Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 409012 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #1110 on: December 24, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Though my Summer of Vintage ended, the Fall brought its own surprises and acquisitions. So as everyone prepares to receive Vintage for the Holidays, I'd thought I share my latest pickups to get everyone in the mood...

This past October was the annual Kane County Toy Show here in Illinois. It was my first time at the show and besides selling some items, I made some big scores...

This was the starting point, a number of miscellaneous items including a minty Snaggletooth all for next to nothing.

Walking through the various sections of the show, I found a number of quality looking pieces and in the end after some wheelin' & dealin' they were had for a very good price. Of note, the Cantina Adventure set while missing the figures still includes the original inserts and baggies! The X-Wing is supremely pure white, it will make for a great displayed piece someday. All of the cardboard parts from these sets are in near perfect shape, I was really thrilled with all of these scores.

One of the things I need to do as part of my vintage collecting hobby is to go back and pick up boxes for loose vehicles/playsets I've bought over the years. One of those items was a Landspeeder I picked up at The Earth in Cincy about a decade ago. Well recently I was able to get the box off of eBay to finally complete this item.

Earlier this year I got my holy grail, the Imperial Shuttle. After that, the next big thing to get was a Sandcrawler and surprisingly eBay was the place to be again! This is a complete and working set and in great shape, it was also the most I've ever paid for any single vintage piece. So anything else I buy from here on out will be gravy, haha. Next to the Shuttle this is now a key display piece in my collection.

And finally, a set of books my buddy gave me recently. The comic book is in black & white, while the Star Wars novel is an 8th edition print.

So that ends my year for vintage collecting, it was a helluva year. Hopefully 2012 will bring as much excitement for all of you as 2011 did for me.

Cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 9, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Nothing amazing here but I picked up a loose c9 gray hair Ben Kenobi. His lightsaber was original with the tip. This replaces my gray Kenobi without cape or saber.  Now if I can find a brown hair Luke for a decent price.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 9, 2012, 11:37 PM »

You made some fantastic additions to your collection Jason, congrats!  Someday I hope to add the mail away display to my collection, yours looks to be in amazing condition.

Some of you may have seen this elsewhere on the web last week, but I am now the proud owner of a fantastic piece and a real treasure, really.  This is a 1978 12 back shelf display that is complete and virtually intact.  There is some minor wear, but considering its age and condition, it's hardly distracting.  The best part - maybe - was that it came with 6 original 12 backs, all of them the 'A' version.  One of them is an UNPUNCHED R2-D2. 

This is the centerpiece of my collection now to say the least.  I had the Jawa from before, so now I have 7 of the 12... guess I have a new goal now. 

I can't believe that I didn't comment on this kickass acquisition Darby!  That's an amazing certerpiece for sure.  Congrats!

Nothing amazing here but I picked up a loose c9 gray hair Ben Kenobi. His lightsaber was original with the tip. This replaces my gray Kenobi without cape or saber.  Now if I can find a brown hair Luke for a decent price.

Are you working on the major variants? 

I'm not a variant collector myself, but I'm ONE figure away from completing my loose collection, the pop-up lightsaber R2 from the POTF line. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I'm working on the major variants. There are at least 3 I am planning to knock out this year with a little luck - Orange Hair Luke, Double Telescoping Luke, and Vinyl Cape Jawa. Those will probably do it for my active collecting...I don't see being able to afford a true rocket firing Fett prototype or DT Vader or Kenobi, probably ever.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 10, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Since is there nothing new to collect this year and the prices are too high anyway, I want to work on vintage major variants instead. I didn't know until unpacking my vintage figures that there were two hair colors for Ben Kenobi and I had both! Hopefully I can beat McMetal to the punch and grab a Orange hair Luke and find some of those missing accessories.

I still want those missing custom prototype Ewoks figures.

By the way, what do you think a casting of Droid's Gaff would go for?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 17, 2012, 08:38 AM »
I've been wanting to finish off my loose collection for years, but the cost of the POTF figures has always held me back.  I bought a couple figures last year, then someone offered me nearly every figure I needed and I just couldn't say no.  It was certainly more than I planned to spend at once, but the seller was willing to break it up into payments over 3 months.  The Blue Snags I purchased recently was actually part of this lot, I've just finally gotten off my ass to post pics of them all here!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 17, 2012, 09:57 AM »
I still want those missing custom prototype Ewoks figures.

By the way, what do you think a casting of Droid's Gaff would go for?

I have seen a few Gaffs pop up over the past year, but none of them appear to have been cast from the original molds. They look pretty half-assed to me. Most are less than $30.

I've never seen an actual Ewoks/Droids prototype come up for auction, other than the coins.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1117 on: January 17, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Very nice Jesse.  There's nothing better than finally putting together those last pieces!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 26, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Picked up a really nice condition vintage Obi Wan on a repo 12 back card. Not the most exciting score, but I don't have any real 12 backs so that sold me.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 27, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Picked up a really nice condition vintage Obi Wan on a repo 12 back card. Not the most exciting score, but I don't have any real 12 backs so that sold me.

Where at?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #1120 on: February 27, 2012, 11:05 PM »
Jesse, that's a great group of figures you picked up there. All are quality pieces, congrats on pulling all of those together.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Where at?

Cedar Cliff Collectibles in Eagan. Fun store to visit every once in a while.

Speaking of which, went back and grabbed the ESB original figs in really nice shape on repo ESB cards of R2 w/ sensorscope, Leia Hoth, and Luke Bespin. Didn't have them so I caved. Works really well as a way for me and my OCD to keep my "official collection" being stuff in the package and yet adding vintage stuff without it being expensive. (Don't ask me how my OCD justifies things.)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 4, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Picked up one of the final remaining DROIDS carded figures I needed tonight, the surprisingly uncommon A-Wing Pilot. Really psyched to scratch this off The List, only leaves me with a carded DROIDS Boba Fett to complete the collection, and that pesky Vlix guy.  ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1123 on: March 8, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Not exactly vintage (or is it now?) but I picked this piece up this week:

I've always wanted the Trophy Obi-Wan since I first saw him.  I don't know why really.  I just really liked Obi in TPM and this is a neat figure (I also really liked the Trophy Maul). 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1124 on: March 9, 2012, 03:21 AM »
Wow.   8)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk