Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 409087 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #1350 on: August 12, 2013, 11:33 PM »
Great stuff, that Jawa focus is looking fantastic!  Is that a Regal Jawa in the corner?  Awesome.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1351 on: August 13, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Sure is.  ;D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 16, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I bought a loose vintage jawa sans cape and gun for $5 and a somewhat busted up imperial troop transport for $5.75 at a local secondhand toy store here at the beach. The troop transport had a perfect top gun assembly so I plan to swap this out for tag broken one I have now. Also came with a couple of those doodads that fit over the characters heads. Not sure i had the full complement of those. (Should be 4?)

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #1353 on: August 17, 2013, 12:11 PM »
JMan - congrats on picking up the Droids duo, they're such a pain to find and for you to get them at the same time is quite a feat. kudos!

Darby - you had a great haul at Chicago Comic-Con - the Sandcrawler and TIE Bomber look awesome. And what a catch at Quake, I haven't been to the Chicago store in about 6 months (a 2nd store has opened in Schaumburg just a few miles from me) and damn do I now regret it, haha. But good to know that a Droids R2 went to someone from these boards.

Oh and that Toltoys Death Star you saw at Comic-Con, I think I know where that went off to...  ;)

Here's my haul form Comic-Con weekend - I went Friday and Sunday. Once I saw the Toltoys Death Star on Friday I knew it had to be mine. I've never seen a complete set in person, whether it be Palitoy, Kenner Canada, or Toltoys, so after thinking about it for 2-3 seconds I took the plunge. The vendor who was selling it was very helpful and patient as we opened up the box and looked at each piece in painstaking detail. I even got it for less than what he was asking for.

In the end, the playset itself is in amazing shape - the canopy is yellowed and has a crack, but a repro canopy for display purposes should do the trick. The box is pretty beat up, but putting in some foam blocks to give it shape has helped. Here's a pic of the fully assembled set (canopy not pictured)...

This has been a busy month for my vintage collecting. I also picked up a Sise Fromm off of eBay as well as a number of other items from RS which I should be receiving next week. The lull in the modern line has led to quite the jump in out of pocket vintage costs. But it's all worth it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:12 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1354 on: August 18, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Wow, that's great that you got it! It is truly an amazing piece. If I hadn't already found the TIE Bomber and Sandcrawler I definitely would have jumped at it. But I had a great haul and it's great to see it went to someone here at JD!

Took a day trip down to Des Moines yesterday, and stopped into Jays CD and Hobby, which if you're in Iowa, you should check out. After looking around and not seeing too much (usually score big here) I asked if they had anything else. Lo and behold they bring out this piece of treasure:

It's complete in the box with an unused sticket sheet. I know the instant I saw it I couldn't leave without it. I was afraid though it would be severely expensive. This is a piece I never expected to see let alone own. Turns out they wanted $300 for it, and I was able to walk away with it for $275. AMAZING find and the cap on a great month for SW collecting!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 18, 2013, 11:20 PM »
WOW.  Some pretty incredible finds there gentlemen.  That Death Star looks fantastic.  I bought one a while ago, but haven't taken the time to put it together yet.  Yours looks like a fantastic piece! 

Totally jealous of that Skiff find as well Darby!  That's the last ship I need for my collection - pretty amazing that you found one at a second hand store with the box!  I think I would literally piss my pants.  Great box and a seriously hard to find ship as well.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 20, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Picked up a Dianoga to throw in my Death Star box with the other random bits of the playset I actually own.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35 PM »
That Death Star is fantastic, I dream of having a Kenner Canada one some day. 

I'm proud to present the Rodney Dangerfield of Star Wars figures, General Madine. :D  This one is Canadian, like all my carded figures.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1358 on: August 22, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Very cool Jesse. I find the Canadian Kenner stuff so interesting. So I thought I was done buying for a long while then I happened upon these two excellent gems for $40 total and well, you know the rest:

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16 PM »
$40!  What an amazing find!  That packaging looks to be in fantastic shape,

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1360 on: August 22, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Excellent shape. A little wear but pretty much the best boxes I've seen yet. And the ships are tucked inside with their cardboard inserts and have pretty much never been touched. Great find. But I need an intervention.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 23, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Excellent shape. A little wear but pretty much the best boxes I've seen yet. And the ships are tucked inside with their cardboard inserts and have pretty much never been touched. Great find. But I need an intervention.

We will hold one for you this weekend

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 24, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Picked up a "Generation 2 or 3" Polish Leia figure from a local guy on Craigslist yesterday.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 26, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Only vintage figure find all summer, a worn Hoth Luke for around 25 cents.

Saw a Star Destroyer playset for $20, missing the escape hatch....not sure the electronics. Stickers were so-so. It was sort of tempting. The guys selling it were like reseller/scalper types, whose seemed to be stuck with mostly 90's stuff that they refuse to liquidate at prices that any knowledgable collectors would be willing to pay. They set up a few times every year apparently. You can tell someone isn't really interested in selling stuff when their used mass market books are overpriced. That's the type of stuff that other people leave by the curb when their sale is over.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:08 PM by Scockery »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 26, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Picked up a "Generation 2 or 3" Polish Leia figure from a local guy on Craigslist yesterday.

Cool.  What do you think of it?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today