Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 364475 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 14, 2006, 03:16 AM »
Posting at the same time on those Ryan. :)  Good stuff though no doubt.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #316 on: September 14, 2006, 03:21 AM »
Sorry for stealing your thunder there Jesse. ;)

It's time like these I wish I ahd the money to dive into this line some more. I'd absolutely LOVE to make a whole D-Day diorama set for these.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 14, 2006, 01:42 PM »
1:144th scale planes are out!

Those stands that come with the 3" Titanium ships seem to work well with the Axis fighters of this series, but not so much the American planes.

This line has great detail for the scale, but I especially love the price, 3 bucks and change, compare that to those Franklin Mint jobs going at $15 each.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 15, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Did someone say Germans?

First up is a D-Day German in a Camo smock, which is friggin' great looking, and we NEED a German in this common garb for our hedgerow ass whipping scenes.

I would love to see the photographic evidence these guys are using to justify this guy.  I like German Camo as much as the next guy and the smock is truly iconic for Waffen SS and some limited Heer units, but I have only seen maybe 5 pictures of guys wearing Oak pattern Camo pants (Dots obviously, but not Oak to match the smock).  That would have been a field made item that would have required the sacrifice of a Zeltbahn (shelter quarter).  This guy loses army builder status because of that.  He is best to be an NCO or "Alte Hasse".  Maybe a Sniper.  To make this guy an army builder he needs mouse gray or reed green pants.

The Parade trooper may be in his "Garrison" uniform, but I am pretty sure they didn't "Parade" with an open collar, even on an M-42/43 tunic.  Maybe he is Parade because he still has his Jackboots after 1943.

It is good to see them do more Germans though and I agree with Jesse, there needs to be packs of Accessories with MP-40's, MG's and the appropriate pouches and tools for each. 

I guess I will steal the Side Caps from my BOB Panzer guys so that one of the Smock guys can have a **** cap.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:14 PM by Paul »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #319 on: September 15, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Yeah I think I'd have preferred the smocked German to have regular German Grey-green pants on over the all-camo look...  I can't think of seeing many all dolled up like that, but it's a good start...

What I'm personally thinking is swapping torsoes with legs on some figures.  Maybe some of my BOTB Germans even and just have some of my BOTB's running into battle with camo pants on and their jackets covering it up.

I've seen the smocks in various footage/shots but not everything combined like that.

Too bad no sniper rifle...  :(  It is ideal for that role actually Paul.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2006, 08:00 PM »
There seems to be a slowdown of sorts in my area, I haven't seen any new 21st century product of any type for awhile (3 weeks on going) now. That's like a big gap for us!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Around here I'd be lucky to see anything new that close together. It seems we see new stuff once every two or three months.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 16, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Yuck, I hope that doesn't happen here :(

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 16, 2006, 08:53 PM »
I don't especially like the camo smock on the German guy, I would have much preffered a gray green uniform.

I'll still buy those two American D-Day troops, along with the Parade Dress German...that is, if they show up at the Robinson WalMart, which they probably won't...I'll have to go up to Beaver probably.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 29, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Thanks to Darth Slothus I have procured one 1:18th scale 21st Century Toys MIG 15, and I have to say this is one sweet aircraft. I'm not an expert but I'm familiar enough to appreciate the details like the removable gun pod, the aft air brakes and the "spin recovery" line painted on the console.

One small gripe is that the gun pod has to be in position to stabilize the nose gear, making it impossible to display them seperately.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #325 on: October 3, 2006, 12:53 AM »

MMMMmmmmm More figures....

:)

82nd Airborne Officer...  There is going to be one figure update every day this week, so this is the first for Monday.  Tomorrow is a German I hear and we've yet to see the DAK Germans so that's at least something we know is coming.

Says the new figs are due out in the fall of this year.  I'll be amazed if we see them that fast but wow I'd love to buy up a lot of these.  Even if this is an officer, it can be modded to be a fantastic 82nd Trooper for filling out dioramas.  The pack is great, and helps keep the figure fairly generic for armying up.

The headsculpts on these new figures are without a doubt the best ever from 21st as well.  Kudos to them.

The final paintjob on this isn't done btw, so I'm assuming that's why the stripes are on but he's being touted as an officer.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 3, 2006, 01:18 PM »
The new one is up....

A German Infantry Officer with U-boat Leather Jacket.

Looks like a good base figure though. 

Jack boots are not incorrect for  the period on an officer. 

I've never seen a Heer Infantry Soldier wearing U-Boat leathers.  Mostly see those on Waffen SS units and Panzer units or units that were based in Italy.

I like the headsculpt and the White-walls haircut, plus the removable Peak Cap.

It is an exciting week.  It look like 21st may have gone to the Ball-Socket head.  Anybody else get that impression?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #327 on: October 4, 2006, 02:05 AM »
I'm loving this one too....  I'm not picky on the footwear if it sometimes is inaccurate.  This figure looks like it too would make a spiffy base Infantryman as well as a good officer figure.  I can't wait to mix him in some of my BotB uni's and stuff, to get a mix of Officer types and stuff.

The jacket I'm not sure of their thought process but it adds diversity plus it would look fine for Italian based troops or whatnot. 

Some extra gear would've been nice though.  A rifle, an MP 44 perhaps...  Definitely a Luger would've been something.  He seems shorthanded in that regard.  As it is though he seems like a really decent figure to me. 

Now I just hope we see a little diversity on these ETO figures.  I mean just mixing it up a little like BBI's last guys, or the S1 were.  Different heads and gear on these bodies (with diff ranks) would be nice for us looking to rack up armies.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #328 on: October 4, 2006, 03:05 AM »
Thought I'd share too an image of BBI's WW2 guys.  Good figures but they never showed in Pittsburgh.  The only BBI WW2 we got were the Para and Infantry that came with the new modern guys.

I'd love some of these but at the moment $$$ is tight so they gotta wait.  They're great infantry filler though, and priced just right at $5 a figure at TRU if you can find them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #329 on: October 5, 2006, 02:50 AM »
Another update, another figure, another German...

And another coat.  Paul, what kind of coat is this?  Another leather jacket from the Italian theater or the Kriegsmarine?

Still in the jackboots but I'm ok with that...  Cool figure, pretty perfect army builder too...  The headsculpt is great and the rifle hand is REALLY needed on more figures in the line.

I love the maxed out articulation though.  Fantastic...  Camo helmet too.  Only additions I'd make would be a plain helmet w/out markings perhaps.

Good stuff though and regardless of why, I like the jackets.  They're a nice extra at least.  It'd be cool if Hasbro incorporated similar stuff into the SW line...  Hell it'd be cool if they made the skirt pieces out of the jacket material 21st uses because it's REAL pliable.  very good for sitting/posing the figure.