Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 361713 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)
« Reply #645 on: August 7, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I just saw a tank, a helo and several versions of the Humvee at my Big Lots.  They also had a few flavors of the 12" sets.  My local store didn't stock a lot of that stuff last year but they have a good bit this time around.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #646 on: August 7, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Yeah, they seem to vary their stock every year.

I'd like to have seen a lot of items, but my store didn't have the things I was hoping for (the new desert bombed out building, the Abrams tank, the old 3-packs with hedgehogs and other large gear). 

The Chinese tank is cool though and would make a great enemy vehicle.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 1, 2010, 09:57 PM »
I guess this is old news, but I just heard about it.  SK Omega is a 3 3/4 military line created in part by some of the original GI Joe designers.  Anybody know if/when this stuff is going to be released.  Some of it looks really cool.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #648 on: September 1, 2010, 10:35 PM »
I got the impression this stuff wasn't a definite, and was more looking for backing...  I could be wrong though Sprry.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #649 on: October 13, 2010, 02:29 AM »
Good news for Power Team Elite fanatics...

First, lemme say their stuff translates well to Star Wars, super hero stuff, and of course G.I. Joe...  The figures are so-so, but really they're probably the best "cheapie" figures on the market ultimately.  The gear though, it's fantastic and the prices are unbeatable. 

Anyway, PTE has restocked now, a couple times over, at Big Lots stores...

My nearest store went from having:

-Humvees, Littlebird choppers, a few figure play packs,

to having:

-Chinese AFV's, Chinese Tanks, Chinese Dune Buggy/car thing, U.S. Dune Buggies, SWAT Deluxe Figures, SWAT 3-packs, Navy SEAL Deluxe Figs, Navy SEAL 3-packs, all the other military 3-packs, F-18 Fighter Jets, Deluxe Military Figure Sets (bivouac, horse, camel, etc.), Lookout Towers (my personal favorites, as these, with some paint, really look Star Warsy IMO.  Or really any military looks good with them), Chinese helicopters, and the biggie...

The bombed out Mid-East building!  For a cool $30, you cannot beat it.  But people are also reporting finding the "Pizza Hutt" looking command center playset as well.

So far though, no reports of the Bridge Playset, which is my all-time favorite item they ever made I think, and no reports of the Deluxe 2-Figure Sets...  Like the bunkbeds/footlocker, the full-sized tents, etc.  I miss those sets a lot.

Still though, I've probably spent $200 on PTE stuff in the last week, and sell the figures off to recoop a small bit of that back.  I use the gear with SW figures, and my military figures, so it works out.  I bought my second of the bombed-out building.  It looks awesome out of the box, but a little paint would go miles with it to spiff it up even more.  And if you wanted to go the extra mile, it could be customized a bit to look even more Star Warsy.  It's a very cool looking run-down Tatooine Building.  I use it to display a Sandtrooper Patrol inspecting the building and stuff.  I'm going to add to the new one, and build the inside up a little bit as it's sparse.  For $30 though, you get a big assed 3-story building with damaged pieces, windows and doors, lots of places to just display figures.  It's worth it for that alone.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #650 on: October 16, 2010, 02:31 AM »
A dude in China got the last two Germans which were a bitch to find in the U.S., so I ordered two (Like $7 each or something, and good shipping from China), and they arrived today.  The one guy's late-war, splinter cammo, stubbly...

The other guy has the jackboots but has what I think are autumn camo pants on and a regular coat on top.  The figure sports a tan hat, which I think was to be autumn camo as well?  I don't know though.  It looks more like DAK to me, ultimately.

Either way, two figures done that I don't need to find anymore, not that I was looking hard...  I chalked it up to fate that I'd not get them.  So the score was nice.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 17, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Pics?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #652 on: October 18, 2010, 02:48 AM »
Sure thing boss!

This guy's my favorite, but mine that arrived had abnormally loose knee joints (and really, all the joints), and I really don't get the hat.  It's a very mustardy/tan hat, no camo.  It's very DAK.

The stubble's actually really neat up close.  Best on a figure I've ever seen.  The camo on the jacket and helmet is really nice too.  Of course, his gear doesn't plug into his belt well and will need drilled out by hand to fit in properly.  He's one of the more poorly made figures, which is to be expected since he's from the company's death throws.

EDIT: I'm having trouble finding the other guy, but my guy I got in the mail lacked a helmet.  :(  I'm bummed over that.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 18, 2010, 07:57 AM »

He has what appears to be Modern US 3 Color Desert Camo pants.  Wow, the Germans invented a time machine and THATS what they brought back?

I have not seen any WWII German Pattern that resembles that one.

But those are a couple of the best Germans I have seen from 21st toys.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #654 on: October 18, 2010, 01:05 PM »
The top guy was first released in a camo like the bottom guy's pants, but with the helmet, jacket, and pants, all that camo.  At the time I thought you'd mentioned something about snipers having camo like that only? 

It does sorta look like Desert Storm camo, actually.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 5, 2010, 12:31 AM »
I stopped in Big Lots tonight, first time in a while, and they had bunch more of the PTE stuff stocked than the last time I was in.

They had a bunch of the $3.50 sets including the parachute and kayak sets and, best of all, the horse and camel sets.  I'm going to stop back tomorrow and pick up one of each of those, I think.  They'll go good with the new 3.75" AT figs from the Joe club.

They had the $30 Mid East building as well as the jet and a new personnel carrier along with the tanks.  They also had the dune buggy and a rapid response vehicle which hadn't been there before.

Oh, and the watch towers!  That's the first time I've seen them and the building in person.  The towers are excellent.  The building is okay, but I thought there was more to it then there is.  I think I'd like Command Post better but they didn't have one. 

Anyway, I was kind of geeked to find all that stuff.  My local store had a big stock of stuff like this a couple years ago but it's been kind of dry recently.  The two sets I wish I'd gotten now that I passed on back then are 12" sets, they had one trail set with a mule and a barracks set with bunk beds and a locker.  If I ever see either of those two  sets again I'll probably snap them up.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #656 on: November 9, 2010, 02:47 AM »
Got some weird photos from Asia of Power Team Elite figures, but they're nothing I've seen before.  I'm 99.9% sure they are PTE though, in the sculpt/style.  It's pretty distinctive.

Looks like maybe adventurers, or generic "enemies" or something?

The PTE line is 100% unnoticed by so many for the quality stuff they crank out despite being a "cheap toy" brand.  Their figures lack some I think, at least from a customizing POV, but the gear by itself is more than worth the price for sets of figures and such.

I'm hopeful the PTE line will expand some.  It's got lots of room to grow.  If they sharpened their sculpts a little and did removable headgear as a standard thing int he line, they'd kill.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:39 PM by Jesse James »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 10, 2010, 06:14 PM »
A couple of years ago didn't that company make some 12" sport/adventure sets?  Kayak, mountain climber, that type of thing.  Maybe this is there 4" version of those.

If they pay attention to what Hasbro and the Joe Club do with the GI Joe line, maybe they're looking to tap into that Adventure Team area that the Club started this year.  If they make some cool stuff, it might be worth picking up to go with the Club AT sets.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #658 on: November 10, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I'm hoping you're right E...  And I think they did do some 12" figures.

That one guy looks very military, the other guy, not so much.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 22, 2010, 12:50 AM »
I finally got around to stopping at Big Lots again this weekend and picked up one each of the horse and camel $3.50 sets.  They were pretty decimated over what was on the shelf the first time I found them. I actually thought I'd missed out on the camel set but found one on a different shelf.  The bombed out building has sold well and so have the smaller vehicle sets.  I was kind of surprised.

The quality on the two animals and some of the accessories is well done.  The figures are okay for the price, but not really that great for anything I'd use them for.  I have two figures if anyone wants them; green camo/boonie hat from the horse set and desert camo/helmet on the fig from the camel set.  Free for the taking, otherwise I'm going to toss them.  I am keeping the accessories, though.

E...