Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 361685 times)

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2004, 06:06 PM »
I've now gotten two Bradley's, and LAV, two Fountains, and that's about it...  Just recently though, and all great stuff for real cheap.

The Bradley's I had help with from a friend at GP's site...

Now to get some playset extras...  :)

So is the fountain anything great, or the german figure? My TRU has a bin filled with them.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2004, 01:31 AM »
For $10 it's neat.  If you've got figures for around it, it's really quite a nice display piece.  The pack-in is ok.  He has a removable helmet...  Can't argue with that.  They did a U.S. and German Infantry with removable helmet, but they rarely packed the U.S. in.

Most U.S. pack-ins were actually U.S. officers with glued on helmets. 

They're a good set, but I waited for $10 before buying ANY.  $5 for a big fountain and $5 for a figure.  That's better than retail when you break it down.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2004, 11:52 PM »
I picked up.....

1 BBI Chopper pilot (green blackhawk pilot)
1 of each of the new accessory sets.

The new weapons packs are cool, and have tons of heavy weapons.  LAW rockets are what I think the one thing is at least, and there's a LAW thing that's on a 2-handled control/sight thing.  I saw it on the history channel once (I think on Q&A) and it is a computer sighted LAW rocket?

Cool stuff, and customizeable for Star Wars if you're creative (wink wink!).

Lots of rocket launchers, a 3-piece morta that's neat, some extras of the pistols an M-16 with grenade launcher, the SWAT figure's sniper rifle (not sure of its make), etc.

They're pretty great sets, so keep your eyes open...  I wish they'd do some weapons from other countries though.  ::)  RPG's, AK's, Dragunov's, and such.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 1, 2004, 04:33 PM »
« Last Edit: October 1, 2004, 04:33 PM by Darth Ghidorah »
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: October 2, 2004, 05:31 PM »
I don't know...  It' sprobably the 1:6 Radio Controlled Stuart which never showed up in my area, but it's a big honking RC tank.  Supposedly LOTS of fun.

That's my only guess on it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #155 on: October 4, 2004, 02:11 AM »
Bad news for the scale military toy world...

GP's site:

http://www.gpxd.com/Index.htm

is gonna be no more after a little while...  There's some brainstorming going on at his forum on a fix for this, and honestly this could be a HUGE chance for a cohesive group of guys to get together and make a ROUTINELY updated news site ala our very own JediDefender that brings you the best news first from companies like BBI, 21st, Power Team Elite, or even G.I. Joe and other brands...

Unfortunately, I dunno that such an enterprise will work...  I don't know how to make sites, or i'd single-handedl have thrown it together right now as a way of having an immediate change of power.

The guys at GP's are dedicated, even if I can't say I agree with them or their opinions all the time, and it's a shame GP's is gonna close shop.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2004, 10:08 PM »
With GP's closing, a member there by the name of "P-51", came up with a new forum, and I'd say a much superior one at that.

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/

This is the new forum replacing GP's old one though when he finally closes up shop in the coming month(s) or whatever.

And on a bright note for me:

1) BBI's released photos of their first foray into WW2 1:18.  They put up shots of a 1:18 Sherman tank they've been working on...

Now, the question is whether or not they'll have figures accompanying the vehicles.  Pack-ins or even carded.  I'm really anxious to see them possibly stepping into the WW2 market that 21st Century is too lazy to get off their asses and fill with product.

BBI's not perfect, but they at least get product to the shelf, and that's 100% more than 21st does.

2) I've found "new" BBI figures recently.  The guys with berets previewed at Toy Fair (and who've been out around the country for months and months now) just now showed up at Toys R Us stores in my neck of the woods. 

I also was able to get some of the blackhawk pilot/crew figures.  There's a white guy in green and a black guy in tan available.  The black guy's packed in with the new "spec. Forces" guys with the berets...  The white guy is packed in with Navy Seal repacks.

The guys with berets all have new weapons, nicer cammo paintjobs (IMO), and their limbs are MUCH sturdier unlike the first Marines that their bodies are copies of.  Their limbs stay together, but those USMC figures fell apart with every far cross-wise.

The Spec. Forces guys are direct copies of the Marines though, and don't sport any new headsculpts, so just beware that you're buying basically the same grunts with new guns.  I got the sniper (in tan) and a "Support gunner" with a weapon I personally can't identify and a stinger missle.

They're cool, they're superior to the Marines, so I may even buy more at some point, but till BBI fixes their figure construction overall, they're not as cool as I'd like.

It's nice to have something new to buy though, and they're "nice enough" to me.

Unfortunately I turned up no new Star Wars figures.  There's nothing here and it's starting to piss me off that something I want to buy is just nowhere to be found at this point.  Retail and Hasbro are both ******** in my book...  Hasbro for their horrible case assortments and the fact they are the ones that make e-tail a "hit or miss" thing, and then Retailers for pressuring Hasbro on ****** case assortments and for not restocking when their brain-dead purchasers don't know squat about their product they're buying, overorder, and then treat the line like it's contageous then.

May you all burn in hell...

Yeah that's a little strong, but I just wasted a lotta gas for a lotta nothing.  Buncha dorks.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2004, 03:11 PM »
And BBI comes outta left field again with their often rumored P-51 Mustang...  Yes, they have their own version, and have debuted it, and it's a doozey.  Judging by the pic, it's everything 21st's have been and then some.

On their Sherman, people have noted it's a different type as the barrel is bigger.  It's a larger gunned Sherman, so that's enticing people who already own the 21st Sherman to pick this one up that has more firepower as well.  :)  Make a neat little column then I guess.

I'll get one if it's as good or better than 21st's winter BotB Sherman.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2004, 10:04 PM »
!

I do think I've just died...not only do the BBi figures from WW2 look amazing, it appears we'll be treated to a Futuristic line aswell. I hope these Star Wars hybreds are just mock ups, because they're just to dang obvious. Although, if they end up like this, I'd be happy for the diorama filler.
Plus, that new tank kicks ass!

All in all: GREAT JOB BBi

!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2004, 02:12 AM »
Not just BBI, but 21st...  They've got a bit coming out including a Stug.  NEW ARMOR!  YES!

:)

And those Marines and "Army Builder" sets just kick ass.

Here's the 21st page of images from Figures.com:

http://69.93.119.2/photo/1/showgallery.php?cat=1823&page=1&sort=1&perpage=15&=

Here's BBI's, which if you ask me BBI had the best showing.  I love 21st, but it's gonna take a while to see that Stug, the truck, the Marines, or anything...  BBI actually releases stuff, ya know?  So here we go!:

http://69.93.119.2/photo/1/showgallery.php?cat=1817

Both companies coming out swinging, but BBI just threw a 1-2 Punch that 21st's lost some teeth on.  They need to get their **** together to get back in the game on any competitive level.  I LOVE their figures, but they gotta RELEASE figures for me to support them...  Armor's a step forward, but I can only buy planes so much before I'm sick of it.

I need tanks, jeeps, trucks, Kubel's, artillery, and most of all I need figures... 

BBI's figures look great, but I'm not sure on those sci-fi kitbashes with SW figures.  They're weird, and I'm hoping they're just rough prototypes (real rough) and not figures or an off-shoot line they're trying out.  I dunno.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2004, 12:41 AM »
And this news goes further in that BBI's "SW" cobbled together figures are a push of a futuristic military toy line (confirmed via Figures.com).  Dunno what the final product would look like, but it could be a neat complement to people's Cantina dioramas, or Mos Eisly/Espa streets or something.

Good filler figures.

And the other news is 21st's got a possible 1:18 medeival line coming (COOOL), and possible lines for films like Platoon, Bridge Too Far, and an upcoming film they definitely have likeness rights to called "Sahara".

Sculpts of Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, and the dude that played Green Goblin (Name escapes me) were seen as well, so it's a certainty they have the rights to Platoon...  Bridge too Far just had Airborne figures strewn about as a display.

Nonetheless, customizers rejoice at the notion of making a scarred Tom Berenger Imperial Officer or Rebel Fleet Trooper (Sergeant!). 

I'm giddy folks!  This is good stuff on ALL levels here.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2004, 07:22 PM »
Here's a question; perhaps one of you gentlemen may be of help?
 I got the 1/18 FW D9, but it’s missing the screws to affix the wings, can anyone tell me the size and type? Most probably all the planes use the same screws but I can’t be sure.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2004, 02:55 AM »
Honestly, if I'd ever even SEEN a FW I'd be able to help you Bob, but that plane NEVER saw the light of day in Pittsburgh.  At least not so far anyway.

Hell, I just got a D-Day Spitfire from SMB because they put them on sale ($35 guys, that's a damn good price).  Another plane I was die-hard wanting (even as a non-plane guy) and another one that didn't show up here.

I'd say it's likely the screws are all the same size, so if there's others on the plane you may do well to unscrew one and get a couple copies of it.

Contacting 21st MIGHT yield good luck too.  They're surprisingly good with the public.  Could try anyway.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2004, 03:41 AM »
Thanks, I'll try contacting them about it.
That line is pretty scarce around these parts as well, and extremely expensive- the price of a tank at Toys R Us is over $90 cnd. (with tax)…cheaper to buy online even after the shipping cost.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Hey Jesse what kinda stuff you got up there? We got nothing but Langley's, Flying Tigers, both versions of FW-190's, a bunch of winter Tigers and Bradleys.

If you need any of that stuff maybe I could have my brother help me work out a trade?
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.