Author Topic: Group Project #IX - Tonnika Sisters  (Read 33558 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Group Project #IX - Tonnika Sisters
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Thanks Phruby - I might sculpt the collar, but I'm not sure yet - I really try to avoid sculpting if I can - it's not my strong suit!

For the hair, what I did was use two separate types of thread, one thin, one thick (almost like shoestring).

Before the head was on the figure, I removed her "real hair" - the head is from the SAGA Padme Pilot for both figures. 

Then I put the head on, and wrapped the thin thread tightly around my pinky finger about 10-15 times, then would glue it in place so each strand of thread would stay together.  After it dried, I would cut off the wound thread with one snip, then I would have one solid section of "hair."  I did that about 6 or 7 times and glued each one to her head.

Then I realized that I needed to build up the top of her head, so I drilled a small hole in the top of it - and stuck in a piece of a lightsaber into it to give something to build hair around.

At that point I used the thicker thread, and glued/wound it around the small piece of lightsaber sticking out.  Then used the thin thread to wrap in turn around that.  A touch of glue here and there, and now I need to paint the figure, and touch up the hair a bit.

I'll probably use the same method for the other sister.

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2005, 11:48 AM »
Wow! Now I know why it took you over three hours to do the hair. That's some impressive results. I think you will be able to get away with just painting the neck collar. I had to cover up some detail while you don't need to do that. The collar piece should look like part of the body glove anyway. 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Phruby, Your sisters turned out great!  Reall like how you did that hair!
Chewie, off to a great start...3 1/2 hours...you usually get 4 figures done in 3 1/2 hours!

Would you believe i havent started mine yet???

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2005, 04:32 PM »
Thanks Phruby.  I'll probably just paint the collars on. 

Glassman, yeah this took me forever... first time I've tried making hair like this, and I have clumsy hands.  You better hurry up on yours!   ;)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Thanks Greg. I was hoping the hair wouldn't look like my sith witch's hair. Sometimes cold medicine makes for interesting results.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2005, 06:55 PM »
Phruby your's turned out fantastic! The hair is great it isn't too thick and looks perfect on them. The paint app is nece and smooth, they reall look like production figures.

CHEWIE you are off to a great start. Your hair looks good too. I can't wait to see the finished version. :)

I finally started on mine today. I should have bought parts a long time ago, I bought a plane ticket to AZ and did all my Christmas shopping the other day so I am completely broke.  I had to use what ever I could find lying around. I'm fine with the torso and the head, and I think I can make the arms work with a bit of sanding/sculpting on the end of the sleeves. But I'm reallly not sure about the legs. They seem to be about the right length and thickness but the pants are too baggy. I've got a set of Leia endor celebration legs, but I'd need to modify them pretty heavily to get the boots on. I leave on the 28th and with Christmas I don't have too much time, what do you guys think, should I keep these or try and modify the other ones?

"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2005, 09:53 PM »
As usual, I'm way behind as usual, but I've got a lot of progress to report, but unfortunately no pics to post. Not having my own internet access REALLY SUCKS!!!
 But there is good news. One of my freinds says he will help me post my pics, but its now bwecome a matter of actually meeting up with him during this busy Christmas season. Tennessee really thrives during this time of year. So hopefully ill get all of my pics up in the next week or so.

But on to the progress report. ;D I finally managed to track down my Luninaras. There were thousands of her on the shelf at the Knoxville TRU ( not much else though) I stripped off both of the skirt peices and sanded down the ridges on the boots and gauntlets Ive got my padme head all sanded down but unfortunately I seem to have misplaced the leia head I was going to use. Ill probabluy start puttying tonight or tomorrow.

and since Phrubys thread Idea seemed to work pretty well on his, Im probably stopping at wally world on the way home tonight to pick up some thread of my own.

BTW everyones progress shots look pretty good these are all coming out really nice. Good work guys.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2005, 10:39 PM »
I think this is going to be a good look Ryan. No know knows what the sisters look like from the stomach down. For all we know they could be wearing those boots. I say go for it. It will make a nice change.

I can't wait to see yours Darth_Ennis. Group projects have a deadline of the end of year but if you keep us updated on progress it could be done anytime. Just look how long it took Darth_Ripley to show off her chest...buster. ;)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2005, 11:51 AM »
there are full body pics of the sisters on the ffurg casting call reference page for the sisters.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 11:39 AM by Glassman6 »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2005, 12:44 AM »
Wow. I've never seen that picture before. I always wondered why everybody made the same exact figure even though we never saw half of the ladys.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2005, 09:17 PM »
One week to go. :o

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2005, 10:06 AM »
I'm starting my head sculpt tonight.
I was so wiped out yesterday that i didnt even make an attempt other than to dig up my molds of Ayya Vida.  That's gonna be my base. I love that figure.
I may cast the boots from Pilot padme aslo.
The rest will be sculpted on to the cast of Ayya.

When is the actual finish date?  Friday the 30th or Saturday the 31st? 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 10:07 AM by Glassman6 »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Ryan, you are off to a good start.  I actually really like your parts selection.

The thread I'm using on the hair is a dark blue... I hope I can paint it.  Shouldn't be too hard.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2005, 12:32 PM »
The first second of 2006 is when we are done.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2005, 12:39 PM »
I'll get #2's hair done tomorrow night I hope, and then be able to paint them both on Friday.