Author Topic: How Your Collection Has Grown...  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
How Your Collection Has Grown...
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:35 PM »
While re-arranging some things in our office/collection room this weekend, it got me to thinking how quickly all of this has grown.  Although I don't have nearly as much stuff as many people here, I still have more than enough, and it is funny to think how things have changed over the years.  I really got into modern collecting around the time TPM was going to come out.  The first modern figures I bought were the POTF2 commtech Luke and Han, which at the time I thought were amazing after the vintage figures.  I had seen the initial POTF2 waves off and on in the stores, but just wasn't really into collecting at that point.  After that, I started picking up more POTF2 stuff, and buying loose figures online as well.  When I started, one shelf on our desk (which is probably a foot wide and about 6-8" deep) held my entire collection (vintage stuff from childhood being packed up).  Slowly, it spread to a second shelf the same size, and when I outgrew that area, it went to the top of the desk.  After awhile, my wife decided I needed more room, so she picked up a 6 foot tall, 5 shelf bookcase.  Before long, those shelves were full and I had boxed POTF2/POTJ/Ep1 vehicles stacking up on either side of it.  Long story short, I went from a small, foot wide shelf of figures to a bookshelf, two glass display cases, 5 large shelves in the closet, two storage containers, two "decorative" shelves of Unleashed, and space on the desk.  I try to keep displaying all of my stuff, but I'm getting to the point where some of it may need to be packed up.  Have any of you outgrown your display area?  How has your collection grown over the years?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: How Your Collection Has Grown...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 10:16 PM »
Have any of you outgrown your display area?  How has your collection grown over the years?

Three times now. I'm living in the fourth different home since POTF2 started back up in '95, and once again I am out of space. Of course, I didn't move all of those other times because I ran out of space, but I did manage to move into a larger setting each time. And as of right now, I'm out of space because my girlfriend moved in a few months back and I had to pack up some of the stuff to make room for her crap stuff.

But my collection has grown pretty rapidly, and pretty steadily, over the years. I've been through one or two "lulls" where I get disheartened by not finding any new stuff, or when the amount of money I spend really gets me down, but then I snap out of it and end up going back and buying up all the stuff that I missed over the past few weeks/months and end up back in the same boat. I've actually started getting rid of some stuff, not too much, but a little bit that was really "extra" and I don't know why I bought so much in the first place. When I started out, it was two of everything - one open and one carded/boxed. Slowly I was able to ween myself off of that horrible idea, with the exception of 3/75" figures - I still need two of each of those. But everything else has dwindled down to one of everything, and it all gets opened. Eventually  ;)

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Well, I just started collecting with the Revenge of the Sith line and the majority of my collection is Clones and main characters. Needless to say, I haven't taken up too much room but I purchased a large bookcase that will, undoubtedly, be filled with Star Wars figures soon enough.
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 08:40 PM »
I am lucky enough to have enough rooms in the house to display everything.  It also doesn't hurt to be the female and the interior designer as well  ;).

My Master Replica collection has forced me to cut back on other purchases just do to the size that it takes up.  I had to dump my unleashed line, most of my vehicles and open all figures.   The opened figures take up far less space (obviously) but the dusting sucks. :P   The 12" doll collection has also swelled and they now have a room all to themselves.  I won't ever quit so sooner or later I am going to have to boot Barbie out of the last Star Wars free room in the house!!

I need a place like Steve Sansweet!!
Beth

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 06:18 PM »
The opened figures take up far less space (obviously) but the dusting sucks. :P

That's why you need to get figure cases that have glass doors on the front, to keep out most of the dust. I was surprised that the inside of the cases does still get dusty, but not nearly as bad as if they didn't have doors.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 01:00 AM »
It's funny looking back at old pictures of my collection.
There was just a table with an atst and a few micro machines.
It all started up full on with the release of potf2 , I opened everything and had my figures all over, then I happened upon the online community and thats when things went into overdrive.
Seeing collections with carded figures all over the wall , I knew I wanted to do that , so I started getting figures that were carded as close to mint as possible, this continues into potj, ep1 and the saga line.
Now when things started getting stupid with the rereleases on the saga cards I told myself no more carded figures.This is something that I still stay with, I've also just decided that I dont want any prequel stuff anymore and have been selling or trading alot of my stuff.
I've also gone into the Gentle Giant mini bust, maquette and bust ups lines as well as the odd Master Replicas items. Now with saga2 coming out the decision is what to purchase , my completist mentality is gone and I can now look and pick and choose what I like as opposed to what I think I needed to complete a set even if I thought the figure was crap.
So my collection has actually grown and evolved over the last 10 years into something i'm very very proud of.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself