Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 116996 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Re: XBox 360
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 03:46 PM »
They announced their pricing today.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642633p1.html

399 for a console with all the goodies and 299 for just the box and a controller.

I called my local Gamestop to see if I could confirm I had the "good" one preordered, but they aren't ready to do that yet. Apparently they're being flooded with calls.

What do you guys think about the pricing?
Got Clones?

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2005, 04:24 PM »
The pricing seems "normal" for a new system. Did they say which one will be backwards compatible?
I remember my dream now.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2005, 05:21 PM »
I'm not at all excited about dropping $400 on a new system, but the $300 option not coming with a hard drive is insane. Honestly I think this may be the first time in memory that I won't be picking up a major system at it's launch.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2005, 05:37 PM »
It's actually an easy decision for me: Mace & Luke F/X or 360.  F/X it is.   ;D

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2005, 07:13 PM »
I'm not at all excited about dropping $400 on a new system, but the $300 option not coming with a hard drive is insane. Honestly I think this may be the first time in memory that I won't be picking up a major system at it's launch.

Personally, I'm puzzled why they're even doing the 300 dollar machine. I could see doing it when the PS3 launches (Sony has hinted at prices as high as 500) just to say "Hey look, we've got a cheaper one!".  I think most people will choose the 399 version.  What I'd like to see is a "Core" version with the hard drive.  If they had just put a hard drive in every box, charged 360 bucks for it....I don't think they'd have complaints.  And that 399 deal would be a steal.   ;D

Hell, I paid 500 for my Xbox when I got it, because Ebx made you buy 3 games with it, and I needed an extra controller.  I think my bill was about 520 to walk out with a box on launch night and I was fine with it.

On launch night this time around, I'm going to need at least one more controller and a few games.  Looks like it will be like 700 bucks.  OUCH.

Got Clones?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2005, 08:21 PM »
The stripped down version may be a very bad thing for the 360.  Now every game must be programmed with the assumption that no HD is present.  So you lose all of its advantages.  Either that, or the developer has to go through and write the game twice, and write a scheme to determine which version of xbox you have before chosing which program to run.  It's just a bad situation.  I don't think anyone would bat an eye at a $399 price tag.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2005, 08:44 PM »
You can now pre-order the PS3 for $299 on Amazon.com.  If this turns out to be the final price (I don't know, since I've heard anywhere from $399 to $599), and comes in $100 cheaper than the deluxe xbox360, microsoft could be in for a real butt-stomping.

PS3 pre-order
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2005, 03:12 PM »
I was kind of disappointed in the pricing options for the Xbox.  I was seriously thinking about buying one but now I don't know.  And seriously, consoles are almost always sold at a loss...it's just the way it is.  I don't think MS trying to actually make money on the system is the way to go. 

Selling the system with 1 controller and no hard drive for $300 is insane though.  The first thing you'll have to do is go lay out $100 for the HD and $50 for another controller.  And with games making a rumored jump from $49 to $59 the whole shebang is really gonna cost.

I may just go pick up a regular Xbox on the cheap, get the SW games I want (And Halo of course) and play that. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2005, 03:54 PM »
Wow.

I think the last video game system that I bought at (or near) the launch date was my Sega Genesis.   :P

I've managed to skip picking up everything, just picked up the occasional system:

Nintendo --> Super Nintento --> Sega Genesis --> Playstation --> GameCube

I was really tempted by both the PS2 and X-Box, but I settled on the NGC for Rogue Squadron and the Mario franchise (I am addicted to Mario Party games and pretty much all things Mario - Mario Golf, Super Smash bros, etc).

I was kind of disappointed in the pricing options for the Xbox. I was seriously thinking about buying one but now I don't know.

I feel the same too.  I was kinda considering it, but for $400 I don't have to worry about it anymore.  When it comes down to it, I'm a cheap bastard and $400 for the basic system plus extra for the 2nd controller is asking an awful lot.

Then, you figure in $60 per game, plus this new craze of designing "custom" controllers for specific games (like the Jedi Hunter stick) and it's getting a little out of control.   :-\

I may just go pick up a regular Xbox on the cheap, get the SW games I want (And Halo of course) and play that.

That's not a bad idea... the basic X-Box will drop again and as a Nintendo guy, there would be a TON of "new-to-me" games to grab at a low price $20-30 each). 

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I never buy a system at launch, so by the time I'm willing to buy one, the price will probably have gone down by $50 or so.

I'm not really that hardcore of a gamer. I usually spend more time on my NES or Genesis than my X-Box.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Wow.

I think the last video game system that I bought at (or near) the launch date was my Sega Genesis.   

I've managed to skip picking up everything, just picked up the occasional system:

Nintendo --> Super Nintento --> Sega Genesis --> Playstation --> GameCube

I was really tempted by both the PS2 and X-Box, but I settled on the NGC for Rogue Squadron and the Mario franchise (I am addicted to Mario Party games and pretty much all things Mario - Mario Golf, Super Smash bros, etc).

I've gone much the same route in my video game purchases.  I've gotten almost all my systems (Nintendo, Playstation, Gamecube) well after they were released, and when they were around $50 cheaper than launch price.  I've really enjoyed all of the, but recently I've been starting to consider picking up a PS2 since Gamecube seems to beginning to limit some of my favorite games (missed out on the latest Star Wars games, no College Football game).  At this point, I figure I should just wait for the new systems (or a price drop in the older ones once the new ones come out), but I definitely can't (and don't want to) pay $400 for a system.  I just don't play video games quite enough to justify that, not like in HS/college years.  I'm still debating what to do for sure, or whether I need anything else at all.  It all looks quite cool, but it gets awfully pricey anymore.  Heck, I still have the old NES hooked up in our basement for some rounds of Tecmo Super Bowl now and then ;).

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2005, 02:23 PM »
I'm all about early adoption when it comes to consoles. I imagine myself being that guy with a high "Gamer Score" or whatever they're calling it within the first week the 360 comes out.

As far as the PS3, if they really do sell it for 299, I imagine that would push the Xbox 360 (not the core) down to that same level.    Will I feel bad at that point for not having waited?

Nah. You can currently buy an Xbox for 150 bucks less than I paid for mine and it doesn't bug me. It's just like anything electronic. What I paid 600 for last year is going for 300 this year. I guess that's technology for you.

I don't know why I don't get pissed about that. I DO get pissed whenever I hear about people buying Star Wars figures for half what I paid.
Got Clones?

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2005, 04:14 PM »
It's getting down to the last 10 hours before launch and I for one am getting excited.  I did not have the foresight to pre-order  ??? so here is my plan.

1) Walmart at 10:00 PM tonight.  My Walmart Supercenter is getting a grand total of like 16.  If more than eight people are in line back home to bed.

2) Target at 5:30 AM tomorrow.  My Target is getting a grand total of 16 as well.

3) Costco at 7:00 AM.  I am an executive member and my Costco is opening at 9:00 AM tomorrow.

4) I ordered a system of Samsclub.com with an estimated ship date of 12/15/05 as my back up plan.

COD2 and NBA2K6 are mine!

Who here is in?  If so, what is your plan and what games are you looking forward to?

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2005, 04:32 PM »
I'll be passing on the 360. Nice graphics (played it at a local Wally) but I really dislike the fact that IF I had previous XBox games I would have to pay extra to play them on the 360. I'm a Playstation guy so I will wait for that next year. Also a Nintendo guy for the kids so those will be my focus as they have been in the past. I hope everyone who wants one can get one and that no scalpers get them.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

SilverZ

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2005, 04:56 PM »
Try Costco and TRU as backups, as they usually have plenty of stock on hand when they open at 10am... long after the uber-fanboys have gone home with their units from the early-opening stores.