, but i have never seen and still need a Dexter w/ insert.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 11:02 PM »
Sorry I haven't chimed in sooner!

First, if a major change occurs due to an error in manufacturing (text especially) that first one is rare and becuase it goes through changes (error, sticker, printed), it becomes out of print and off the pegs quickly. Some get attention and attract enough interest to create a demand that increases the value. I think over time, these will still hold their value and probably increase, but I am not an oracle or very good with judging the market...

The most difficult variations/errors I own are...

#1-16 with background inserts
Clone Trooper - missing black paint on visor
Clone Trooper - missing dots on photo
Bloody Luke
Luminara Unduli - cloak text visible/no bronze paint on necklace
Dexter w/insert - pipe text visible
Padme (Arena) with background insert and mole
Padme Amidala (Coruscant Attack) - w/correction sticker
Super Battle Droid - with correction sticker
both R2-D2 leg variations

Anyway, I have quite a few. The one's I covet are the original Super Battle Droid with the error printed on the back, all Imperial Officer and Rebel Soldier head sculpts, Kit Fisto with lightsaber packaged in bubble (not in hand) and Jango or Boba Fett without the black visor paint.

As for the questions...

Luminara is worth it I think. It's a hard find and a nice piece to have. I do not collect for value, I try and collect figures I like and figures that other traders want so I can get what I want. Any of the original text variaitons are good to have because there is always going to be the collector that is out looking for these things. I had the error text Super Battle Droid and traded it and recently tried to get it from someone and they were more interested in trading POTF2 ss/lt figures than that variaiton. I also am trading my Clone w/o black visor paint for a considerable amount of good figures. It's hard to let go of, but if the price is right...

When the stickers start coming into play (i.e. 'Force Action', or 'Slashing Saber Action' it can get pretty out-of-control). My rule of thumb is if there is a change to the figure packaging (text or photo) or a change in the actual figure (or error that is reported enough to warrant a variation tag) it's worth grabbing. Some (like Han Solo with white or silver belt lever) will never really be that big a deal because it is difficult to gauge which is the more rare of the 2.

I am very interested in any images I can get as verification of the existence of any and all variations and/or errors that are not on our lists. If you find one, send it in please! I am working on starting some forum threads with resources from our checklists and those that have contributed. Thanks and good hunting!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 11:47 PM by Thomas Grey »
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."