Author Topic: D_N's Customs- Updated December 1st?!!!?!  (Read 127243 times)

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Darth Nirvana's Customs- Update 6/9
« Reply #405 on: June 9, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Well, I was working on an Imperial that I thought would take me til Saturday, but I ended up prettymuch finishing it this morning. I realize once I took pics that I missed a spot on the hair, I'll have to go back and fix it.

Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, the Empire began invovled in a series of large-scale battles in backwater planets that targeted Rebel outposts and listening posts. Supposed to be just a sweep-in-and-out skirmish, the Rebels usually ended up knowing they were on their way and bringing up a battallion to support the Rebel troops. One such battle was the Battle of Dantooine, in the upper poles of the planet in the swampy grasslands.

Soon after the battle escalated, it evolved into a bloody stalemate between 2 miles of open no-man's land, where blaster fire and artillery shells slagged the merciless terrain. Thus, the Empire found themselves dug in in a system of fortified trenches, where they stayed for almost a full month, until an Imperial Star Destroyer showed up and decimated the Rebel fleet.

The Empire's frontline troops wore a green-gray jumpsuit with armor on their forearms and shins, a shrapnel-protected tactical vest, as well as a utility belt with a carry-all pouch, a canteen, and a trench shovel.

Well, I hope you like him. LMK what you think. Thanks for looking.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: D_N's Customs- Update Fri. 6/9
« Reply #406 on: June 9, 2006, 03:00 PM »
The Commando helmet looks great on the commander. The paint job looks really good too. I have to agree with the others this is probably your best yet.

I like the articulation on the figure above. The acessories work too, for a last resort skirmish type trooper.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 9, 2006, 03:51 PM »
I fixed the hair missing, added a bit more dirt to the boots, and replaced the beard with 5 oclock shadow...I think he looks a little less like Han.

For what it's worth,  also found another alternate headsculpt...not sure I like it, though.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #408 on: June 9, 2006, 08:25 PM »
Hmmmmm, just my opinion here, but I think the Luke head just doesn't seem like the right size, and I'm pretty sure I liked him better w/ the beard. The Han w/ the 5 o'clock shadow looks more like Han to my eyes...  :P But that's just me :)

The rest of the figure looks great - LOVE the combo of stormie parts & the vest!

I also really like what you did with the commando's visor! I keep on diggin' the grey/green & brown motif you have here. It's so wonderfully subtle, and yet striking at the same time. And, like I said before, the brown adds just the right amount (& type) of color to your work!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 9, 2006, 10:03 PM »
I really like your combo of parts DN... to be honest the head for Solo and Luke just seem too... "Solo and Luke" to me.  Maybe some head in the BBI line might be a bit less recognizeable?  I'd also go lighter on the dirtying up of the faces, it's in their eyes some, and I think that is just a bit too extreme.  The rest of the figure though, I love the weathering along with the parts used.

:)

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2006, 09:35 AM »
I switched his head to the SAGA2 Jango head...with a beard he looks a little less like Jango and a little Russian actually.

Vuron Aros enlisted in the Imperial Academy at the young age of 19. He quickly moved through the training program and vastly excelled in marksmanship and wilderness survival. When he graduated, he was placed in the 56th Pathfinder Battallion, a legion of the Empire which excelled in reconnoissance, covert infiltration, and, of course, long-range combat. Quiet, strong, and reserved, Master Sargeant Aros was one of the Empire's best snipers.

Head- SAGA2 Jango
Torso, Upper Arms, Vest- VTSC Endor Han
Lower Arms, Lower Legs- Evo Sandtrooper
Hands- ROTS Clone
Upper Legs- ATAT Driver
All pouches- XD Imperial Marine
Gun- Marauder Inc SiG550

I was going for a WW2 Russian Army look with the cloth around the gun, as well as the pouches.

I hope you like him. LMK what you think, all comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: D_N's Customs- Updated Saturday 6/10/06
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Great work DN... you just made a very good custom great!  Excellent head choice, that rocks.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
Re: D_N's Customs- Updated Saturday 6/10/06
« Reply #412 on: June 10, 2006, 10:51 AM »
ooooo! Great head choice, love the gun-wrap... Too cool D_N!

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: D_N's Customs- Updated TWICE Saturday 6/10/06
« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I took another look at my Dark Sora Bulq and toned down the snow weathering alot...also, switched out the cloth, did a couple paint touch-ups, and tried to get a more dark look to Sora's face.

I added some more little things to Sgt. Aros...strapped a removable survival knife to his left boot and added a pouch on his backside to conceal the belt coming together....added a streak of gray to his head, but it's not very noticeable.

Close-ups of Knife

Back Shot

Just to show the knife's removable:

Well, I hope you like them. LMK what you think. Thanks for looking.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: D_N's Customs- Updated TWICE Saturday 6/10/06
« Reply #414 on: June 10, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Once again, these are very cool!

Sora Bulq: I think this one is awesome! The one and only critical comment I can make is that I think the eyes are to dark. It almost seems that he doesn't even have eyes at all. Maybe you should paint them on or somethin' like that.

Sergeant Aros: I love the new gun! It's just so unique! And the figure is amazing, too 8)
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: D_N's Customs- Big Update Sat. 6/10/06
« Reply #415 on: June 10, 2006, 10:04 PM »
Soldiers in the 59th Pathfinder usually found themselves with a partner- most were able to choose who they were to be put together with, and they were told to pick someone you could spend all you time with.

Gunnery Sargeant Aros picked Drox Precore, his childhood friend who was always there for him through twelve years of the Corellian Academy, as well as enlisted with him in the Academy.

Tall, muscular, with craggy features, Precore is unusally quiet, observant, and has a knack for sniping without a scope.

Much to the Empire's disapproval, Precore always has on his father's overcoat, who served and was killed in the Stark Hyperspace Wars.

Back Shot

Precore/Aros

Head, Overcoat- Endor Han
Torso, Upper Arms- Evo Ani
Lower Arms, hands- RotS Clone Commander
Upper Legs- ATAT Driver
Lower Legs- VTSC Biker Scout
Pack- BBi Marine

For my fourth updated of the day,
I was looking at Capt. Ratay when I realized that he had no straps to his backpack.

Stylized Shot

Well, I hope you like them. LMK what you think, all comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:06 PM by Darth Nirvana »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: D_N's Customs- Big Update Sat. 6/10/06- PIC HEAVY
« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2006, 11:29 AM »
Nice update DN.  This guy, I can totally see him in the Alps in WW2 or something.  He's my favorite of the bunch.

I thikn on this guy, there might be some paint chipping on his shoulders -

Just wondering if you use any paint sealer of any kind... you might want to try painting in thinner layers... let it dry, add another layer on, then do a dry brush, and finally a wash.  After it is completely dry, 2-3 coats of matte acrylic sealer spray from Walmart seems to do the trick... That technique at least seems to work for me.

Good update DN!

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2006, 12:00 PM »
I too like the WWII look of Precore and Aros a lot.  They do look sort of Russian somehow -- especially Precore -- I think it's that hat!  :)  Painting, outfits, and gear are all A1.

Very nice vest on Sora Bulq, too.  It really makes the figure.

What did you use for Sora's belt and for Ratay's backpack straps?  It looks almost like electrical tape, but I doubt it is somehow.  Is it glued on, or sewn on?

Keep up the great work, as always!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 11, 2006, 12:10 PM »
The straps for Sora and Ratay are just strips of styrene- 3 bucks for 32 strips at your local hobby store. I don't usually sew anything- I tried a robe from FFURG but my sewing skills are nil.

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 11, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Great job on the Dark Jedi Sora Bulq Nice use of soft good.

You latest Imp/Republic Custom Troopers are visually very interesting, but they seem to be more of a Reffugee force. They remind me of some sort of lost Brigade, that has been forgotten and left to fend for themselves, without Supplies or rienforcements. Forgive me for not being familiar with their back story, but can you give me a little catch-up.

Keep up the great Work.

fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg