Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 410641 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #780 on: October 25, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Nice score, Darb! What are you going to do now that the vintage collection is done?  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #781 on: October 26, 2009, 12:53 AM »
I'm going to Disney World!

But really, I have some other major vintage stuff I want (Jabba, Sandcrawler, Vinyl Cape Jawa) to go before I'm done.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 26, 2009, 05:09 PM »
How 'bout all them variants Darb? You know you need 'em!  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 27, 2009, 11:18 PM »
One more down...Blue Apron Ugnaught.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12 PM »
I'm kicking myself for paying too much, but I finally picked up Brown Snake Yoda. Green snake isn't likely to come cheap either.

I'm pleased to at least be making a dent in the Vintage List. I think I'm down to 10 POTF figures, 1 replacement Luke, and about a dozen or so variants. (That variant total shifts though, as I continue to stumble across worthy additions)

Looking forward to rounding out the vehicles and playsets next.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 30, 2009, 01:11 AM »
What did you end up paying for the Brown Snake version?  I have the darker green Yoda complete with all but his brown snake and haven't been able to bring myself to spend big when all I'm missing is the accessory. 

And is there truly a green snake version?  I thought this was a dismissed variant.  Here's the comment from RS on the subject:

"There is much talk of a Yoda being released with a green snake, but research and common opinion show this to be a case of plastic degradation and not a true variation, just like the green limbed Chewbacca."
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I paid $25 with shipping for the Brown snake Yoda variant. (The cane is a different color too as is his skin tone, and maybe something different about the eyes, not sure because he is not in hand yet) I generally don't like to pay that much for the more standard variants, but some you just don't see that much and this was a nice copy.

Yeah, the green snake variant may be subject to some conjecture, just like Blue Smock Ugnaught (Which I personally believe is a legitimate variant, not a color degradation). I guess it depends on your own point of view.

There are definitely some eBay autions out there for the Green Snake version, and the photos I have seen look legitimate, but who knows?

Variants are a slippery business, it's really difficult to gauge the legitimacy of a lot of these things because there are just so many out there but not a lot of corroborating evidence.

So how much is too much for a minty loose Sand Skimmer?  ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 30, 2009, 11:31 AM »
That's not a bad price for the Yoda.  I've not looked in a while, but when I was actively searching they were going to $25 before shipping.  The cane is a darker color and the paint on the eyes is different along with the skin tone.  I don't see any difference in the belt or cloak with mine. 

As for variants, I'm no expert, but if the "experts" agree it is plastic degradation, then that's where I net out on it as well.  The Ugnaught was released with a blue smock (common) and the purple one is much harder to come by from what I understand.  I have these two and it is a huge difference in color.  Fabric is also unlikely to "degrade" into another color the way that plastic does.   ;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 30, 2009, 11:42 AM »
Thanks, I am in total agreement with you on the Ugnaught. I actually had the purple version from back in the day, so I look forward to comparing side by side.

Offline ironman1972

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 2, 2009, 04:12 AM »
Hi I'm a newb to the site, just wondered if anyone could help me out with some info? I have a set of Star Wars lead miniatures, manufactured by Grenadier Models for West End Games. It's set number 40302, Imperial Forces and the pieces are stamped 1987. Can anyone give me an idea of how desirable and how valuable they are, been gathering dust up in the loft since I was a kid. They're unpainted by the way, thanks :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 2, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Star Wars Miniatures
Collector's Guide to Grenadier Boxed Sets

40302 -- Imperial Forces (1988; 10 figures)
Darth Vader (lightsaber up), Moff Tarkin, 3x Stormtroopers (1 w/ long rifle), TIE Fighter Pilot, Imperial Droid (from Death Star), Death Star Gunner, Death Star Officer (Navy officer w/ cap), Death Star Trooper (Navy trooper)

Star Wars Imperial Forces miniatures box set (1988) 40302 $35.00

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 2, 2009, 10:39 AM »
One more down...Blue Apron Ugnaught.

This is killing me.  >:(

I finally got the Ble Apron Ugnaught, opened it, and what do I find but the purple apron version. Looks nothing like the pic on the auction.

So of course I write the seller to complain and he says "no, that IS the blue apron version. The purple variant is an even darker shade of purple". WTF?!?!

Are people just color-blind or can they really not tell the difference between blue and purple? I feel like I got totally hosed, and am trying to figure out how to get my money back now.

I've been on eBay over 10 years and the worst experiences I have had by far are with people dealing vintage SW merchandise. There is just something inherently shady about the whole enterprise.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 2, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Hmmn...I think your view of purple maybe different from others.  The standard "blue" is really more of a Vikings purple on mine, but the purple version I have is a much more obvious skittles-purple if you will.  Here's a comparison pic of how mine look - I have found the purple on the left to be much harder to find.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 2, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Thanks dude, I can't see those pics at work but will inspect closely tonight to compare.

I actually have one from my youth, and the one I just got appears identical, so I'm hoping there is some kind of noticeable difference with the "Skittles' Variant.

The photo on the auction though, looked much bluer than what I got though. That is the main reason I am frustrated. Maybe it is just a really subtle difference though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 2, 2009, 04:05 PM »
I share your pain McMetal.  I had the same issue trying to obtain the blue smock Ugnaught, including a seller insisting it was indeed blue and my monitor had shown the color incorrectly. 

I also had a seller send me a regular biker scout instead of the short mouth version and subsequently relisted the one I bid on.  So yes, vintage SW sellers can be a pain.  Mind you so can the buyers.  I listed a lot when I was actively working on my loose collection, selling spares/duplicates.  I'm very careful to list that some items had repro weapons because I felt it fair.  Then I got a negative from a buyer who was disappointed because some of the weapons were repros.  Well duh, that's what the auction said.  Thankfully it was plain as day and ebay got rid of the feedback.  I'm happy to not be buying as much; less grief. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.