Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 361710 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2004, 06:15 AM »
Hey Jesse and Andrew -
So here's the scoop on those figures you guys wanted from the 21st Century booth (sorry, no pix  :-[):

They're only available as a set - not individually.  The 4-pack is $25, and comes with a free 21st Century poster.  It's the 3 figures Jesse asked for, plus a "Special Forces" figure.

Andrew, I obviously didn't buy the set for you, since you only asked for one of them.  LMK if you change your mind and want the whole set, otherwise, you're outta luck.

Jess, I went out on a limb with you, and hopefully I didn't screw the pooch here.  But I bought you the set, since it had all 3 of the figures you wanted.  No idea about that fourth one, but they said they couldn't guarantee that they'd have more tomorrow (for me to have time to confirm with you).  So it was $25 for your three, plus the "Special Forces" figure, and a free poster as part of the deal.

I tried to get individual figures, but they wouldn't budge.  So Jess, LMK if that was OK to buy the whole set for you or not.  If not, I'll see if there's any way at all that they might take them back tomorrow...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2004, 06:05 PM »
Yeah Matt, that's cool. I'll just wait till they become more widely available (say in about fifty years) to pick them up.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2004, 02:13 AM »
Totally cool by me Matt.

The Spec. Forces guy may sell actually, or i'll hack him for customs fodder.  I actually OWN the guy already (he was packed in the limtied release that 21st's Humvee saw at the end of their Toys R Us deal).  I got him and he was cool to a point, but his legs are F'n horrible in every way possible (totally hard to explain here).

So the one I get I'll sell or something...  I'm sure smeone will bite.  Or i'll hack him, like I said.  He has a cool, to-scale stocking cap, so maybe one of my customs will have a cold noggin'?

The other 3 are all brand new so I'm all for them...  With the poster, I consider it a fairly balanced transaction.  I owe ya Matt!

LMK when you get back what all I owe.

Talk to you soon, and thank you SO much for taking the time to do that...  Next year I'll have to get you to nag 21st for me to make MORE FREAKING FIGURES ALREADY!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2004, 02:30 AM »
Yes, thanks a TON Matt, you're a king!

So, Jesse, still no news on those 'new' Germans eh?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2004, 03:58 AM »
From what I can tell that's all just kitbashes.  

Someone at Gp's said some of them were early prototypes.  The guy that went to SDCC said that I guess?  They did say they were going to do 1st series infnantry with the new articulation, so perhaps it's just a cheap thing they're gonna do, but not do new heads?  That sucks if that's the case though.  The figures need removable helmets I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2004, 08:58 PM »
Well, some updated news...

A chap named "LaughingGravy2" at Ground Pounder's actually worked 21st's booth this year for them.  He does so routinely, and it makes sense he'd done it again this year but everyone forgot.

Anyway, he came back...  And he's being a bit of a pr!ck about his time there, and he's tootally being condescending at GP's site.  

Apparantly volunteering at a toy booth makes you an industry expert in his eyes because he's trashing EVERYONE at GP's site right now for their "Cry baby behavior".  I dunno what his deal is but you'd think 21st cut his checks for him.

Either way, he DID have good information.

The "marching" figures at 21st's booth were ACTUALLY a mock-up of a set of 12 troops and 4 officers in a set using existing figure parts that 21st is going to market as $100 troopo builder sets (about $6.25 a figure then).  Sounds sorta neat, if not pricey.

It would reuse parts I guess?  That's the word from the con anyway.

Also, the 2.5 ton truck's supposedly (take with salt) around the corner.  We've heard this now for how long?  I'd love it to be because I want 2 or 3 of the Dodge, but I dunno how true that actually is.

Apparantly 21st is expressing anger with their consumers through LaughingGravy.  That or he's just really a bitter person.  He's really tearing into pretty much everyone at GP's site, and even Aferguson whoo's a mod and a pretty good guy (level-headed fellow).

I guess anyone with a criticism is now getting an earful over there from LG.  To each their own, but if we all were as complacent we'd still have the small pilots/drivers and craptacular angle-cut articulation of the 1st series, ya know?

It's just like with Hasbro.

Irregardless, that's some news...

Also, BBI had an exclusive figure that NOBODY reported on till the Con was over.  Showing the seemingly biased attitude a lot have towards 21st Century, and against BBI.  Totally crappy that NOBODY said anything about this great little Army figure till today.

It's a 1:18 Army Infantryman in a new camo pattern the U.S. is using?  I'm not personally familiar.  I'll try post images later.

We'll see...  I hope GP's site calms down because LG needs to get a grip, take some pills, and they need to get that site in order.  It has no updates, it has no structure.  There's nothing for 1:18 military collectors beyond that message board anymore.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2004, 10:21 PM »
I noticed that over there Jesse, what a pricko.

That builder set sounds cool, I'm hoping they'll do a US one. Read over the part that this might be a new series. Cool beans. I'm hoping these come out around Christmas or November.

Of course, they could continue that series down the road I would think. Russian, Italian, French, ect. But, that will never happen.

EDIT 2: Can't believe I said "Cool Beans"...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 10:28 PM by Vator »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2004, 05:45 PM »
BBI's F-18 pilot appears to be the FIRST new figure to sport their new articulation.

Minor news, but good.

They'er going to basic hinge elbows.  Thank god, because their angle joints suck bad.

The figures just NOW need more separated legs so they look less awkward when standing, and they'll be damn near perfect.

If they'd bring the ball/socket ankle  to ALL figures, that'd be nice too.  They seem to only think it's worthy on figures with pantlegs over the boots though.  Too bad. :(

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2004, 07:12 PM »
Yeah, they look rather odd standing next to say  a 21st figure or even a Star Wars fig.

I'm looking foward to their generic enemey that they supposedly have coming.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2004, 07:57 PM »
Me too.  I'm intrigued by the possible headsculpts.  I'd dig a female too, considering the fodder in this scale's non-existant.

Could be a neat line-up from BBI, and at least you can count on it shipping someday.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2004, 02:49 AM »
 ;D It's really sad because it's true!

I'm actually hoping that we get a more Oriental/European type bad guy. Cobra, to me, is rather bland in that the uniforms are not meancing at all.

Same with the terrorists, I mean, 'Eastern Warriors'.

I want something that looks like a cross between Soviet and German uniforms for a nice look. Heck, make them look like the Imperials for all I care. Just make them 'cool'.

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 2, 2004, 04:11 PM »
Howdy,
I just got into collecting XDs and was wondering if you guys could tell a good site to find series 1 and 2 figures, every site seems to be sold out.  :-\
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: August 3, 2004, 12:22 AM »
Hmmm

I can't say I'm familiar with old 1st series stuff and where it's available, but...

Small Blue Planet
Bad Cat Toys

Those are the two most named stores I can think of so you may find what yu need there.  I hear they show at TRU too sometimes still.

I think Amazon.com may even have some 1st series infantry figures available.

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 3, 2004, 03:22 AM »
TRU in my area has no 21syC figures whatsoever, unless they sold out, and jediraven(my brother) looked at WM for me and said they didn't have anything either.  :'( Looks like I'll have to use online stores.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: August 3, 2004, 03:53 AM »
Justin never mentioned his brother was into 21st figures...  I work with him at FFURG actually.

21st's contract with TRU is dead at this point and they're marketing figures thrugh E-tailers.  TRU's still sometimes have old stock thugh, but nothing one can **** on.

At GP's site, you may be able to barter with smeone for figures.  I've thought of selling off my 1st series collection since I dn't even have teh room to display them anymore.  Only figures though as they're pretty much all I had and the few vehicles I had I wanted to keep.