Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 361707 times)

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 3, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Justin never mentioned his brother was into 21st figures...  I work with him at FFURG actually.
At GP's site, you may be able to barter with smeone for figures.  I've thought of selling off my 1st series collection since I dn't even have teh room to display them anymore.  Only figures though as they're pretty much all I had and the few vehicles I had I wanted to keep.

Yeah I just started getting into them about a week ago, I'll check GP's, thanks.  :)
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #121 on: August 3, 2004, 04:02 PM »
Cruise the trade area.  It's your best bet I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 3, 2004, 10:46 PM »
Do you happen to know if Patton's command car is rare? Turns out TRU had something but just 2 of those. LOL
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: August 4, 2004, 01:41 AM »
No, it wasn't rare.  It was actually tremendously overpriced at $25.  It sat and sat even long after the deal with TRU fell through.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: August 9, 2004, 04:04 AM »

Proving once again that even knock-off 1:18 scale military toy companies have more sense than Hasbro...

This is a neat little playset that retails for $15, has 4 remvable helmet figures, and I think 150+ pieces total or some such (I have one on the way, I'll pimp it when I get it).

The company's small and does knock-offs.

Imagine this format/concept in Star Wars terms?

Interlocking Hoth sets like Trench pieces, gun towers, or even cave halls and such?

Interlocking Death Star sets?  Maybe even stackable like we've seen in the Diorama section of our site?

Interlocking Bespin Set?

Interlocking Jabba's Palace or Cantina?

Interlocking Theed set?

Interlocking Coruscant set?

If this is what a knock-off company can do, Hasbro can do better still.  I'd love any of the above if Hasbro took this idea and made it quality.  

Oh well.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 9, 2004, 06:50 AM »
That's the ever sparkle playset, isn't it?

I look foward to a review when you get it.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: August 9, 2004, 07:52 PM »
Yup.  I'm hearing good things about the set.  Like accurate sidearms, .50 cal machine guns with tri-pods (hotly needed in this scale), mortars, a bazooka with rockets, etc...

Even has tables I think?

And the figures aren't bad either.  A ntch below PTE in overall articulation (not hard to do considering PTE's figures have like 20 points of articulation each), but they have removable helmets.

I have heard the helmets kinda suck.  We'll see.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 9, 2004, 10:26 PM »
Yeah, the more tripods and mortars the better, befour I started to pack up my rebs for the move, I had started to make a heavy ammo squad. Here's hoping this is good enough to pick up, eh?

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2004, 10:21 PM »
Hey, is $60 a good price for an original Panther tank? I can't seem to even find them for sale, and also is $65 decent for the original Tiger tank?

Thanks
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2004, 12:48 AM »
I couldn't really tell you fair prices.

I tried selling my Panther one time and had no buyers, ya know?  I'd likely sell it for $60 though...  It's a cool tank, but I don't even have it displayed anymore.

The Tiger was REALLY widely available, and there's repaints supposedly coming (WInter one anyway) so I'd hold off on buying that one myself. 

It's a nice tank thugh.

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2004, 02:02 AM »
K, thanks for the help. I'll just wait and snipe the auction.  ;D
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2004, 06:42 AM »
The Panther is the one with the detailed interior, right?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2004, 04:48 PM »

Proving once again that even knock-off 1:18 scale military toy companies have more sense than Hasbro...

This is a neat little playset that retails for $15, has 4 remvable helmet figures, and I think 150+ pieces total or some such (I have one on the way, I'll pimp it when I get it).

The company's small and does knock-offs.

Imagine this format/concept in Star Wars terms?

Interlocking Hoth sets like Trench pieces, gun towers, or even cave halls and such?

Interlocking Death Star sets?  Maybe even stackable like we've seen in the Diorama section of our site?

Interlocking Bespin Set?

Interlocking Jabba's Palace or Cantina?

Interlocking Theed set?

Interlocking Coruscant set?

If this is what a knock-off company can do, Hasbro can do better still.  I'd love any of the above if Hasbro took this idea and made it quality.  

Oh well.

i wouldn't hold my breath for hasbro to make anything like that for the star wars line. it would be awesome if they did, but then it would probably be closer to like $60 for those pieces and 4 figures, not $15.

what we need to have happen is for some small company to come out and make some bootleg stuff like this for star wars. then it would probably be cool, and cheap, and we'd all be happy.

;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2004, 03:10 AM »
Oh Dave, I'd KILL for bootleg Star Wars in the U.S. that was half as nice as stuff like this.  It just is dangerous water for a company to tread.

With militaria, they can copy without trampling on toes, so long as they don't directly copy licensed material, like plane names, vehicle names, historical character names, etc...  Like 21st has the license to reproduce Gen. George Patton, which was rather expensive.  As well as a license to repro Dodge products frm the war.  I guess BBI has the rights to "Humvee" though.

Contrary to popular belief, these little licenses cost TONS to these small toy companies, and have much less/shorter earning potential than Star Wars does to Hasbro.  In the end they're equally expensive, if not more so, but the companies shell out big bucks for them.

Plane names, squadron insignia, and I guess noseart are also all copywritten materials as well.  I learned a lot from my long discussions with some of these companies over the years.  They give you some really good insight into the industry that Hasbro rarely ever shares, and they give it to you from a truly costly perspective due to their size.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2004, 11:31 PM »
Some less than stellar reviews coming in on the "Modern Troops" exclusive SDCC 4-pack.  Not to worry Matt, I'm still happy to get them when they arrive! :)

BTW I'm gonna pay you...  Honest.   :-*  :-\

The whole wave, from what I'm hearing, is underwhelming in sculpt...  Articulation lacking on some.  I can first-hand confirm that the U.S. Spec. Forces guy (Donned in a kind of "Hunting Bin Laden" digs) does NOT have nice leg sculpt, or articulation.  It's like his articulation's too low...  Very strange.

That figure, at least, isn't one of their better sculpts, and from what I can see one of the Afghani guys looks similar.

The Royal Marine and other Afghani I'm hoping for good things on.  We'll see when I get ahold ofo them.

Evilchuk at GP's was giving a little review, and mentioning he has a lot of Eversparkle's interlocking playset.  Wonder what he thinks of those though?  I got one of those n the way too as I've noted.  Should be good news on that at least.

I'm still happy to get at least 2 half-decent looking figures from that modern set, including a freakin' middle-eastern guy.  I mean, if you asked me last year if we'd ever see Iraqi's or Afghani's, or a militant muslim looking guy I'd have said never in a million years.  Now look...  Go figure. :)