Author Topic: New(ish) parents this year...  (Read 2811 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
New(ish) parents this year...
« on: November 30, 2005, 10:59 AM »
If I remember right, we've had at least six new babies born to JDers this year:
Deanpaul, Commander Cuda, Bill Cable, Mikey D and Rebeltrader, as well as myself (our second daughter, on March 3). Not to forget also those I haven't mentioned and those from years past.

We just went to the 2-year and nine-month checkups for our daughters and I was just reminded how quickly time flies when they're young (well, it flies when they're not screaming in the middle of the night). So, just wondering how all the new (or newish) dads (and moms) are doing with your youngin's, and what challenges, surprises, etc. you've all encountered with your kids, how they're doing, and how you all are adjusting.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: New(ish) parents this year...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:12 PM »
He eats too much, ***** too much, grows out of his clothes too fast and slobbers a lot.  Other than that, it's great.

Seriously, it's been the best thing that's happened to me.  Other than the occasional "hiccup", I have no complaints.   
Common sense isn't so common

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 01:02 PM »
He eats too much, ***** too much,  and slobbers a lot.    

Are we talking about your kid, or JediMac?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 10:34 PM »
Wow! I didn't realize so many people had kids this year. Congratulations to you all from a father of two girls, 5 3/4 and 2 1/2. I know what you're going through. ;D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2005, 11:09 AM »
He eats too much, ***** too much, grows out of his clothes too fast and slobbers a lot.  Other than that, it's great.

Seriously, it's been the best thing that's happened to me.  Other than the occasional "hiccup", I have no complaints.   

Sounds like par for the course, Mikey. Same here, too.

Just curious, but what kind of "hiccups" have you run across?

For us, it seemed like the first three months were pretty much all hiccups, since they both had colic during this time, and were both struggling to find their breastfeeding rhythmn. The second one is growing out of her clothes faster than I can change her diaper. Thank goodness our first was a girl, so we can save by just reusing her sister's old clothes (stains and all).

For me, the biggest adjustment has been the relationship with my wife. We're now parents and have additional, much-heavier priorities (the kids), so we interact much differently by being stressed, tired, cranky, disgruntled, underappreciated, insecure, sad, worried, or a combination, pretty much all the time. At first, we'd take it personally. Now, we know not to.  ;)

Yeah, and another adjustment has been cold season extending to 11 of the 12 months. Seems like almost every month one or both of the girls has a cold, and spreads it to us.  :-\ They both have colds, now, so I'm just waiting for it to hit me.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 5, 2005, 11:20 AM »

Just curious, but what kind of "hiccups" have you run across?

I didn't literally mean hiccups, although he gets those occasionally (mainly from the fact that he eats too fast).  I was talking little problems here and there.  For instance, he's had a cough for awhile now.  We've had it checked out, chest x-ray and all, and was told it was nothing to worry about and just let it run it's course.  It's possible that he may have caught it more than once being at daycare all day.  He also accidently scratches himself sometimes.  Little stuff like that.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2005, 11:25 AM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 5, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Well, we will soon be bumping up to 3 ;D  Did not plan on this one, but we both love kids so why not.  Our son who is 4 is in the typical jealous stage right now with his sister.  Not happy at all the attention his sister is receiving.  In other words he is out of control and seems to of taken a step back regarding his behavior and his actions.

The most notable thing that comes to mind is that the second time around it just seems so much easier.  You have a better understanding of the personality, understand that they are not as fragile and when something happens you can respond a lot better.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2005, 11:45 AM »
Congrats, Jim! I hope you at least waited six weeks after the second. ;) When's this one due?

And I agree, the second one is easier, with slightly less worry. However, a different kid brings different problems. I was just hoping we'd just encounter all the same problems we had with our first...and know exactly how to handle it. Yeah, right.

Mikey--Yeah, I knew you didn't mean literal hiccups, though if I had a nickel for every time they get them...

Sorry about the nagging cough. We still worry about every nagging cough our daughters get...and it seems they're all nagging coughs. I guess that's another adjustment...worry.

The scratching thing is also annoying. Our youngest would give herself good ones on the cheek and we'd be afraid to go out in public because someone might think we did it. However, the worst scratch was one I got...on my cornea. Those little hands, combined with long, sharp nails and a wickedly fast reaction, got me right in the eye. Hurt like a mother-, and I had blurred vision for two days. I've gone to either wearing glasses around them or keeping my face at arm's (theirs) length.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 5, 2005, 12:28 PM »
Congrats, Jim! I hope you at least waited six weeks after the second. ;) When's this one due?

Yeah, we waited all of that.  I wasnt going to come out and say it this early but she took the test last night.  She has an appointment with her OBGyn next week I believe.  Neither one of us saw that one coming(no pun intended).

Hopefully I can find some work soon, since I am layed off currently.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 5, 2005, 10:21 PM »
Congrats Jim!  3, eh?  Very cool.  We're still thinking about having #2.  We'll let fate decide.  ;)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 07:29 AM »
Congratulations Jim!  Now you get to switch from a man-on-man defense to a Zone defense! 

We had our baby girl 5 weeks early October before last -- so I don't quite qualify as having one this year. ;)  The biggest challange is trying to find the balance between the two kids.  The now 4 year old was great when it came time to nurse and attend to her other needs while she was little.  Now that she's a year old and into his stuff he has no patience for her.  Its a challange trying to keep the baby out of his "stuff" (which he is very particular about) and to keep him from pummeling the baby when she touches the wrong thing.  But then there are plenty of moments that make it worthwhile.  Seeing him be affectionate and protective of her is so sweet.  When she's crying he runs over and sweet talks her and settles her down. 

It is much easier with the second -- you have more confidence and your worry a lot less.  With your first everyone hands out advice -- but I think parents have to learn the stuff for themselves.  When the 2nd rolls around you tend to put more of that advice into practice!

Jesse -- go for it!  Give your little girl a baby brother or sister to play with and pummel ;D
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 01:02 PM »
Had mine long ago, it was easy and went by too fast. After the first month the babies slept through the whole night from then on. My success? Put some rum in the bottle at night and slap' em really hard before you put them to bed...works every time-

Will be going to get "altered" soon to prevent an accidental 9 years later baby since my wifey is shriveling up and I don't believe she's gone a have another one. Besides Got 'Er Done and got the split so I'm good. May adopt in a couple years.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 01:14 PM »
Yep, the man-to-man vs. zone defense is the precise reason we're done at two! :)

And I'd also agree that it all goes by too fast. I already miss the little baby stage when you can just put 'em in one place and they stayed there. Now our nine-month old won't stay anywhere...except in her crib, though I fear she's going to be one of those death-defying crib climbers that like to escape. ;)

Having two is so precious. Our two-year old likes to imitate mommy so much. She nurses her bear and is practically our youngest's "second mommy." In fact, she'll try to mommy just about any baby she sees. She's kissed so many babies, sometimes you'd swear she was running for office.  ;D

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 01:00 AM »
Since he's too good to give an update, I'll just chime in as Deanpaul's quasi-adopted bastard stepchild and inform you all that Deanpaul is, in fact, the worst dad ever, and that's all anyone need know about him.
"Really?  Sorry."