Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 362223 times)

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Does anyone have the Stuka fighter in 1:18th? There's a few sitting at my local WalMart and I'm debating on whether or not I should pick it up. How are their fighters, anyways?
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I have a couple of Stukas and I'm very happy to have them. The designers threw in alot of neat details like, forward and rear opening canopies, swivel rear mounted machine gun, landing gear mounted "terror sirens", dive brakes, movable elevator and rudder, 500 pound bomb with swing-out cradle as well as additional bomblets, and of course the pilot and rear gunner.

If the price doesn't bother you, you should know that the planes are made of plastic much more brittle than your common Star Wars vehicle, and parts tend to brake when forced during assembly. Also these things are huge, make sure you have plenty of space for them, I hang them up myself.

I'm a history nut, and an aviation fan so picking these planes up is a no brainer for me, but these things are cool enough that any toy collector can appreciate them. Just remember to be gentle with them.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #377 on: December 21, 2006, 03:22 AM »
DN,

I have 2 Stuka's and have considered selling one of them actually...  Not that they're bad, they're just too big for me.  If you're interested I'd sell you one of mine actually I think...  Planes are great but big and SW is taking over in my collecting realm so figures and armor are where I'm remaining at this point.  No big planes for me. :(

Stuka's fantastic though...  Big, bulky, 2 pilot figures too...  Lots of detail.  One of the best fighters made.

EDIT:

BTW, I saw D-Day out at the Mills Mall tonight too...  had money for one though with the holidays here.  :(  I'm bummed...  A ****** day just kept getting worse.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 03:23 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 23, 2006, 12:57 AM »
Today I saw a DDay 2nd Ranger Scout with his insert upside down. I considered buying him just to take a pic and for some extra fodder but I was already swamped with other Christmas gifts.

I did pick up the Stuka today, though, and just spent a good half hour putting it together. It's my first WW2 plane, and it's fantastic. I have no place to put it, though I think I'll hang it up. What do you guys use?

Thanks for the headsup Darth Broem, it was rather hard to put it together. I had to use some superglue on the tail fins for it to stay on.

I really love the camo scheme on it, but the figures are hard as hell to put in the cockpit in a good pose. And I just gave up on having the gunner hold onto the MG-15.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #379 on: December 23, 2006, 02:06 AM »
I found it was best to kind of get his hand on the gun, and then work him into the plane.  True scale does pose its problems.

That said, if you're in the market for planes, I'm really contemplating selling some of them, and I'd probably cut a better deal than what I paid on one or two...  Food for thought.

My fav Stuka is the winter white.  Sweet ride that is with the sharktoothed bomb and all...  The line really catered to the plane guys for years so there's a lot of them out there...  My P-38's my all-time favorite though.  Big and beautiful...

I hung mine with high-strength fishing wire and strong eyehooks in the ceiling if that's any help...  I found beams to mount the hooks to so they anchored in well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #380 on: December 29, 2006, 02:00 AM »
I picked up the new Grey short-barrel Panzer the other day at a local WM...  $35 on clearance, and the last one in teh store.  These got put out in a weird aisle like 10 days before X-Mas and clearanced like Tuesday...  That's bull****.  They're RC like the other Panzers were before it by the way, and the first I'd seen this paintjob.

I actually returned my old Panzer (RC) in this one's box...  The grey Panzer's box pictures my Panzer so I didn't exactly feel bad about reboxing it and returning it.  I like the grey much better, and essentially they're the same thing with different paintjobs so this is one time returning something different didn't bother me so I was glad to do it.  The grey's just much more generic and fits my collecting schemes while the tan was for the Eastern Front and since I have jack **** from that front I wanted the grey...  I can BS this as D-Day armor or something.

They had like 8 of them, but only 1 was left yesterday when I picked it up.  Cool beans though, it's a good buy for $35 if someone sees the one I returned...

The downsides of the RC Panzers are that the track plastic is brittle and doesn't take a lot of beating, the tank runs faster than it should, and you can't fit a full figure in a hatch because they're molded off...  For $50 though, an RC tank is a steal at that price.  For $35 you're just damned lucky to get something this cool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #381 on: January 8, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Got more...  I picked up a pile last night, including the 2 DAK Troopers that simply rock.

Anyway, here's what I got...

-D-Day German Infantryman...  Guy with camo helmet.  He's about as good a generic German infantryman as they've made ever, pretty cool other than his oblong head...  Paintjobs on these are iffy on the skin, but the bodies are pretty nicely painted.  It's just odd how they cast the parts in white and painted on the flesh tones and such instead of casting in color.

This figure came with a removable black coat (open I think) and it rocks...  The coat's not right according to Paul, I wasn't really sure though.  It looks cool on him though, but no good rifle hands for the poseable coat arms unfortunately.  If you don't use it, remember me because it's great customizing fodder, haha.

-D-Day German Officer...  Weak in that he comes with less "stuff" but he too has the cool removable black coat.  His is buttoned though.  He did disappoint me that he didn't come with a Luger, a map case, etc.  It would've been great to have gotten actually this guy's legs on a smocked camo body with an MP44 and pouches, but that's me.  He's cool nonetheless, but getting his hat on isn't any small feat.

-Afrika Korps Officer...  Cool figure, and works as an officer or a regular Joe...  The figure seemingly lacks the holes for his map pouch and his ammo packets though, but the fact he comes with two hats is nice, and I LOVE the removable field caps on the Germans.  I have him as a regular schmuck...  Again, like all figures in this wave the paintjobs are so-so at best.  The body is fine, but the arms being bare really show the sloppy paint.  My Officer looks like he has a big scar on his right forearm.

-Afrika Korps Rifleman...  Two heads, one with goggles down, makes this a great army builder, however the hats are molded on and that blows.  Still, this is probably one of the best "generic" German infantryman ever made.  I now want Brits and Americans to fight him! 

-U.S. Bazooka Man...  Pretty cool "generic" D-Day figure.  If you've got extra gear it would go great with him as a regular infantryman, as he comes with no rifle, but he does have a pistol and some random gear...  I'm loving the D-Day vests, if for no other reason than my own personal customizing selfishness.  They're just simply ideal vests for Star Wars figures.  Same ****** skin paintjobs.

This guy comes with 2 unique tipped rockets too.  Dunno which is which but I assume one's anti-armor and one isn't.  I'm unsure though.

-U.S. Rifleman...  Same as above.  A lot to love but the paint.  One of these guys didn't have the vest and I can't recall who...  I think the rifleman and the Bazooka guy (I may be in error on him) didn't come with the vest now that I think of it.  I handed some off to BBI D-Day guys.

-U.S. BAR Gunner...  I KNOW he had a vest with him and he rocks.  His pouches seem odd though, but still a great figure in general with a modified headsculpt it seems (new hair on an existing head I'm thinking).  Same ****** paint.

I'd say all the U.S. guys are fantastic though, and really I like this entire wave for the most part...

One disappointment was the headsculpt on the guy with the M1 Carbine which I got earlier...  He can't have a helmet on him because his hair is too spiffy.  Disappointing to say the least.  I have him as a guy running up the beaches after falling and losing his helmet. 

Another disappointment is that, instead of new heads all around, some of the heads are re-used between Americans and Germans, also it seems like some heads are simple modifications to past headsculpts.  Youc an usually tell a modded head because it lacks the ball/socket joint that the new sculpts have.  That's a little disappointing.

Anyway, so far the tankers are the slow movers...  duh.  Though the odd thing is, with some work and extra heads/helmets the tankers would make outstanding infantry for either D-Day or Bastogne (most of them have mackinaws, which rocks).  I haven't seen either Pvt. Hodges or Lt. Richards, I can't remember which, yet.  I think it's the Lt. though.

All these figures lack proper rank to their cardbacks by the way.  The BAR Gunner figure is a Sgt. but listed as a private (would a Sgt. be given the BAR?  I'm thinking no on that, but I'm not sure now).  The 4 tankers are cool but just lack the umph of the others.  If all of them had removable headgear I think they'd do better for simply being better fodder.

Someone needs to start making WW2 accessories...  helmets and rifles in particular are in demand at this point.  I'd buy some actually if cast in color. 

Good stuff though, this wave is my favorite to-date due to the beefed up articulation...  Which speaking of, the 2 DAK figures are lacking ball/socket shoulders indicating to me they are a hold-over from a cancelled wave of DAK at one point.  I think they were made at some point and not released, maybe intended for TRU at one point and held over till now and mixed in.  Disappointing on the shoudlers but still they're SA otherwise.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 10, 2007, 09:14 PM »
So is the 2nd wave of new figures hitting WalMarts now Jesse? Or did you order them online?

Your writeup was very nice man. I agree with you 100% on the points you made on the figures that I already bought.

I haven't been to WalMart since before Christmas and then the first wave of new figures seemed to be selling rather well.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #383 on: January 11, 2007, 01:25 AM »
Yeah this is wave 2 of the D-Day figures, found at WM...  + 2 DAK figures.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:26 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Alright...more 1:144 scale fighter plane repaints found at NE Lancaster WM last night. Now I do appreciate the diverse paint schemes of aircraft, but I think it's time for new sculpts.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 11, 2007, 03:18 PM »
I'm going to be going to WalMart tonight to pick up a few supplies for a camping trip, and I'm hoping I'll be able to find the new Germans. Especially the DAK ones so I can set them up with my Stuka fighter (I think the one I bought has North Africa Camo).

Only, I have no f-ing clue what happened to it's canopy. It fell off one day when I wasn't home and I can't seem to find it anywhere, damnit!

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 11, 2007, 05:52 PM »
Hmmm, does anybody think that 21st Century will consider making Soviet soldiers for the eastern front?
I would love to see a Soviet Commissar, Sniper, Conscript, ect. ect.
So far I only have a US Rifleman from the Big Red One, a US Jeep with driver and a German Captain and a German foot soldier.  :P
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25 PM »
The closest thing I've seen is a 1:32 scale "Battle of Stalingrad" playset that I bought my nephew for Christmas. I believe the company wants to do Eastern Front but might be wary of it's marketability.

I'd buy a 1:18 Yak-3, or Il-2 Shturmovik.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #388 on: January 11, 2007, 08:20 PM »
21st is him-hawing on 1:18 from other nationalities...  It took them a while to do Japanese actually, but they did well at retail...  At the same time they had U.S. figures to help them too, which is sort of a key.  German stuff tends to do well in general so it moves, but testing the waters with British troops would be (I would think) the next logical step personally...  They could then maybe give some Canadian repaints of those a try just to see where it goes...  With the DAK I'd think that would be a decent time to maybe look at mixing in some NA British with some NA Americans perhaps.

Russians...  They're a little trickier since their front was exclusively theirs.  It's I think likely we'll see some other nationalities mixed in, but I think it's more likely we'll see them mixed in kind of like these 2 DAK figures were in that they'll slip into a wave of GI's or Germans from various fronts or troop types instead of seeing dedicated waves.  The Japanese were a real risk that way.

Hell I'd love some "resistance" generic looking fighters...  Something that would work for Polish, French, Dutch, or whatever resistance group you'd think of...  Slip them in with some GI's in warmer weather garb or something...  I just don't count on the big waves like the Japanese for these things since there's no U.S. wave to counter it really, and help balance it out on the pegs.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 12, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I cant find any 21st Century anywhere, its bothering me, but I would certainly order them if they made russians, say does anybody have a link or a pic of that battle of Stalingrad?
Clone Commander Appo.