Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 363032 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc.)
« Reply #480 on: January 6, 2008, 04:01 AM »
Just in time for Indiana Jones...

2-Pack DAK...  Perfect army building with imperfect figures.  Yes, I see the ammo pouches Paul. :)  Plus people are bitching about the lace-ups, and want shorts, which I agree on both points there too... 

More Nam stuff, which I honestly could give a **** about...  Sorry, just not my cup of tea.  As it is, I sort of relent on buying modern, and don't army build it.  Just not my era I was into is all...  I worry about it pegwarming too, but who knows.

And finally, final shots of the amazing German 88...  THe gun that EVERY allied soldier dreaded...  High time it got made because, well, it was used every friggin' place.

And as you can see, the paintjob is all DAK tan...  Indiana JOnes would be ******** his pants if Belloq had one of these lobbing shells his way though.  :o

THat may be the slickest looking piece 21st has ever made in terms of detail.  I'm really anxious for simple panzer grey or winter white ones for Europe though...  But with 2-pack DAK figures, I will certainly have enough guys to crew this thing too.

Yay toys.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #481 on: January 14, 2008, 09:41 PM »

A new Pak-40 Hanomag...  In "Normandy Summer '44" deco...  But people are already saying Pak-40 Hano's didn't exist in the Summer of '44, soooooooo...  Well, I dunno.  I like it, but I do know they were used at the Bulge, so I'd prefer a whitewashed one for my BotB Germans to be manning.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #482 on: January 17, 2008, 01:35 AM »
I got some 2-packs tonight...  For $8 and change, you get two figures...  That's a deal.

I got the two Camo Germans, and the two D-Day "Versus" figures (US Sergeant and German Corporal).  The camo's are quite cool, but as with many figures this year, the ammo pouches aren't matching up with the figure's weapon all the time.

Good paintjobs though.  Better skin tones.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)
« Reply #483 on: January 26, 2008, 03:06 AM »
Yet more stuff...

Two new DAK (Deutsch Afrika Korps) figures pictured...  They utilize old bodies, however 21st is now giving their WW2 figures the same treatment the Nam figures got with a 2nd set of pre-posed legs.  The pre-posed legs are gonna go over like gangbusters for scenes like loading a cannon (PAK-40 or the upcoming desert camo 88!).

Still annoyed on the ammo pouches, but I am pleased to see both these DAK get unique headsculpts with removable field caps.  Yay 21st on that, and it's also nice to see the MP40 back...  Just would like proper ammo pouches as Paul would as well. ;)

The timing of the DAK are good too considering Indiana JOnes...  They'll match up well with Indy.

The artillery crewman's a pretty shrewd move since I guess the 88's getting released initially as a DAK paintjob and hopefully later with some simple grey paintjobs or regular camo...  I'd like a winter one too to be honest.  The PAK I got my fill of in grey I think, but 88's just deserve multiple camo's.

The rangefinder would be neat if he had some gear like a spent 88 shell, or something, but he's not bad as-is either.  Loves me some new-ish German guys though for variation.  This line's all about the army builders.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 5, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Anybody seen this link yet?

http://www.unimax.com.hk/product_inside.php?cid=C41&type=toys

maybe somebody will get some pics at ToyFair.

I don't know enough history prior to 1860's to know if any of those particular figures were "opposition" forces....I guess I'll have to read up...

But Knight's, Romans, Egyptians and Samurai...not bad.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #485 on: February 5, 2008, 11:32 PM »
All 1:18 Paul? 

Nice...  I...  Ugh...  *sigh* I'm sure I'll buy some of them.  ::)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 6, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Jesse, have you gotten the Platoon figures yet?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #487 on: February 6, 2008, 03:15 PM »
I got two last night...  I don't feel the Dep figure looks like him really, and the DeFoe figure is so-so...  I got Berenger and Sheen, which are the better sculpts overall as far as actor accuracy.  Especially Berenger's sculpt.  Sheen's isn't bad though at all.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 6, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Paul
     They look awsume I will be adding them to my ever growing list of things to get this year,  I am thinking Target will be carring them for some reason,  Looking at the other lines this company has, they have all been sold at Target. Which is good cause if they are not a big hit they will go to clearence
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Since there's 3 companies competing with each other, all 3 didn't show a lot at Toy Fair it seems...  ::)

21st did display the 88, and the King Tiger, as well as new re-uses of the D-Day figures with an MP44 German, a .30 Cal. US guy, and it appears figures will come with the "pre-posed leg sets" we've seen with the 'Nam guys now.  So that's cool, as it really helps with displaying figures around a machine gun, or loading a cannon/artillery piece, etc.  I still prefer poseable, but the pre-posed legs will definitely get some use out of me for displaying purposes.  I mean, Bazooka guys running up the beach are cool, but crouched with a loader slipping a shell in is such a cool looking set-up.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #490 on: March 4, 2008, 03:51 AM »

I picked this dude up tonight...  No range-finder was there though.  Dunno if they're not shipping together or what.

I hear the Nam 2-packs are being found, but not sure on the DAK 2-packs.  I'd love the range-finder and 2-pack though.

Indy guys may want to nab some Germans for their future Indiana Jones collecting needs.  TRU has a ton right now, and they're cheaper than Hasbro figures, so you can't go wrong there really.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 4, 2008, 06:20 AM »
Did anyone else see the new Forces of Valor WW2 US soldiers? I like their head sculpts and weapons better, but it seems that 21st Century is still on top with their sculpts and articulation.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #492 on: April 2, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Ugh...  OK, so bad news for the hobby unfortunately.

Word on the street is that WM is knuckling down on 21st items because of poor sales of the recent planes, so may be down to 1:32 stuff and 1:18 figures only at WM now...  No hopes of KT or 88 showing.

And what's worse...  Sounds like Etailers are saying the King Tiger and 88 are coming in at a WHOPPING $100 each.  At that price I'm highly unlikely to get both, I'm 99% certain I won't get the 88 due to the DAK paintjob on it (not my favored area of collecting), and the King Tiger I'm torn on whether I'll get it or not.

No word yet if these both may show up at Toys R Us for a more fair/reasonable price though...  And honestly, nothing concrete says they won't show up at Wal-Mart either, it's just a rumor... 

I guess people are claiming they're going to make the line much more collector-only oriented and with fewer numbers in a production run.  What's really irksome though is a Panther repaint, the first German tank they ever made, is showing for $100 as well on etailer sites...  I paid $40 for mine, so I find that more than unreasonable and won't be buying any Panther for that price.

Good news though that FOV is at Target and perhaps they'll expand the 1:18 line further.  I hope...  :-\  And of course, TRU is still selling XD stuff so there is hope.  For $80 I'd get the KT and 88 both probably.  Not for $100 each though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #493 on: June 8, 2008, 07:04 PM »
Haven't had time to update this in a while...  Lots of stuff shipping/surfacing.

First, word is Toys R Us just got a shipment of unexpected repainted World War 2 figures from BBI.  All 4 of the original infantry and the non-jump paratrooper got repainted with unit insignias on the helmets and other deco changes.

-BAR Gunner
-Rifleman
-"Officer" (in D-Day landing vest)
-U.S. Paratrooper Rifleman

BBI's figures are among the best sculpted so that's a nice surprise.  Some variety to the ranks never hurts and all the BBI guys sit really well.

21st Century's first King Tiger/Tiger 2 Tanks have surfaced though it's sporadic and online sales only.  $100 pricetag is going to keep a lot of folks from buying.  People are actually moving towards some of the 1:16 scale RC tanks out there, as for $70-ish you can get a pretty outstanding RC tank that's compatible with the figures.  Usually they have sounds, many features (beyond RC movement) and just are really nice, plus they're upgradeable.

TRU's been getting lots of 21st's planes in.  Not my cup of tea generally as my ceiling is full already, but cool for plane guys.

21st's figures have been showing up in droves at WM and TRU both...  I just recently saw the new Vietnam and DAK 2-packs.  The DAK 2-pack is a huge deal to me and worth every penny.  They fill out Raiders dioramas nicely but the Raiders figures really don't match well and are very generic (as they are in the movie).  So I'm likely gonna keep them separate for the most part.  Plus as Paul's mentioned elsewhere, the Raiders Germans are pre-DAK formation even, but that just helps cover their genericness a bit.

And speaking of Raiders, the truck and German 4WD (BMW/Mercedes) have flown off shelves, as has the german with motorcycle, and tons are showing up customized in the 1:18 military world...  I've seen Western Front paintjobs, desert paintjobs, weathering, camo'ing, add-ons, etc.  They are perfect fits in the 1:18 world really, especially for the low price. 

Also the KotCS Russians are getting gobbled up for use as WW2 Russians.  They're shorter than most XD, BBI, or FOV figures, but they're pretty great...  No weapons, yet. :(

And lastly, the first sightings were reported of some figures from 21st that we got a glimpse of at Toy Fair.  A U.S. Soldier w/.30 on a tri-pod is one such figure and that's VERY needed...  He comes with pre-molded legs as well as poseable ones too, so he's perfect.

Also with him is a "sniper", though he simply has an M1, even with a bayonette on it, so he's hardly a sniper.  Maybe just a good shot. :P  Still, a US Rifleman on the pegs is OUTSTANDING as they've been missing for months.

Some areas still have D-Day 2-packs as well...  Mine is limited mostly to German 2-packs but I still find a US/German now and then and pick that one up.  The German set is great though and you get at least one field cap with it which I've been giving to some of my cold weather Germans.

Along with the old and new 2-packs, and the new basic figures, are a couple other basic figures I forgot...  A DAK German Artillery spotter with a shouting headsculpt is out, as well as two German infantry in basic wermacht green-grey uniforms.  The one has a K-98, the other an MP44, though in true 21st fashion he has no ammo packs for the 44.

Most of the newest basic figures feature pre-posed arms AND legs with the poseable arms and legs.  That's pretty outstanding and the pre-posed legs make for dandy artillery crewmen or ambush poses.

There's also a DAK MP-40 soldier as well, almost forgot him, so that's a good 6 or 8 DAK out right now I believe, and 3 or so Germans, and 2 or 3 Americans that can be found.  Not bad at all.

And on top of alllllllll that, there is Vietnam stuff abounding.  I'm not a Nam guy myself, I usually get one of every headsculpt, but there is the aforementioned 2-pack, a number of basic infantry at TRU and Wal-Mart stores, and then also there are the "Platoon" line of figures which have headsculpts for Willam DeFoe, Charlie Sheen, Johnny Depp, and Tom Berenger.  Berenger's is the best likeness, the others range from so-so to decent I think, but the paintjobs don't do the characters or sculpts justice.  If you're into the Nam though, now's the time to stock up on the green machine.

And that's about it... 

Oh and Forces of Valor keeps restocking again and again at my Target stores, and selling out again and again.  Great line...  I saw, for the first time, the camo Sherman...  THat's been out for months and months now and I've never seen it.  Nor have i yet to see a Tiger. :(  I'm bummed as I'd like one due to the variation of the plates sculpted on.  For $20 though, don't expect much.

And 21st's PAK-40 (camo), Quad-.50 Trailer, and a couple halftrack (Hanomags) variants are out at TRU.

Word is WM isn't going to carry 21st's planes, at least for a bit, due to their recent clearances of them.  Their own fault for buying umpteen of the same plane, but you can't tell 21st or WM a thing it seems.  They just both seem to feel they're doing the right thing all the time.  ::)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2008, 10:58 PM »
Jesse, I've been talking with a collecting buddy about working on an extensive Indiana Jones photonovel series... and the 21st century line seems like it might have some potential pieces that could be utilized.

However I'm not seeing any Russian toys... am I missing them, or do they not make Russian vehicles?