Author Topic: darth_ripley's customs - UPDATE Roron Corobb Version 2 7/8/06!  (Read 26099 times)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: darth_ripley's customs - UPDATE Chestburster Complete!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005, 07:02 PM »
So cool!  Well worth the wait Darth_Ripley!  I like the interchangeable royal guard head.

That armored Obi-Wan looks great.  It looks like I missed out on the armored Obi-Wan craze  :-\   :P
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Wow, AMAZING job on the chest burster!  Wonderful!  May I ask what head you used for that, I don't think I've seen it before (either that or your hair sculpting is so brilliant that it perfectly conceals the origins of the head.)

Bravo.  Great work.

Thanks Quazar  :) the head is a GI Joe Scarlett head and the body is an EU Jedi Leia.

Thanks for the nice comments Gregorbian! glad to see you back and i enjoyed your new updated 12" too  :)

i'll have a 12" update in a couple of weeks, i am not feeling too well right now so i've been in bed most of the day, haven't felt like doing anything blah  :-\

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 03:26 PM »
I know what you mean rip, i opted for the couch yesterday afternoon rather than my custom table.
Watched half a movie till i fell asleep. When i woke, my mom and aunt visted and my wife retunred from the malls, so there was no time left for anything after that.

My leave work early today( its a ghost-town in here) and go home and accomplish something...

Offline Darth Tedious

• Youngling
  • Who's scruffy lookin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 09:58 AM »
Love the Obi-Wan. I'm glad you went to the effort to paint the under-suit brown instead of leaving it black. Looks way better. Nice work. Nice... gorey... work.  ;)

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 09:20 PM »
In a word: AWESOME. The weathered clones look great, and the self custom with the chestburster came out better than I imagined. Aren't you glad you didn't use that ugly old Mara Jade head?

The Obi Wan is also very nice. I like the detail you added to the fabric.

I look forward to seeing a lot more from you in the new year, Darth_Ripley!

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #20 on: January 2, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Hooray!  It's done!  8)

Great job on your self-portrait, Ripley.  It's creepy -- but cool!  The chestbursters always used to scare the heck out of me in the Alien movies, but your figure seems to be taking it very well, as people have been mentioning.  (In the 2nd photo down, she even seems a little melancholy...)  The blood spattering is a great touch and looks very convincing.  The hair you added to the Scarlett head worked out welll, too.   

One question about this figure: what body and legs did you use?  It's not often that one comes across non-boot-wearing legs in the SW figure universe, but they are so useful for things like self-customs.

Obi-Wan in his mixed clone / Jedi gear looks very nice, too.  Which of the Obi-Wan heads did you use?  Whichever one it was, it was a good choice, as it bears a good resemblance to Ewan MacGregor.

Keep up the fine work.  We'll be watching this space!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 3, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Thanks for all the great comments DD & Findswoman -- its great to see you both back again!

DD - you were totally right about the Mara Jade head - ick!  :P i like the Scarlett head much better and like i said i end up looking somber when i wear that outfit so it fits me lol!

Findswoman - I used the EU Jedi Leia figure, the one from Dark Empire. I sculpted the pants to not be all baggy like Hasbro did it, but she doesn't wear any boots. i also like the body because she doesn't have a huge chest either. here's a link to how it started from Yakface's toyguide.

http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/html/potf2/3dscene/08.html

On the Obi-Wan clone, i used the # 55 Pilot Obi-Wan along with a #41 SA Clone.  the Pilot Kenobi has an awesome head sculpt and has a nice body too, very useful fodder for multiple Jedi creations :)

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #22 on: January 4, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that particular Leia before... what a great base for just normal Human women in everyday, non-fancy clothes.  Too bad she's probably ridiculously rare, like so many other EU figures! :-\

Good work once again, Ripley.  Keep 'em coming!  8)

... the Findswoman

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: darth_ripley's customs - UPDATE Neyo & more!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 12:10 AM »
I got sick right around New Years and it kinda slowed me down, but i managed to get a couple more projects off my desk & completed.

First up is Commander Neyo. This is a #41 Target Clone & a Bantha5 kit. my husband cut the styrene straps for me and made the shoulder pauldron out of styrene too. he also made the buckle on the strap across the chest out of a little thicker styrene we have. the strap goes through the buckle and then loops through another buckle opening cut in the styrene near the shoulder. i tried to get it as accurate as possible and painted the emblem on the helmet - its not a decal. i tried to weather it just like the reference shots i studied. i guessed at the strap configuration on the back and if its not totally accurate that's ok. overall, i like the way it turned out. i'm a little burned out on clones, but i had this project lined up to do and wanted it done.

since i did a season 2 Clone Wars obi-wan in clone disguise, i wanted to do a season 1 Clone Wars obi-wan clone disguise but with soft goods.  the body is a Tank Gunner, the head is from the Battle Pack and the robe is from the AOTC pilot obi-wan. i repainted the hair to more the right shade of brown and my husband helped cut and engineer the robe and clasps as well. i like the soft goods on this for a change, it was easy to do. i was working on this before the group project so that's why he's not there.  ;)

as always all comments are welcome  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 12:20 AM by darth_ripley »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: darth_ripley's customs - UPDATE Neyo & More!
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 09:58 AM »
Great! You finally made that Neyo you talked about months ago. He looks great. I like the little buckle and different color strap on his back. Well done.

The robe on obiwan came out great. It looks like it fits very well. I like how the button clasps on the sholders are the right size. Some people make these things way too big. These are just right. Good change of heads and hair color there.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 10:37 AM »
While I just don't like that Obi Wan design (the cartoon's fault, not yours) you did do a nice job pulling that off.  Good use of soft goods and he does look like a very accurate depiction of the cartoon.

The Neyo on the other hand, looks scary real!  What a great paint job you did on this kit from Bantha5.  One of the best versions I've seen... what weathering!  And the strap... wow.

:P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 10:45 AM »
I think the Neyo looks great.  The weathering details are top notch and the strap is very well made.   Can you help a newbie out though.  What is the "kit from Bantha5"?  Thanks.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Stunning Neyo Rip.
Very nice weathering and painting.
I'm not the biggest fan of soft goods, but i always love to see a obi wan in clone
armor.
Great customs!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Bantha5 is a guy named Ryan Shaw. He has a kit up for sale for about $10 that lets you make Neyo and Cody. He was selling them on RS about six months ago.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 12:33 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words -- it really means a lot coming from experienced customizers, artists here that i really look up to. it's nice to have genuine comments/critiques too rather than "cool" or "sweet".  i know that clones have been pretty overworked, but i want to do all the commanders myself, so look for Cody & Gree in the future in between other projects.

Phruby, thanks for answering BrentS...i just didn't want anyone to think that i sculpted the helmet. Ryan does top notch work. i also got a Cody from him that i will be working on next.

i should have another update in a couple of days...a 12" update to be more specific  8)