Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 409033 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #1095 on: November 5, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Great pickups Jesse, that case looks brilliant. With picking up the carded figures in the way you have, have you had any concerns with eventual degradation of the card or bubble? I've had opportunities to pickup some carded figures but passed cause I'm not too sure if I want to go down that path knowing what could possibly happen to the card/bubble.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1096 on: November 12, 2011, 12:34 PM »
My first vintage purchase in a long time, actually in better condition than the piture suggests and the first one i have actually seen so either way i am happy.  Fuji (Takara 8 in scale) R2-D2.  Now I just need C-3PO, Vader, and the Stormtrooper  ::)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:36 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 13, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Great pickups Jesse, that case looks brilliant. With picking up the carded figures in the way you have, have you had any concerns with eventual degradation of the card or bubble? I've had opportunities to pickup some carded figures but passed cause I'm not too sure if I want to go down that path knowing what could possibly happen to the card/bubble.

Sorry, I missed your question earlier!  Sure, there's a chance that the bubbles could yellow, but I'm really not a finicky collector when it comes to condition of these.  I've been lucky and found a few that are in fantastic shape, but that was just luck of the draw really.  It's more about just finding them, even if they're beaten up.  It adds to the charm and history of the figure to me.  8)

My first vintage purchase in a long time, actually in better condition than the piture suggests and the first one i have actually seen so either way i am happy.  Fuji (Takara 8 in scale) R2-D2.  Now I just need C-3PO, Vader, and the Stormtrooper  ::)

Nice find, those Takara figures are very neat.  Good luck with your hunt!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1098 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Thanks, I never intended to pick them all up, originally only wanted Chewbacca. Now that I have 2, why not go for them all  :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1099 on: November 18, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Some of you may have seen this elsewhere on the web last week, but I am now the proud owner of a fantastic piece and a real treasure, really.  This is a 1978 12 back shelf display that is complete and virtually intact.  There is some minor wear, but considering its age and condition, it's hardly distracting.  The best part - maybe - was that it came with 6 original 12 backs, all of them the 'A' version.  One of them is an UNPUNCHED R2-D2. 

This is the centerpiece of my collection now to say the least.  I had the Jawa from before, so now I have 7 of the 12... guess I have a new goal now. 

Let's play store!

R2:

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #1100 on: November 19, 2011, 02:11 AM »

CDN Lumat 77-back, Made in Mexico -- One of 2 figures on Canadian cards that can be found with the "Made in Mexico" label.

Were did you get info on these figures? I have the other Ewok like this.

He's no good to me open

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1101 on: November 19, 2011, 03:46 AM »
Some of you may have seen this elsewhere on the web last week, but I am now the proud owner of a fantastic piece and a real treasure, really.  This is a 1978 12 back shelf display that is complete and virtually intact.  There is some minor wear, but considering its age and condition, it's hardly distracting.  The best part - maybe - was that it came with 6 original 12 backs, all of them the 'A' version.  One of them is an UNPUNCHED R2-D2. 

This is the centerpiece of my collection now to say the least.  I had the Jawa from before, so now I have 7 of the 12... guess I have a new goal now. 

Let's play store!

R2:

EPIC.

That is all.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1102 on: November 23, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Very awesome on the display!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Let's play store!

R2:

This is incredible! This really takes me back to my first two Star Wars figures I've ever bought. I saw this exact display at Thriftys. My dad and I came in for ice cream cones after buying the Christmas tree in the lot outside.

On one of the endcaps, this display was sitting with two figures left on it. They had Luke and R2.  I grabbed both!

That was the first time I've ever seen Star Wars figures.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1104 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Thanks.   :)

I remember this also, vaguely as I was pretty young at the time, but these were featured at local grocery stores and Ben Franklin's at the time.  This is like a holy grail for me, so I am pretty happy.

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #1105 on: December 3, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Man Darby, you are lucky I don't have my "real" job I would of sent in an offer on this in a heart beat. This is one of the best auctions I've seen in awhile, well at least it went home with some one on this site. Now I can tell my friends that I know the person who got it.Very cool in deed. 8)
He's no good to me open

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #1106 on: December 3, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Darby, that's an amazing score. Congratulations on such a wonderful looking display piece - now you have to get the rest of the figures to fill it up properly.  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1107 on: December 7, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Exactly!  It will be a challenge and a joy to fill up.

Thanks guys!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 7, 2011, 09:50 PM »
A little pre-holiday present for myself...picked up a carded DROIDS C-3PO tonight to further enhance the vintage collection. It's a nice piece too, unpunched and all. Cost a pretty penny but not at all out of line for this sort of item.

Now it's down to a carded A-Wing Pilot and a carded Boba to round out the DROIDS collection. CHA-CHING!

(Oh, and that VLIX guy ;)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline morrison2951

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50 AM »

My concerns exactly- I guess that I'm just alittle too OCD to collect carded vintage as there really are lots of issues with the cards and bubbles, so I recently traded about a dozen of my worst condition carded vintage ROTJ and POTF, mostly C-6 or less, consisting of loose bubbles, cracked bubbles, yellow and dark bubbles, creased cards, etc, as to me they were essentially just mint loose figures for the purpose of sale/trade, and turned them into a mint conditon chronometer watch complete with its wooden box and COSC certificate! 

Swiss watches are another collecting vice for me!  ;D   

I do still have 7 slightly better condition vintage carded figures in the collection, rannging from SW to POTF, but of course none are what I would consider as C-9 or above, which was my POTF2 collecting passion for all those years.