Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 116998 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Re: XBox 360
« Reply #360 on: April 24, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Funny how things happen. My X-Box is apparently fixed. They received it on the 22nd and fixed it today and sent it out today. Unless they just sent me a refurbished one I am really surprised they fixed it so quickly.

Watch out for those refurbished ones.

You loose info. For instance Halo Map packs. You'd have to redownload them and in some cases may have to pay for them again.

Stuff downloaded to your Xbox goes with the console itself, not you hard drive or gamertag. So if they kept your console and gave you another one, the licenses to the stuff you downloaded are with your original box and NOT the new one.

It's a real pain in the ass for those who have to send their consoles in. I hope like hell I never have to do that. Microsoft should be more cognizant of that and allow you to redownload for free anything you had on all of your GT's that were originated from your console. They're making enough money, it's not like their losing any by doing that and it's good customer service.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 24, 2009, 08:03 PM »
All that stuff goes to your X-Box? I had no idea. I thought it went to your harddrive. Well that sucks. I hope I don't have to pay for them again if I have to redownload them.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Funny how things happen. My X-Box is apparently fixed. They received it on the 22nd and fixed it today and sent it out today. Unless they just sent me a refurbished one I am really surprised they fixed it so quickly.

Watch out for those refurbished ones.

You loose info. For instance Halo Map packs. You'd have to redownload them and in some cases may have to pay for them again.

Stuff downloaded to your Xbox goes with the console itself, not you hard drive or gamertag. So if they kept your console and gave you another one, the licenses to the stuff you downloaded are with your original box and NOT the new one.

It's a real pain in the ass for those who have to send their consoles in. I hope like hell I never have to do that. Microsoft should be more cognizant of that and allow you to redownload for free anything you had on all of your GT's that were originated from your console. They're making enough money, it's not like their losing any by doing that and it's good customer service.

I've gone through three different systems and have never once had to re-download anything. The system itself has almost no memory space, so you can't even save anything on there, and certainly nothing as big as a map pack. What little it has it uses like RAM. You are supposed to remove the hard drive before you send in the system anyways. There is no way you should be losing anything.

And all downloads are linked to your gamertag NOT any particular console. Once you pay for something there's a record of it and you don't have to pay for it if you download it again with the same gamertag. I have heard of some weird cases where it doesn't work, but anytime I've redownloaded something I've never had a problem. I used to have the regular Pro version when it came out then it went RRoD on me. Rather than send it in, I returned to to Costco, got a full refund and then upgraded to the Elite. I just recovered my gamertag and was able to redownload most everything free.

I don't know who told you things like map packs go onto the console Sal, but it is flat out untrue. Check your hard drive's memory specs and you'll see it is saved on there, just like everything else. That's why you can easily plug your hard drive into a console and play on it like it is yours. I've done this several times with my brother's system at my parent's house. When I go down to visit and I don't feel like bring my system, I'll just bring the hard drive and I can play any of my games with my gamertag, and use all my saved files, map packs included.
"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 25, 2009, 12:19 AM »
Thanks for the info Ryan. It eases my mind.
I remember my dream now.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 28, 2009, 11:54 PM »
I remember my dream now.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35 AM »
I have a few Xbox questions so I figured I would bump this thread rather than read through and try to find the answers.

1. I've been fooling around lately and hooking my 360 up to my laptop, which supports HD. I bought an HDMI cable but forgot that the Arcade AV cable friggin blocks the HDMI output on the console, so I've been looking into the HD AV cables. The problem is there are two different cables that I am looking at.

- VGA HD Cable

- HD AV Cable

I'm thinking the VGA HD cable would be best for what I need (hooking the 360 to a laptop/computer screen) but I just wanted to double check and see if anyone here knew which cable would work better.

2. I'm planning on getting a Hard Drive so I can get set up to Xbox Live soon, and I want to know if you HAVE to have the $100 adapter that Microsoft sells in order to get set up wirelessly. I have a small network adapter I bought when I used to play PS2 games online so I was planning on using that but knowing Microsoft, you can't use any non-Microsoft accessories. Just another question I know someone here knows the answer to.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 27, 2009, 10:40 AM »
They sell a dongle adaptor to allow you to connect to both ports.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #367 on: May 28, 2009, 01:28 AM »
I can't get my XBL up and running at all and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...

At my gf's place there's a Netgear router running the network and it keeps saying the IP address failed when I try testing the XBL connection.

This is seriously pissing me off. >:(

Netgear's also a bunch of bitches too...  They can eat a big bag of dicks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #368 on: June 3, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I just got an XBOX 360 Arcade edition as a gift from my brother and I'm very new to next gen systems and am without an HD tv/monitor. Can anyone recommend a few good/must have games to start out with for sports, first person shooters, flight/air combat sims and of course Star Wars?
« Last Edit: June 3, 2009, 02:52 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #369 on: June 3, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Welcome to the club!

FPS:  Get Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, without a doubt.  Great single-player campaign, even better multiplayer.  Halo 3 and The Orange Box (Half Life) are also very good.  Bioshock is also an incredible game, well-worth looking into.  Bioshock and Orange Box are cheap now--Orange Box especially is a really good pick up at around $20--tremendous amount of gameplay for the money.

SW:  Lego SW: The Complete Saga and SW: The Force Unleashed are really the only two SW titles on the 360 right now.  I can absolutely recommend the Lego game (if you haven't already played it elsewhere).  Haven't played TFU enough to say.  However, the 360 is backwards-compatible with most of the old SW games on the original Xbox, so maybe pick up one of the KOTOR games or Battlefront games if you haven't already played those elsewhere.

Can't speak on the other genres.

This might be of help:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/

Would also recommend picking up a hard drive at some point.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #370 on: June 3, 2009, 03:47 PM »
Jayson...  What Matt said, basically.

I'd also recommend COD: World at War for a FPS though, and also COD2, which was the original COD game for the 360.  Call of Duty 2 is outstanding and was the game everyone was playing over and over when the XB360 came out because it was really all they had for a while.  It's a great WW2 FPS game.  World at War is also great and has Pacific Theater levels and such.  I'd say it's similar with just a bit more fun sprinkled in.

COD4: Modern Warfare though is outstanding for multi-player.  One of my favorite MP games, expecially if you get on XBLive.  The Single PLayer campaign is great too, but online is a masterpiece.

HALO3 is good but I've never been a diehard HALO fan for the SP games.  I like the mulitiplayer for it better.  HALO Wars is out too but I've never played it.  I'm pretty sure it's just basically new maps and stuff for the HALO series, which is a good thing for multiplayer.

I would also recommend Left 4 Dead if you're into zombies and fast-paced FPS games.  It's a quick game, but it's outstanding and again a fun game to play in MP with friends or online.

The Force Unleashed is definitely good as well.  Graphically it's impressive and the gameplay is fun.  It can be a tad frustrating at times, and a little wonky to control at first, but it's definitely a good game.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #371 on: June 3, 2009, 07:49 PM »
I just got an XBOX 360 Arcade edition as a gift from my brother and I'm very new to next gen systems and am without an HD tv/monitor. Can anyone recommend a few good/must have games to start out with for sports, first person shooters, flight/air combat sims and of course Star Wars?

Be sure to get you Live set up so we can play sometime. :)

As for my game recommendations I differ from Matt and Jesse in that I really prefer the Halo series over the COD series in every mode, both single and multiplayer. There's a lot more to do, and it is much easier to play with more people. When playing online COD only lets one person play, for Halo you can play online with guests on your Xbox.  I think Halo is a much better game. CoD is still worth picking up though, I'm not saying that the games are bad, Halo is just better. I could go into more detail on that if you'd like me to, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

The Rainbow 6 Vegas games are good for single player. I never play them on MP often enough to give an educated opinion on that aspect. I think they are greatest hits so they may be cheap now too.

HALO3 is good but I've never been a diehard HALO fan for the SP games.  I like the mulitiplayer for it better.  HALO Wars is out too but I've never played it.  I'm pretty sure it's just basically new maps and stuff for the HALO series, which is a good thing for multiplayer.

Halo Wars isn't a FPS at all. If you bought the Special Edition you could It's an RTS (Real Time strategy for those of you who are unaware what that means) that is set within the Halo Universe. It is a little different trying to get used to an RTS on a console, but they actually made it work pretty well. The controls are nice and streamlined and they managed to fit a lot of functions on the controller without leaving you overwhelmed by the controls. Jesse, I'm actually kind of surprised that you aren't more into the Halo campaign/story/universe. It seems like it would be right up your alley. It's a really detailed story with a fully fleshed out and functional and fairly realistic military aspect to it.

The Rainbow 6 Vegas games are good for single player. I never play them on MP often enough to give an educated opinion on that aspect. I think they are greatest hits so they may be cheap now too.

Force Unleashed is definitely worth picking up. It's a fun game for sure, and I really enjoyed the story. The controls can get a bit frustrating from time to time and the hardest difficulty is damned near impossible (I don't know how Robb beat it.) I think I'm in the minority here but I hated the LEGO Star Wars game. It was kind of fun/cute for the first few times I played it, then I thought it was just too repetitive and beating it 100% took FOREVER. But it should be $20 or cheaper if you find it used so it isn't let it sets you back a lot of cash if you don't end up liking it.

One of my favorite games I've been playing a lot lately is Mirror's Edge. Visually it is a beautiful game, the world has a very unique look to it, and it will really make you want to pick up an HD TV. It is a first-person action game. There is some fighting but that isn't at all the core of the gameplay. It's a freerunning game and it is a very out of the box game. It has a simple and fluid control scheme, that is really easy to pick up on. And it is has a little bit of the puzzle aspect to it, trying to figure out the best routes to take. Plus the story is pretty neat too. I can't recommend it enough. (It is single player only BTW)

Another classic that should be cheap and is one of my all time favorites is Assassin's Creed. I think some people may have felt it can get repetitive, but i can get enough of the game. The world is gigantic and there are some stunning visuals. It's another Single player only game but I simply can't get enough of it. I'm so psyched for the sequel, everything they have been showing at E3 has me really excited (this years E3 has given me a full on video game hard on all week, there is so much stuff in the coming year to be excited for.)

Mass Effect is an absolute must have and is also one of my all time favorite games. It is made by BioWare, the company who made KOTOR 1 and is making the new SWTOR game. The game combines the best elements of a sandbox RPG with FPS/3rd Person shooter elements. It's very much an interactive cinematic experience. It's also a single player only game.

The Gears of War series is also very good. I personally like the single player better than the head to head Mulitplayer. It does have online Co-op which is always fun. The Horde mode on Gears 2 is great to play with a few friends.

If  you are interested in stealth combat. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell is the way to go. I really enjoy those games. (They've only made one for the 360 so far, though the next one comes out this holiday season.) It has multiplayer, but I don't think too many people are ever online. I definitely like it more for the campaign than the MP.

I haven't played Left 4 Dead, but I have heard it is fun. Though I'd wait on buying that one. It just came out a few months ago and they already have the sequel coming out within a few months. So there won't be any DLC for the first one, and it will probably drop in price when the new one hits. Or you could just pick up the second one.

As for Sports games it kind of depends on what you are into. I generally suck at them so I don't play them often but if you are looking for a Basketball game NBA 2k9 (by SEGA) is better than NBA '09. (by EA) Generally though EA Sports makes the best sports games. Except for Madden '07 and '08 which flat out sucked, don't waste money on them. I have only played '09 a little but it seems like they were able to fix '07 and '08's problems and it appears to be a much better game.

Like Matt was saying you'll want to pick up a hard drive at some point, it is fairly essential to have. Even if you go for a smaller size. I have the 120 GB and I only have about 10-15 GB left on it.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2009, 07:50 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #372 on: June 3, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Thanks, everyone. It definitely sounds like there is a hard drive in my future and I think a lot of the games you've all suggested are right up my alley.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #373 on: June 4, 2009, 02:34 AM »
Most aren't expensive either...  COD2, COD4, Lego Star Wars...  Those are all pretty inexpensive these days, especially since COD4 has its sequal on the way soon (not counting World at War as a sequal of course).

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 4, 2009, 03:55 AM »
I would go with Gears of War for a FPS. The original is $30 bucks and comes with every multiplayer map already on the disc. If you decide to go for GOW2 I would wait till July as the All Fronts edition will be out with all DLC and goodies.

Halo3 is good as well. I'm not a fan of the online multiplayer but the campaign is great.

The Force Unleashed is fun but is repetative (I just recently 100% this game) as is Lego Star Wars TCS. Ryan let me know if you want some tips on finsihing TFU on Sith Master. But it was probably just luck that I made it through.

On a side note I just was able to pull of getting the Mile High Achievement on COD4 (100% the game as well). After killing the VIP twice in a row I was ready to pull my hair out, but I finally did it.
I remember my dream now.