Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 362198 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #195 on: June 1, 2005, 05:21 PM »
For the first time I've seen a D-Day Spitfire in person.  I'm temppted to take back my Spit for the D-Day.

The figures still haven't shown in my area, nor has the Panzer, nor the Dodge Truck, etc...  I'm bumming.  I wanted to pick up Marines and BotB figures galore. :(  Wal-Mart sucks ass for distribution.  I miss TRU carrying the line, though they bungled the German figures completely.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2005, 02:28 AM »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #197 on: July 6, 2005, 02:22 AM »
At a recent show, BBI unveiled 1:18 scale Paratroopers (82nd and 101st) with working chutes...  Now, there's a catch.

The figures look unbelievable, and BBI's new articulation is great, but unfortunately it appears the harnesses and life vests are molded on gear that cannot be removed.  :(  This sucks total balls, to be perfectly blunt.  It'll be cool to have one or two guys like they're landing or something, but they don't make good figures for ANYTHING but this.  :(

I'm so bummed that they don't have the removable gear...  That'd make them truly fantastic figures.  They still look good for what they are, and have lots of equipment (Machine guns, mortars, etc.).  BBI's always got top-notch accessories.  I just wish we'd have figures that could complement the 21st guys in a diorama.  I hope they opt for some non-parachute-laden paratroopers.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 6, 2005, 11:45 PM »
And 21st looks like they took the idea for the 12 packs we saw last year and have made an SS pack. Not really sure what to think of the thing...I mean, full parade uniformed SS soldiers? Why would we need those?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #199 on: July 7, 2005, 02:02 AM »
I'd buy them, but for no real reason other than to have a set...

I'd much rather see Series 1 US and German infantry in the new articulation style with removable headgear.  That's a 12-pack that would get me.  I guess 21st maybe feels that, if they're gonna get slapped on the wrist for selling "Nazi" stuff anywya, they may as well actually SELL Nazi stuff... 

I'd really rather that they focused on common war-time uni's though like U.S. infantry and German Infantry...   :-\

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 7, 2005, 02:10 AM »
So would I. I'm still torn on wheither or not to get that set or not, I mean I'm not offended by it...its just a little weird is all.

It does look like a cool set though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #201 on: July 7, 2005, 02:57 AM »
Yeah, I blew the pic up and it's really neat looking...  Actually.

Weird, but if you wanted an "Eagle's Nest Defense" diorama it could work maybe?  I was thinking that SS in parade dress were still defending the Eagle's Nest when the 101st arrived, but in short supply.

They're definitely 21st figures...  Look to have the new articulation, all apear to have removable headgear...

I dunno that $150 is what I wanna plunk down for 16 figures though.  :(  Otherwise I'd buy a set.

Now, do that with all Wermacht in field grey, and cammo, and winter fatigues, and I'd buy ALL 3 sets.  Maybe even a couple of each if given time.

Same with Marines, and US Army Infantry sets.  I'd dig paratrooper sets too so long as they both were D-Day/Europe specific...  A Market Garden set wouldn't hurt either.

For the German sets it would be great if field caps and helmets were included for all troops, but that's just being picky. :)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 7, 2005, 03:37 AM »
I still really want British, Soviet, Italian, Japanese and Canadian figures. *Sigh* Don't they realize they'd sell?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #203 on: July 7, 2005, 05:09 PM »
The Japanese are going to be at SDCC, so they're on the way...

I would like Russians and British troops, maybe some French Resistance too, but Italians and stuff may have a tougher time appealing to people outside the die-hards.  Kind of like obscure armor and planes...  I dunno.

I'd think Russians and British, or even just British figures would have some popularity. 

I'dd be happy with much of anything right now though...  Besides the Marines, it's been a while since new figures were out.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 7, 2005, 10:45 PM »
Yeah, I still haven't picked up any Marines though. They just so happened to come out JUST after I spent all my Christmas Cash.  ::)

Whats a shame is that there are no plans for Japanese Armor. Ah well, more un-even battles.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #205 on: July 8, 2005, 03:35 AM »
Eh, the Japanese didn't have the swiftest junk in the war anyway...  I'm not surprised since I don't know many people that could name a piece of Japanese armor but a Panther or Tiger Tank are sorta known names... 

I wish they'd crank out those movie figures.  I think 21st has a good thing going with maybe doing Bridge Too Far, Bridge on River Kwai, Platoon, or other war film figures...  I'd take some SPR figures i know, or a Band of Brothers boxed set of re-issued 101st Para's with new headsculpts.

At this point though, those boxed sets they showed a while ago would be nice to see something new about...  Same with some new figures.  They gotta get off their ass and put stuff out routinely though, and stop dicking us around about junk.  BBI as well, who showed those great WW2 US infantry guys then nothing...  Well screw you too BBI!  >:(

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2005, 05:07 AM »
Japs are appearently showing up across the country. No such luck around here, although I almost picked up the Pacific Sherman and Halftracks at Wal-Mart tonight.

Even though I'm strapped for cash, Jesse, Rob says he found some Japanese Infantry in Dallas yesterday. You might want to get in contact with him if you can't find any.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2005, 08:50 PM »
I'm to the point I'll likely order online...  I gotta get marines yet even.  I still don't have a set.  :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2005, 04:53 AM »
Sounds like COmic-Con was only good if you're into planes...

21st showed a Zero which they'd previously denied would happen till just now.  Everyone congratulated them on a "great surprise", but to me this asinine stealth **** between 21st and BBI has become retarded. 

Speaking of BBI, they had little to no presence at the show...  Not that I didn't expect just that out of them.  BBI has about as much customer interaction/quality as most big box retailers.   ::)  Sounds like Hasbro!  You'd think they were a bigger company the wayt hey basically shun their fans on information.

21st showed the Japanese infantry, and sold them in limited edition boxes I guess (and for cheap I hear), but the Jap infantry are also hitting Wal-Mart shelves!  That's good news, unfortunately my local Wal-Mart stores haven't put JACK and **** out for 21st stuff in a long time, and I just passed Jack on his way out of town. 

Supposedly the Jap infantry and Camo-deco marines are due out to WM stores though, as is the camo Sherman ("COED") among other stuff...  I guess the stuff that is shipping (a Dodge truck, Command Car, hannomag, halftrack, Sherman, Bulldog, etc.) has new figures in it...  Or repainted stuff. 

Like para's with new paintjobs and whatnot.  That's cool, but finding the stuff's been a pain.

Word from what WAS there of BBI, was that the paratroopers they showed recently WILL NOT have removable chutes/life vests as was feared.  That sucks bigtime.  The figures are basically useless unless you have them to throw in the air and watch 'em fall.

Great extra accessories, nice headsculpts, terrible figure choice on the "gear" though.  The accessories though, magnificent.

Anyway, 21st also showed a master for the Avenger...  Ig uess it's huge, and it's one of the few planes I may get.  They showed their Mustang too I guess, complete w/opening gun-bay details I guess...  This means squat to me personally.  I want a Mustang but I hear the BBI one (with a better figure) is equal to the 21st one or better short of the gunbay detail.  So in that case, give me the "Killer" BBI Mustang with the pilot that has all that kick ass gear.

Gotta get a BBI Sherman still too.  That thing is sweet.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2005, 03:17 PM »
Are these toys only available at Toys R Us?  My TRU has 10 of these figures (only 3 different figures) and have not seemed to be restocked in at least 4 or 5 months.  I really like these figures and would definitely buy some more (especially for customs), but I haven't seen them anywhere else.  Is there a good website that I could order these from?
Any ideas?
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.