Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Previous Months  (Read 113303 times)

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 5 - Bounty Hunters and Terrorists!
« Reply #705 on: September 30, 2005, 09:31 PM »
My entry for the September 2005 Customizing Challenge

His name is Eidolon, formerly known as CT 44/001.  Previously served as Lieutenant to Commander Cody in the 212th Attack Battalion, Shadow Company.  Prior to that he served under Commander Fordo on Muunilinst, and Hypori, receiving promotions to Captain, then Lieutenant for outstanding service rendered.  After the Jedi Rebellion, he left galactic military life to pursue a more lucrative and satisfying career in bounty hunting.  He specializes in Long Range Recoveries and Assassinations, often contracting with the Galactic Empire to hunt down the ever-elusive Jedi traitors.  His handiwork in that regard is frequently broadcast over Imperial Holovision.

Figured I'd give him some kind of back story to make up for the fact that he is, after all, yet ANOTHER clone custom.  This was my first time messing with sculpting, and I learned a lot.  This guy took forever!

Eidolon

Now, lemme have it!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #706 on: September 30, 2005, 09:58 PM »
I like it!
The sculpting is really good, especially for your first attempt.  He's pretty "buff," but I guess he'd have to if he was hunting down Jedi dogs!
How did you make the visor? 

The only thing that doesn't really do it for me is the chest design - it's a little hard to distinguish the colors (although that could very well be my monitor). 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 30, 2005, 10:10 PM »
The only thing that doesn't really do it for me is the chest design - it's a little hard to distinguish the colors

Yeah, this was the exact figure I was griping about in my Lack of Direction thread.  His chest literally bugged the shite out of me, and I finally tossed in the towel and stopped fudging with his chest, and much of the rest of him.

How did you make the visor?

My first attempt at a Cody-like visor: 
I took the rubber treading that comes with many Lego sets (like ones with tractors), and chopped, glued, filled, and sanded until it looked somewhat decent.  First I made a template for the side visor pieces from the same rubber treading.  Then, using wood carving tools I made the cuts for additional ones.  I then glued the bare rubber pieces in place, let it dry, then filled in the gaps with Sculpey.  Finally, I sealed the Sculpey with generous amounts of super glue, let it dry (overnight, so it stayed hard), sanded to shape, then painted.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 6 - BLUE HARVEST
« Reply #708 on: October 1, 2005, 11:01 AM »
This sounds like a fun concept... I think I'll try my luck and see what happens  :D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
OK, so I'm a little late, at least I got my WiP in on time.   :-[

I thought about fiddling with the skin color for my BH, but I really like the shade of green now.  I did go back and touch up the pants a bit and also re-painted the torso and touched up the chestplate and dry-brushed the arms a bit (cn't make it out too well in the pictures though).  Here is the finished product -

Bounty Hunter Torpas P'hil, one of the most dangerous Salamandro Bounty Hunters to ever work for Jabba the Hutt.

OK, so a "dangerous" Salamandro is like saying a "dangerous" bunny rabbit.  As Phruby guessed, I was shooting for a bit of "Marvel" for my inspiration - one of those classic Marvel Bounty Hunters that probably any of us could escape from!   :D

This guy found his way into Jabba's employ when Jabba helped his tribe "acquire" some medical supplies they needed.  To pay for the supplies, the tribe sold Torpas to Jabba.  Jabba was a bit concerned as to what to do with Torpas here, until he discoverd Torpas' ability to "see" where others couldn't. 

For instance, he had an uncanny ability to "see" where prey was likely hiding, even in the most crowded cities..  Maybe it was the force, maybe just keen eyesight with those big eyes.  Jabba often sent Torpas along with the "real" bounty hunters when a particularily nasty mark goes off the grid. 

So, there's the story on my Bounty Hunter.  On to next month!  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
bjardkerr - I really like this custom of yours.  I think the buffness to him is actually a good thing and sets him apart from a Clone Trooper, and I think the sculpting on it may not have turned out exactly like you intented, but I think it gives him some character and makes the chest armor look like it's seen a lot of action in various battles and hunts.   All of his accessories are well placed too and give him a meaner look.  I'm very impressed with the visor too, it looks factory made. 

Jeff - This does have a Marvel look to him.  It seems like a friend of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or something.  Very creative idea, I would personally darken his skin some and make the boots black, but it's still a fun custom the way you made him.

:P

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #711 on: October 3, 2005, 09:35 PM »
my bounty hunter will be late is that ok
 ???

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #712 on: October 3, 2005, 10:20 PM »
You've still got a few days to get it in late. :)
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 5, 2005, 09:21 PM »
So, anyone getting started on this yet?

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 6, 2005, 01:45 AM »
I've assembled some pieces, but that's about it. Busy busy busy.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 6, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Same here, and if I get it finished I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised - it's not a clone or clone derivative!  :D

B

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 6, 2005, 02:04 PM »
I am looking very forward to seeing what you guys come up with.  I need to decide what I am going to make... so far, I am not sure.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #717 on: October 6, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I need to decide what I am going to make... so far, I am not sure.

Ditto.  I have no idea what to do.   ???

Last time, I liked the idea of trying a Marvel-esque Bounty Hunter to make it a bit different from the norm, but this time there is no norm!   :D

Still not sure if I should do a scary alien custom or one of those "candy corn" troopers! 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 6, 2005, 02:13 PM »
There are a lot of cool zombie like figures from the Army of Darkness line that one could use for this.

I am thinking of making a couple of aliens definitely, and maybe an alternate version of a well known character from the films.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Some chewied up clones would work. The gorier the better.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours