Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 116995 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Re: XBox 360
« Reply #375 on: June 4, 2009, 02:41 PM »
As for my game recommendations I differ from Matt and Jesse in that I really prefer the Halo series over the COD series in every mode, both single and multiplayer. There's a lot more to do, and it is much easier to play with more people. When playing online COD only lets one person play, for Halo you can play online with guests on your Xbox.  I think Halo is a much better game. CoD is still worth picking up though, I'm not saying that the games are bad, Halo is just better. I could go into more detail on that if you'd like me to, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

I guess it all depends on whether you prefer your shooters to be realistic or cartoony.   :D  I know which one I like better.  (That being said, this thread actually prompted me to break out Halo 3 last night for the first time in months to find a few more skulls unlock a few more achievements, and I'm somewhat looking forward to ODST later this year.)

I think I'm in the minority here but I hated the LEGO Star Wars game. It was kind of fun/cute for the first few times I played it, then I thought it was just too repetitive and beating it 100% took FOREVER.

I actually agree with this, somewhat.  I played the **** out of the very first Lego SW game (prequel trilogy) way back when, and played through most of the second (original trilogy), so by the time I got around to going through Complete Saga several times, I had already played through most of it several times over, and was about to throw it out the window while trying to get 100%.  That being said, the first playthrough is a blast and even the second playthrough is a blast, too, while trying to go back and unlock everything you weren't able to on the first.  Still worth checking out though, later repetitiveness aside.

Was going to recommend the Gears series (or at least the first--haven't really played the new one), but it's not technically an FPS, so yeah.

Another one worth checking out is Crackdown.  It's not in a genre that Jayson mentioned, but it's a hell of a lot of fun, anyway.  And cheap now, too.

And again I'll mention Bioshock.  One of the most unique, cinematic shooters I've ever played.  Can't have too much love for Bioshock.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #376 on: June 4, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I like HALO well enough, but like Matt mentioned, it's all in what you find most interesting about a FPS.  A big reason HALO loses me for the SP gaming is I just don't find it all that challenging generally.  The challenge is getting 100% more than beating the game itself.  Also, like Matt said, do you prefer realism over "fiction"?

To me, from a multi-player point of view, I like both but prefer the realism of COD4 just a hair more.  The kills are more impressive to me that way.  HALO's are more amusing though, like the gravity hammer, or a laser swords level...  Sticky bombs too.  Good times there.

I like both, but I give COD4 the nod mostly because the sp game is superior to me because it's immersive and more realistic.  I love busting out HALO for mp gaming though, especially with the kids.  For some reason the comical aspect of kills in HALO mp make for many good laughs.  COD4 onlnie or against other people isn't near as funny.  Actually it's downright frustrating in mp if you're not doing good because you're usually getting sniped by someone, or random grenaded.  HALO though, you can laugh at your own death hysterically if it was a good one. 

Before you online game at either of them though, play and beat both sp games for them, as you need it to compete generally.  I went into both online "green" and got my ass sumarilly handed to me.  By people ranging in age from 8 to 13 at the time.  It's sad.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 5, 2009, 08:17 AM »
I definitely agree with Matt on BioShock. There are alot of people saying it's overrated but I disagree. Cinematic and very visually enjoyable.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #378 on: June 6, 2009, 02:09 AM »
The only reason I quit Bioshock was because it actually made me somewhat sick while playing it.

For overrated, honestly, I really felt like GOW wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  I found COD4 miles superior.  I didn't like the cover-system of the game personally, and something similar was used in Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway which I really disliked.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #379 on: June 10, 2009, 06:06 PM »
I just got the RRoD on my XBox today. This is now the third time that I've had an XBox with the problem. So I won't be on Live for awhile...
"This is the way."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 10, 2009, 06:27 PM »
I guess that's a common problem with the Xbox then - I wonder why?  I don't really go onto gaming sites but I've heard this happening more than once in some of the other forums I visit.

I've been getting antsy to get into a nextgen console, but I'm still patiently waiting for Sony to drop their price.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 10, 2009, 06:39 PM »
I'm probably jinxing myself, but I've had a 360 for about 3 and a half years and haven't ever had a problem with it.

Lucky me?

Maybe the intercooler I bought really does help?

I'm sure it'll die tonight now that I've said something.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2009, 12:31 AM »
I just got the RRoD on my XBox today. This is now the third time that I've had an XBox with the problem. So I won't be on Live for awhile...

Have you had it sent back that many times Ryan, or did you just buy a new one or something?

I got it this past year.  I was pissed but the shipping process was painless, to my surprise.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #383 on: June 11, 2009, 12:43 AM »
For my first one that went RRoD I returned to Costco, got cash back (since they weren't carrying it anymore,) and upgraded to the Elite. That Elite got the RRoD and I then sent that one back. The next one they gave me had a issue with the graphics card so I had to send it in to be fixed (it was still under warranty.) And now there is this one with the RRoD.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #384 on: June 11, 2009, 02:32 AM »
Hmm...  No offense meant by this, but I just hope you have ****** luck bud. :)  I really hate to think I may be down the RRoD road again.  If I am, I hope they'll fix the damn thing again.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #385 on: June 11, 2009, 02:37 AM »
Hmm...  No offense meant by this, but I just hope you have ****** luck bud. :)  I really hate to think I may be down the RRoD road again.  If I am, I hope they'll fix the damn thing again.

None taken. 23 1/2 years into my life and I have this WELL figured out by now. :P

It is almost comical actually. Everything always seems to go at once. My car broke down yesterday too. And my Zune got all messed up too and I had to fix it yesterday as well.

Fingers crossed my computer holds up long enough for me to finish my last college paper and study for my last test tomorrow...
"This is the way."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Picked up Namco Museum Virtual Arcade for ten bucks at TRU last night.  It's a got a whole mess of old school Namco arcade games, but the real draw is the nine full XBL Arcade titles included.  It's got the XBLA versions of Dig Dug, Galaga, Galaga Legions, Mr. Driller Online, Ms. Pac-Man, New Rally X, Pac-Man, Pac-Man Championship Edition, and Xevious.  If you were to buy them separately from the marketplace, it's $60 worth of games.  (Pac-Man CE is well-worth the $10 alone, everything else is just gravy.)

Anyway, recommended if you're into classic arcade games at all.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 13, 2009, 11:07 AM »
I have that set from the first Xbox, very fun.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Picked up Namco Museum Virtual Arcade for ten bucks at TRU last night.  It's a got a whole mess of old school Namco arcade games, but the real draw is the nine full XBL Arcade titles included.  It's got the XBLA versions of Dig Dug, Galaga, Galaga Legions, Mr. Driller Online, Ms. Pac-Man, New Rally X, Pac-Man, Pac-Man Championship Edition, and Xevious.  If you were to buy them separately from the marketplace, it's $60 worth of games.  (Pac-Man CE is well-worth the $10 alone, everything else is just gravy.)

Anyway, recommended if you're into classic arcade games at all.

What are the achievements like? Are they per game or are they all grouped together under the Namco Museum Virtual Arcade title?
"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 14, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Anyone going to be picking up Ghostbusters this week?
I remember my dream now.