Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 409067 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #1155 on: May 11, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Are there any reputable web sites other than Brians Toys that sell carded Kenner stuff?

Yeah, Ebay and Rebelscum.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 13, 2012, 11:38 AM »
That's a choice?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 13, 2012, 12:55 PM »
That's a choice?

I've done pretty well with ebay.  Go check out the most recent posts under collections.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Of the 3, I would recommend eBay.

You are NEVER going to find any kind of deal at Brian's Toys.

'Scum has some good deals from time to time but you really have to know the community over there.

eBay is your classic risk/reward proposition. If you're smart and careful, you can really come out ahead in the long run.

Just my 2 cents~
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 13, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Of the 3, I would recommend eBay.

You are NEVER going to find any kind of deal at Brian's Toys.

'Scum has some good deals from time to time but you really have to know the community over there.

eBay is your classic risk/reward proposition. If you're smart and careful, you can really come out ahead in the long run.

Just my 2 cents~

That's been my experience as well. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 14, 2012, 11:15 AM »
I appreciate everyone's two cents. For reasons I won't get into I'm really just looking for something like Brians Toys (I know they are a rip off) where I can just see a figure at some set price, enter my cc number into a secure link and have it shortly thereafter. So it's not looking good for my wants.

Thanks again.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 14, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Nick, I have been seeing coupons for free shipping from Brian's Toys for purchases over $60 (coupon code: google). 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 14, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Nick, I have been seeing coupons for free shipping from Brian's Toys for purchases over $60 (coupon code: google).

Thanks
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 14, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I appreciate everyone's two cents. For reasons I won't get into I'm really just looking for something like Brians Toys (I know they are a rip off) where I can just see a figure at some set price, enter my cc number into a secure link and have it shortly thereafter. So it's not looking good for my wants.

Thanks again.

If I can ever get around to going through my dupes, I might end up being a pretty good source.  I spent a few minutes digging out a box pre-ebay purchase the other day and found that I have even more dupes than I thought. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Picked up an Ewoks carded Urgah Lady Ganeesh.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 17, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Details man!  From where and for how much?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04 AM »
Details man!  From where and for how much?

Brian's Toys. I paid $50. Based off of Ebay "buy it now" pricing, not that they are necessarily selling for those prices, but oh well, I felt it was an ok price and I wanted to add at least one carded "Ewoks" fig to the collection since I added my first carded "Droids" a couple weeks back. I was quite happy with the shape of the thing. Yellowing bubble, small crease in right upper corner and small ding in lower right corner, but otherwise really nice card.

I was worried my online purchase could start a bad trend since I never order stuff online, but the wife was home when UPS showed up so that probably won't be happening again.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 17, 2012, 11:47 AM »
I was worried my online purchase could start a bad trend since I never order stuff online, but the wife was home when UPS showed up so that probably won't be happening again.

Ouch.  Congrats, I think.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 17, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Nice work. EWOKS is a pretty easy collecting niche to fill...you've only got 6 figures to get and they are not all that hard to come by. I recall Logray and Wicket being the priciest of the bunch, but even those are easily found under $100 if you are patient. (Talking carded here, sure they would be much cheaper loose)

DROIDS is a little bit more of a headache. Those can get expensive. I'm down to just Boba Fett to complete my collection, but I know that is at least a $600-800 commitment if you can even find a legitimate one. LOTS of fakes out there...ugh.

My dream is to one day own at least one of the unproduced prototypes from either line - not a custom, not a knock-off, an actual prototype from back in the day. I realize this will probably never happen because you need to have networking connections with other collectors in this hobby to get a crack at something like that which I lack. But it would sure be swell.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29 AM »
I've added a few neat items over the last couple months:

Here's a few vintage items I'd like to show:

Kenner Darth Vader - this is rather unique because it is a 77back on a US card but it has a CANADIAN Consumers Distributing sticker.  They must have imported some US figures when Kenner Canada couldn't supply enough.  That store was a huge source of figures for me when I was a kid! 

12" Lili Ledy (Mexican) Darth Vader - missing shirt & decal and saber -- A pretty exciting addition to my Vader focus.

Kenner 12"-scale Jawa -- I now have 3 Kenner 12" figures, Vader, Fett and the Jawa, this could be starting something...

Canadian Kenner cardbacks -- Cardbacks are such a neat way to collect without spending the big bucks on MOCs.