Author Topic: Beginning a Darth Vader focus  (Read 22124 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage vs Modern
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 01:03 AM »
One important factor I will add when asking questions on some forums is outing an auction when asking, these happen from time to time and are frown on by some members. Nothing like finding an item you want to aquire that might be hidden and poof, out in the open that others are watching. Seen it many times.  :-\

Ask your questions and you will get answers from very knowledgeable members, at times send them an e-mail or PM. 

Be careful as there are reseals and fraud artists out there, learn what to watch for.

Other than that I think you are in great hands Jesse, lots of helpful information coming in thus far.  :)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 01:27 AM »
One important factor I will add when asking questions on some forums is outing an auction when asking, these happen from time to time and are frown on by some members. Nothing like finding an item you want to aquire that might be hidden and poof, out in the open that others are watching. Seen it many times.  :-\

I've seen that too and figured it would be a definite no-no.  I can see how that would be very frustrating.

Be careful as there are reseals and fraud artists out there, learn what to watch for.

That's the stuff that scares me.  But I don't plan on doing any bidding/buying for a while until I've educated myself a little more.  Nothing would suck more than to win my first vintage auction only to get it home and realize it wasn't what I was expecting.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 10:05 AM »

That's the stuff that scares me.  But I don't plan on doing any bidding/buying for a while until I've educated myself a little more.  Nothing would suck more than to win my first vintage auction only to get it home and realize it wasn't what I was expecting.

Yeah, that scares me too, and I hate to be prejudice, but it seems a lot come out of the UK, so I tend to not even look at those auctions on ebay.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 10:23 AM »
Good luck in this new collecting focus Jesse, it should be a lot of fun.  I've still got most of my vintage figures from my childhood, but they are obviously in "played with" condition.  Because of that, I've been slowly working towards getting an entire loose, complete collection of figures as well, and also replacing some of my old figures (but still keeping the old ones).  Its fun, and there's something about collecting the vintage stuff that appeals to me too.  I'm not near the expert that Dale, Brent, and others are around these parts, and I haven't been able to pick up as much as I'd like this year with all the modern stuff.  I couldn't abandon the modern stuff, especially OT pieces, but there are times when I'd like to focus things in more so there wasn't so much to watch/collect/buy.  Between vintage, modern, Unleashed, Kubricks, GH, posters, Sideshow, Gentle Giant, misc, etc....there is just too much stuff to spend money on :).

Something you mentioned is a big reason why I like vintage collecting too....no time crunch.  You can just sit back and pretty much buy at your leisure, especially for more common stuff.  There isn't as much of a fear of "if I don't buy it when I see it, it will be 3x higher online"...again, unless you go for rarer items maybe, I don't have much knowledge of that type of stuff.  Something else that I kind of like about the vintage figure line is that it has "an end"...something to work towards.  You know there is a set number of figures, and you can work towards that number....whether it is for a particular movie, line, or the whole run.  With modern you are always playing catch up.  Don't get me wrong, I like the modern stuff a lot and it is my primary collecting focus right now (and has been for years)...and I do like getting new stuff all the time to look forward to/pick up, but it does get overwhelming sometimes.  I've noticed that even more this year with such a big product year along with ROTS.

Offline jr87mustang

• Jedi Initiate
  • Have you seen this Kubrick???
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 12:24 AM »
I have actually gone the other way latetly.  I have collected vintage since i was 5, and never cared for much of the new stuff.  You guys over in the Kubricks thread and Unleashed have sucked me in.  I bought a few of the ROTS figs and all the exclusives, and as the hang on my wall next to my wintage I ask myself ...why? Aside from Kubricks and Unleashed, VIntage is soooooo much better. It has been said already but there is no rush involved, and almost no gas money. It's almost like waiting on a fine wine....aka Ebay. You watch for what you want, if it doesn't fit your standards....just wait, it WILL be back.

You have to pick a focus. This is soemthing I never did, and regret it.  I like my collection, but it is just scattered everywhere. I have loose figs, loose ships, loose playsets, boxed this and that, sealed and opened, and it just doesn't fit.  Now I am selling some of my stuff to try and get a rutt going.

Be vary wary of UK. I have gotten so many fake weapons from there I could puke. I have also heard just like the guys above of reseals sold as "vintage".

Also one other thing, and I don't know if anyone else here has noticed, but in the last few years it seems like SEALED stuff has been drying up. Alot of big money collectors are bying this stuff and putting it a vault or something.  It is getting expensive and hard to find. AFA isn't helping either. So if you wanting to get into that it would be good to do that first. Just my opinion on that one.

Hope we all help and good luck.
Anyone got a ben for sale??

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning a Darth Vader focus
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 12:00 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on eBay for a Canadian carded Vader to officially start my focus, but I've only seen in one the last couple months.  I guess it's going to be a long trek.  ;)

To start, I'd simply like to get Vader on a cardback from each movie, but want to eventually get every variation.  Then down the road I'll work on on US and foreign as well. Basically, if it's Darth Vader, I want it.  Of course, this quest won't be cheap, but there will be a significant time between each figure I find so I shouldn't have to give up too many other SW pursuits (although I've basically stopped buying modern Hasbro figures, except Vader ones, of course).

So I've compiled a list of known variants on Canadian cards and US cards, but need a lot of help with the foreign ones.  Any help is appreciated, especially pictures or websites!

Canadian - Canadian SW Gallery, Womprat.com, Snowtroopers Vintage board

• CSW12A - DT lightsaber instructions on back
• CSW12B - regular lightsaber instructions on back
• CSW12C - GDE; solid silver "racetrack" through Kenner logo on back
• CSW12D - GDE; broken silver "racetrack" through Kenner logo on back
• CSW20B - production (not prototype) versions of playsets on back
• CESB21A - 21 figs
• CESB32B - Yoda pic has rounded bottom right corner (not top left)
• CESB41B - offerless; DV case, Falcon, etc. on back
• CESB41C - offerless; Hoth toys on back
• CESB47A? - 47 figs
• Transition? - ROTJ logo sticker over ESB logo on front
• CROTJ65A? - Nien Nunb offer
• CROTJ77A - 77 figs

American - SW Collector's Archive, Kellerman Matrices (and his book too!)

Double Telescoping Saber & Original Picture
• 1SW-12A

Regular Saber & Original Picture (Waist Up, Saber)
• 1SW-12A
• 1SW-12B
• 1SW-12C
• 3SW-20E
• 1SW-21A
• 2SW-21B
• 4SW-21C
• 1ESB-21G
• 3ESB-31B
• 3ESB-32B
• 5ESB-41A
• 6ESB-45A
• 6ESB-45B
• 7ESB-47A
• 8ESB-48B
• 9ESB-48C
• 1ROTJ-48D
• 2ROTJ-65A
• 2ROTJ-65B
• 3ROTJ-65C
• 1POTF-92A

Regular Saber & New Picture (Close Up, Pointing)
• 2ROTJ-65B
• 3ROTJ-65C
• 4ROTJ-65D
• 2ROTJ-77A
• 4ROTJ-77B
• 2ROTJ-79A
• 4ROTJ-79B

Foreign - Darth Vader Toy Museum
(very incomplete list)

Argentina (Top Toys)
• ROTJ (El Regreso del Jedi)

Australia (Toltoys)
• SW12
• SW20

Brazil (Glasslite - O Poder da Forcia)
• POTF

France (Meccano - La Guerre des Etoiles)
• SW12

Germany (GMI - Krieg der Sterne)
•

Italy (Harbert - Guerre Stellari)
• SW12

Japan
• SW12 (Takara) - w/ Kenner headsculpt
• SW12 (Takara) - w/ Takara headsculpt
• ESB (Popy)
• ROTJ (Takara)

Mexico
• ROTJ14 (Lily Ledy - La Guerra de las Galaxias / La Retorno del Jedi)
• ROTJ30 (Lily Ledy - La Guerra de las Galaxias / La Retorno del Jedi)
• ROTJ (Janin - El Regreso del Jedi)

Netherlands (Clipper)
•

Spain (PBP)
• ESB41 (Star Wars / El Imperio Contraataca)
• ESB48 (Star Wars / El Imperio Contraataca)
• ROTJ65 (Star Wars / La Retorno del Jedi)

Tri-Logo (European - 1983+)
• ROTJ79

UK (Palitoy) - Palitoy SW Cardback Guide
• SW12A
• SW12B
• ESB41B
• ESB45A
• ESB45B
• ESB45C
• ROTJ65D

Bootlegs

Argentina (Plasticos Pedros Luca) - Archive Feature
• 6 versions

Brazil (Model Trem / Aventura na Galαxia) Archive Feature
• Darth Vader

Hungary (Csillagok Haboruja) - Archive Feature
• Jedi Visszater

Turkey (Uzay) - Archive Feature
• Darth Vader (Kara Lider)

- edit #1 - added Model Trem bootleg
- edit #2 - added Glasslite
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 03:05 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 01:55 AM »
No Model Trem boot?    :P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 02:38 AM »
No Model Trem boot?    :P

Oooh.  Sweet.  Better add him to the list.  ;)

I need to add the Galaxy Empire and Galaxy Cop bootlegs too...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 02:41 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 02:54 AM »
Glasslite Power of the Force Darth Vader

Another to add!  Thanks Dale!

I need to add the Galaxy Empire and Galaxy Cop bootlegs too...

Never mind, I guess those would actually be modern bootlegs (I still want them, but they don't belong on a vintage list).

Offline John J. Alvarez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Let's not forget Polish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen carded. None are in my article because none have turned up yet. Expect that to go for well over $1,000 if any of them come up. ;^)

If you are including loose there are Polish unarticulated and many Mexican pieces.

John

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Let's not forget Polish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen carded. None are in my article because none have turned up yet. Expect that to go for well over $1,000 if any of them come up. ;^)

And I have a feeling you'd be first in line for them, right?  ;)

Thanks for chiming in John.  Anything you can add on the foreign released Vaders, or is your focus primarily bootlegs?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 05:24 PM »
I think John's main focus is trying to get down the bunny hill in one piece.  ;D  :-X

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Damn I wish I'd come on the Banff trip.  Although I haven't been skiing in at least 13 years (high school), so I might not have done much better.  ;)

Offline John J. Alvarez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 11:17 AM »

And I have a feeling you'd be first in line for them, right?  ;)

Hardly. If a carded Vader came up I know me, JoeY, an under-the-radar UK bootleg collector, Kim Zoll, Jay Butler, and Bill McBride would *all* have interest. I have a feeling it would come down to Bill, Joe, Jay, and the UK guy battling. It would get UGLY.

Thanks for chiming in John.  Anything you can add on the foreign released Vaders,

I think you've done a pretty good job thus far. None come to mind but you might try emailing Bill McBride or Jack Gossett.

Actually... though it isn't a 3 3/4" you may want to keep your eye peeled for a Takara 8" carded Vader:
http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=39732
It's not an easy piece to find and will probably cost you $600-800 to land but it's a KILLER piece.

or is your focus primarily bootlegs?

It's been primarily bootlegs and prototypes for at least 2-3 years now. It doesn't stop me from keeping abreast of other parts of the hobby, though, just from buying other parts. ;)

Anytime you want to make that bootleg leap drop me a line. I'm sure I can find you a Vader or two. :)

John