Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Previous Months  (Read 112727 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 4 - DROIDS!
« Reply #390 on: August 14, 2005, 10:45 PM »
Well, I finished my Droids - R3-J1 and 5-LOM!

Don't know if I'm supposed to wait until the end of the month, but since so many others have already jumped in, I'll do the same!   ;)

First Up, R3-J1:

Built from:
- PotF2 R2-D2 Body
- "custom dome" - built from a $0.25 candy machine capsule dremeled down to fit
- A Bit of Paint

And a closer look at what's under the dome...

Inner Head Parts:
- various parts including:
   a TIE Pilot chest box,
   a FB Luke Macrobinocular,
   2-1B medical thingy,
   and a few other odds and ends.

Next Up, my 5-LOM droid:

5-LOM is an old worn $1 vinty "Zuckuss" (aka 4-LOM) that was completely re-painted.  He's an accounting droid who was assigned to Ree-Yees, but unbeknowns to the Gran he's secretly a spy droid for Jabba.  ;)

Hopefully I met your requirements CHEWIE (Astromech has custom Dome, Protocol Droid uses no 3PO parts ;)).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2005, 02:58 AM »
Those are really nice, guys please keep posting more, I dont have as much talent and just like looking at all your cool work.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2005, 09:44 AM »
Aaah. The old plastic candy container trick! I haven't seen anyone do that since before Hasbro made the R3 droids. Looks great. I love the brains.

For my R2 Cooler, I'm using a R3 droid with the brains removed and the dome cut so you can reach in for a drink. I'm going to find some of those doll house bottles at Michaels today.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2005, 09:59 AM »
aaargh!  I found out last night the scale I'm using to make my hk-47 isnt correct.  He's tiny compared to the other figures.  So, I'm scrapping it and starting fresh.  In the game, he's almost the tallest character you play!
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 16, 2005, 10:20 AM »
Jeff, your customs look great!  I really like the Astromech droid.  It's awesome.  I might suggest painting his "brains" a little bit, maybe a bit of yellow or red or blue in some areas to give the illusion of wires or something.  But even as it is, it rocks.

The protocol looking droid looks good too.  I've been wanting to get a cheap vintage Zuckuss for something like this actually.  I think that maybe a touch of dry brushing with some mixtures of tan, yellow, white and black might give him more of a roughed up look; especially considering he's supposed to be in Jabba's Palace.

Great job on both of these!

For mine, I am probably making a protocol droid, but not an astromech... the second droid might be some sort of loadlifter droid.  But I'm not sure just yet.

:P

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2005, 01:43 PM »
I'm probably going to have my pic up sometime today once I get back home. The one I was working on didn't quite pan out like I hoped. But the parts I had left over from my original project ended up looking much cooler once I put them together. Ah well, someday I'll have a Bollux droid to call my own. :(

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Here is my UG-L1 droid

He took a little under a day to make. I started out trying to make a Bollux and Blue max, but that road only led to tears. But luckily I got to cobble together the rest of the parts and make this ....thing. Its so ugly it's cool.
His head arms and legs come from a Dollar tree X-treme racer figure. Its some horrible, cheap Power renger knock-off it's even got a Power ranger head. But it was in scale so I snagged it. The torso is a EII saga 3PO that I popped the head and limbs off of.  The chestplate is a B.A.T.'s from G.I.Joe that I added by drilling a hole into the 3PO chest to make fit. Its removable, but I forgoot to snap a pic of that.

Since hes supposed to be ancient I dry brushed a lot of rust on to it. I'm working on a backstory for him right now. He's a very bitter robot because of his name. ;D
Let me know what you think.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2005, 03:56 PM »
pretty good for just throwin stuff together like that!  I love just finding junk and making it into treasure.
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 16, 2005, 03:58 PM »
I just wish I could take pics worth a damn. He looks a lot better in person. Hes still ugly as hell but he looks better. ;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 16, 2005, 04:04 PM »
That is the uglest droid I've ever seen! :o

I love it! That's a great use of lots of cheap bootleg-type parts. You should make it a card and call the series 'Galaxy Wars' with a picture of the droid standing next to a upright calculator. Put the card on cardboard paper with no back side.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 16, 2005, 04:31 PM »
Thats funny, thats exactly what the package looked like when I bought it. ???
I'm not kidding.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 16, 2005, 04:46 PM »
I really like this droid.  Something very OT about it, and I could see him on the Sandcrawler or something.  I like all of the parts you used, very creative and looks like some knock off droid that has had some neglectful owners... great name for him too!

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #402 on: August 17, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Jeff - I love that R3 unit!  Those "brains" look great - interesting use of parts on that one.  The 5-LOM is really good too, I agree with CHEWIE though - a bit of weathering and drybrushing would make him look worn out  ;)

Darth Ennis - Cool custom!  I love the name, great stuff!  The parts look good, kinda like he was made out of previous droids (frankendroid?)  ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline JediSpyke

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 17, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Here is my UG-L1 droid

He took a little under a day to make. I started out trying to make a Bollux and Blue max, but that road only led to tears. But luckily I got to cobble together the rest of the parts and make this ....thing. Its so ugly it's cool.
His head arms and legs come from a Dollar tree X-treme racer figure. Its some horrible, cheap Power renger knock-off it's even got a Power ranger head. But it was in scale so I snagged it. The torso is a EII saga 3PO that I popped the head and limbs off of.  The chestplate is a B.A.T.'s from G.I.Joe that I added by drilling a hole into the 3PO chest to make fit. Its removable, but I forgoot to snap a pic of that.

Now why would he be bitter? I could understand if his name had been BT-UGL1.... ;)

Really slick use of the BAT panel. I had thought about picking up a two pack of those and using the more advanced head as the head for a UVH droid. Still may do that... If those BATs had less human looking legs, I really would have snagged them.

Anyway, as others have said, that's a nice mix of cheap fodder parts. I sure wish they'd release more figure lines that are in scale with SW!!

Spyke

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 17, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback on UG-L1. He was my first attempt at weathering, the orange splotches are supposed to be rust. He kinda grows on you after a while.  ;D All I can say is check the everythings a buck type stores you never know what you'll find. For a dollar you really cant go wrong.  Jedispyke the second B.A.T. has lower legs that are more mechanical looking. You can still find them at Family Dollar stores for around 2.00 single carded.