Author Topic: Muppets  (Read 58581 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Muppets
« on: April 21, 2003, 02:56 PM »
Man oh man I saw the Swedish Chef/Kitchen set this morning at Suncoast and I can't tell you how tempted i was to buy it.  Being almost 1/2 Swedish the guy is sort of an icon to me.  Unfortunately I don't really have room to display it (it is freaking huge) nor do I have the willpower to collect another toy line and my wife would have blown a gasket I think.

Still, this has to be one of the nicest toys ever.  There are 42 accesories and it retails for $35.  It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen but had to pass on.

I know BDW collects these, anyone else?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Muppets
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 03:04 PM »
Ha Ha. Thats cute. The Swedish Chef is one of my favorite characters. I don't collect these but I maybe tempted. Nice detail.  
Nice to see someone else has a Swedish background.  :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Ya' know, the Muppets line is the ONLY other figure line besides Star Wars that I've ever considered collecting.  I love those figures!  The detail, the playsets, and the wide variety of character choices is absolutely amazing.  Not to mention that I'm pretty nostalgic about the show itself, having grown up on it as a kid.  I really wish I had the funds and extra space to collect this line, but I just don't unfortunately.

But yeah, those playsets are AWESOME!  Animal's drum set, Beaker's lab, the Chef's kitchen...   8)  The Swedish Chef was always my favorite character as a kid.  I used to impersonate him all the time too (still do)!  Ah, good times...   :)

Offline BidderFett

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2003, 11:46 PM »
I love these sets. The only reason I don't have them is because there's so much star wars I can't afford!

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2003, 12:54 PM »
I loooooooove the Muppets. My kitchen finally shipped a few days ago, I cant wait to get it! This is the only line aside from Star Wars that Im dedicated to (although I did get the first series stuff of TMNT). If you hate exclusives and variants, this is definately the wrong line for you. Although, you can get almost all of the exclusives through the Collectors Club, and variants aren't hard to come by. So far Ive managed to collect a complete set for the exception of the Ken Lilly Wedding "Kermit and Miss Piggy Wedding" two pack, which was given away as a gift at his wedding. Ive managed to get all three industry giveaways, and the rest has been pretty easy thanks to the Collector's Club.

This line, in terms of detail, authenticity, play value, playsets and overall value, is definately the best line of toys out right now. They aren't cheap, but you get incredibly meticulous detail, lots of nice accessories, and very nice likenesses. The Swedish Kitchen is easily the best playset ever made, and its a bargain at only $35-$40.

I highly recomend getting into this line, and if anyone needs help, Id be glad to show you what you need to catch up on, provide you with lists, etc.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2003, 09:27 AM »
Just saw that the Henson family bought back the Muppets franchise for $78 after they sold it for $680 million...wow what a return and what a horrible buy

Henson Family Buys Back Muppets

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2003, 10:25 AM »
Ya' know, the Muppets line is the ONLY other figure line besides Star Wars that I've ever considered collecting.

You lucky S.O.B. I am such an impulse collector, it's sad.

I have the entire line of figures from SeaQuest. Same with Warriors of Virtue. I never watched SeaQuest but bought the figures because they were cheap and in scale with my Star Trek figures. I saw Warriors of Virtue ONCE with my son. I liked the way the figures looked better than the movie and scarfed them all up on clearance. Why? I DON'T KNOW!

Now I'm into monkets. I'm trying to control my spending, which has gotten easier thanks to the drought of Star Wars toys and my complete lack of interest in AA's Trek line. Muppets figures are too big for my space, and Simpsons are just too hard to collect (Thank you, Playmates).

I'm really trying to focus on Star Wars, but those @$$#•!3$ at DC Direct are finally offering me the Silver Age characters I've craved since childhood. I'm running out at noon today to pick up my SuperFriends Green Lantern & Sinestro 2-pack. B@$†@®¶$!

Anyway, I'm glad to read the Muppets are home where they belong. Good for them and good for the Henson Family. I look forward to great things from this franchise.
Post sober.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2003, 10:30 AM »
I don't collect these figs but love the Muppets.  I will however buy a Sweetums figure if he's ever released.  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2003, 09:51 PM »
Definately good news that the Muppets are back in the hands of the Hensons! Now, if they could just get rid of Disney.... ;)

Got my Swedish Kitchen set, and let me tell you, this is by and far the coolest toy I have ever owned! Pictures dont do it justice, seeing it in the packaging doesnt either. You need to get this thing out and play around with it and check out all the cool stuff with it. The detail is unsurpassed! Palisades has definately set the bar very high this time...

Even if you dont collect the Muppet toys, I have to say that this is a must have for any fan! Even if its just the only piece you have, it looks fantastic anywhere, almost like a miniature replica. Of course, I'll warn you now... Pick up this, and you'll probably get addicted! :)

Well, time to go watch some more Time Life Muppet Show DVDs! :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 7, 2003, 10:02 PM »
I assume you guys have seen the picture of the next upcoming Muppets playset...  The Pigs in Space spaceship cockpit/crew deck area - or whatever you'd like to call it.  I believe it's in this month's AFD or AFN magazine.  Check it out if you haven't.  Not the Chef's Kitchen, but still pretty dang cool!

Have I mentioned that I'd really like to collect this line...  ARGHHHH!!!  >:(    NO, NO, NO!!! I can not succumb to the "over-collecting" Dark Side like Morgbug, OCB, and friends!   :P

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 7, 2003, 10:20 PM »
Matt, can you PLEASE get Adam to stop gushing about that &$*#% playset?! My wallet really doesn't need the stress right now.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 7, 2003, 10:31 PM »
Matt, can you PLEASE get Adam to stop gushing about that &$*#% playset?! My wallet really doesn't need the stress right now.

Sorry, no can do John!  It's a pretty damned cool set, so maybe it's best if you not be a tightwad and go fork out the 40 bucks and pick yourself up one!  Of course who am I to talk, my tightwad butt won't let go of the collecting pursestrings for anything except Star Wars...  But if I did, this would be the first thing that I'd buy, that's for sure!   ;)

Go pick it up John!  You know you want to.  Just don't feed the kids for a few days or something...   :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 7, 2003, 10:50 PM »
The Swede in me wants a hero...this playset provides it.  The thing is so Huge though I have nowhere to put it, plus I'd need Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Scooter etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...I've been down this road before...Oooh, Just Homer, Bart, Lisa, Marge and Maggie

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 8, 2003, 07:10 AM »
Go pick it up John!  You know you want to.  Just don't feed the kids for a few days or something...   :P

The REALLY ironic part about this is that my daughter's birthday was Tuesday and her favorite toy is a Little Tikes Kitchen. The Swedish Chef's would have been cheaper AND taken up less space. 'Course it might not be appropriate for a two-year-old, but I'm sure she'd have fun watching Dad play with it.
Post sober.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 8, 2003, 05:02 PM »

Yoooouuuu waaaant the plaaaaayseeeett..... Must buy the playset...... lol ;)