Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 363726 times)

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2006, 01:53 PM »
I picked up a 1:18 scale F-86 Sabre at the E Lancaster WM and I have to say this is an excellent plane. I appreciate the details like the airbrakes and double hinged nose wheel door, but the gun access doors  and the "real" cloth restraining harness was a pleasant surprise. The plane came with 2 each optional drop tanks and sidewinders complete with rails, but I prefer to display my fighters clean.

21st gives you all this and more at 5 bucks cheaper than the overpriced TRU Tie. Makes me dream of  the possibilities if they took over the SW Basic figure scale vehicle line.

Wish list
Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star
Republic F-84F Thunderstreak
Grumman F-9F Cougar
Sikorsky H-5
Bell 47G
Bell X-1
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Picked up some Battle of the Bulge figures for customs...it was the first time I saw them, excellent job on 21st's part.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2006, 01:54 AM »
Good score.  I haven't seen new figures on WM pegs in a while...  We're still sitting on the same Japanese and Marines pegwarming out here.  :(

If the Japanese had been given more rifles and less mortars, I'd have bought all the figures chilling at my local Wally actually.  W/out the Rifle I'm reluctant to army build a guy with a mortar and no means of personal defense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2006, 10:05 AM »
The Beaver Valley WalMart and the Robinson Walmart both have healthy amounts of the Bob Figures...Beaver also has a nice selection of SW, saw at least 4-5 Death Star Gunners...

I only bought a couple Imp. Marines. You're right about the rifles.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #349 on: November 1, 2006, 01:38 AM »
More new figures, this time two tankers...  The positives are:

-Good generic base sculpts
-Lots of extras, including guns which are needed to make toys fun
-BotB extra gear too for non-D-Day ass kicking, but instead the rush to save Bastogne ass kicking.

The negatives though are:

-******* molded-on hats/helmets...  I'm sick of jeep caps.
-No ammo belts to make them less tanker-ish.  If you wanted to slip these guys in as army builders they could use some M1 bandoleirs or a shoulder bag of Thompson ammo.  Something to give them ammo to make them appear more generic footsoldier-ish.
-Boots in Gaiters...  Be nice to have finally seen guys with their pants untucked and over the boot.

I gotta say though, the loader's extra hands on the posed arms are great...  I want to put those on his BotB poseable arms though or something because my tanks are all winter washes, not D-Day green.  :(  Hell a green regular old Sherman hasn't been available since Series 1!  Holy hell, that's a travesty.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 1, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I am really disappointed that we haven't seen more Germans. The two showed originally got me psyched, but all the U.S. guys are a let down. They all use the old torso and leg molds just with new heads, accessories, and arms. I will probablly pass on all but the Germans.
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #351 on: November 2, 2006, 02:38 AM »
The GI's didn't disappoint me at all personally...  They're pretty great really, for what they are, and I was really looking forward to Series 1 kind of getting a revamp here...  They needed it considering basic US and German troops from the ETO were stuck with all the ****** articulation.

That said, more Germans would be nice...  They have the more diverse outfit choices.  That said, someone at the XD board mentioned how Germans are the harder sell due to the subject matter...  That is true.

But, anyway the other Tankers (there are more somehow) are on the way soon, and this weekend I guess the German DAK are on their way, so that's something cool to look forward to Spidey.

Now I'll want US guys for N. Africa and Brits...  If we're getting DAK that is, who is gonna fight them?

Add to that, only 2 DAK?  Hmmm :(  Be nice to get at least 4, like an Officer a rifleman, an MP40 guy, and an MG'er...  One in shorts would be awesome too.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 2, 2006, 08:43 AM »

Now I'll want US guys for N. Africa and Brits...  If we're getting DAK that is, who is gonna fight them?

Add to that, only 2 DAK?  Hmmm :(  Be nice to get at least 4, like an Officer a rifleman, an MP40 guy, and an MG'er...  One in shorts would be awesome too.

That classic photo of the British Desert Rat in shorts, Tommy Helmet and Enfield with a bayonet running would be great subject matter.

The key will be that if we get US troops from N. Afrika or Sicily...I hope they don't show up in thier DDay gear or BoB gear just painted a different color.

Or even some tropical Fallschirmjaeger with the over-baggy jump pants, longsleeve shirt (rolled up) and M-41 Tropical Cap (removable of course)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #353 on: November 3, 2006, 01:36 AM »
I can't believe the US tanks are getting a whole crew yet there isn't an interior on the Sherman.  I'm really hoping this means a retooling of the Sherman with full interior is on the way, this has me hopeful.

Check out this figure update tonight though...  This first figure kicks ass.  A removable tanker cap AND removable binoc case that MIGHT open?  Even if it doesn't it's cool to me.

And paperwork?  That kicks ass on a massive level.

And this guy with the goggles down is SORELY needed...  I can't wait to pick him up too.

Again it goes without saying that I hate jeep caps at this point.  a single removable jeepcap sculpt should be made and re-used over these molded-on hats.  I hate 'em.

The tank crew turned out kind of extra cool though and you can't deny they're good "variety" bodies for D-Day army builders too, that's a plus unto itself.  I just wish we had some Thompson sachels, medic bags, and other accessories to ADD to these figures (and a head/helmet/hand set) to really spice up these tankers into infantry guys.  I'll just remove the unit logos on the shoulders with goof off.

You get cool stuff like picks, shovels and other extras though, and I think 21st is stepping it up some with this wave of figures.  Plus all the BotB extras...  Not too shabby.

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 3, 2006, 09:27 AM »
The accessories are about the only things that I like. The figures themselves are just rehashes with new heads. I just can't justify it. I mean if 21st Century wants to call them kit bashes or re-releases with new heads and gear, I am fine with it. But calling these figures all new is pretty crappy. Some of the first preview picks were exciting, but this tanker body, I am tired of seeing it. Saw it in BOB, saw it in BOB 2, and now here. At least they could resculpt it. I hate the little holes for accessories. Just give the figure a removable belt or sculpt the items onto the figure.
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #355 on: November 4, 2006, 01:39 AM »
I didn't even realize that one guy's name was Jesse James...  Doesn't really look like me but I'll take it.  The "Wildman" bit though...  Meh, I can do without that.  When you have a name like mine, you didn't need nicknames.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 6, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Ok...the Afrika Korps is up...the PVT looks decent...the Captain...looks like he has some decent accessories, however why does the Captain have K98 ammo pouches?  And worse yet they appear to be molded on.  I know they are re-using parts, and that is fine within a range of ranks in the German Army, but Officer and EM/NCO's did not share the same Beltbuckles etc.  The advantage is that he has no officer insignia either, so as long as you don't put the Peak Cap on him he is just another grunt.

And the lack of helmet is a bit of a let down.

And if I am wishing..I'd go for the Low Boots version as well.

Now with the stich counting out of the way......

Of course I'll snag a few.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #357 on: November 6, 2006, 03:17 PM »
I agree Paul except from an army building POV the Officer's probably better the way he is...  A little rank removable and a K-98 and he's set to be another schmuck about to get his sandy ass handed to him by Patton! :)

Considering it's only 2 figures I'm sorta glad the officer's a better soldier than an officer...  For the curious, here's pics...  BTW I'm disappointed in the Private's fieldcap not being removable.  At this stage that's a travesty.

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 7, 2006, 10:42 AM »
The Wal-Mart in SE Palmdale got some new 1:18 scale P-51 Mustangs and F-104 Starfighters. The F-104s are interesting in that they sport the USAF jungle camoflage with the name "Smoke II", yet the box they're in is the same one as the Luftwaffe version release. They had a ton of the 1:48 scale planes but no new 1:32 scale planes.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 7, 2006, 11:07 AM »
Those aren't new..they've been there for a couple days now.