Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 71485 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #510 on: June 9, 2005, 12:42 AM »
Not sure if it's being reported down south, but apparently a couple of rather major sponsors have told the NHL that they have until July 15th to get a deal done or they are gone for good (which probably means a year or two).  Molson is one, not sure who the other is. 

As for this deal, I'm surprised (and maybe a little pleased) to see the NHL has stuck to it's guns and the cap is indeed lower than the last ditch effort early in the new year.  Let's hope they fix some things on the owners side as well. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2005, 05:58 PM »
Penguins have had some big news, though it didn't really say anything concrete.

Just strong rumors that a buy-out of the Pens major ownership share is in the works by a San Jose businessman/friend of Lemieux.  Still claiming to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh if revenues from slots can be used to build a new arena (i wish they'd just do the goddamn thing and be done with it but our state's such a bunch of pansies about the slots issue).  Lemieux is said to be keeping some ownership and control over the team if this deal goes through...

Prospective cities the team could move to if a new arena deal isn't worked out by 2007 include Kansas city and Oklahoma City...   ::)  The KC hog-sloppers and the OC Inbreads...  Those names have a nice ring to them. (no offense to anyone from KC or OC, just a joke made under irritation)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #512 on: June 23, 2005, 10:27 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050623/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_lemieux_labor_1

Man, this guy just gets me pumped for hockey in this town again, even in 80+ degree weather. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 5, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Having only been paying attention for modest amounts of my minds time, I've completely neglected hockey.  It turns out that we may indeed see a deal come to fruition this week. 

The deal, it seems, is darn near everything I "hoped" for.  Now that it's come about, I'm not so sure I'm in favor of it, but I guess a change of heart doesn't really matter.  It seems that the NHL owners have stuck to their guns and come back with an offer lower than the previous offer to save the last season. 

I can't find the print article I read yesterday online, so I'll paraphrase some of the details for ya:
* cap in the range of $35-40 million, or possibly lower. 
* maximum salary of $850,000 for first three years in league plus a cap of 10% of said salary as bonuses
*revenue sharing and luxury taxes on higher paying teams (eg Rangers) to help out lower paying teams (Calgary)
*expectation of teams buying out high end players for 2/3 of salary so they fit under cap/dump highly paid, low production guys
*resultant glut of free agents that will be getting considerably less money than received previously

There were lots of other speculative details, but it all left me saying "wow".  The players are apparently somewhat unaware of what is headed their way and Goodenow is likely to be axed following this agreement.  The players may opt to not sign the agreement, but I don't think it will get better for them if they opt out for another year.  Replacement players would likely be brought in and I'd guess you'd see a good chunk (10% maybe) crossing any lines. 

It appears all the pieces are in place to suggest a return to Winnipeg is not unreasonable.  I don't think that will happen, but a significant proportion of what had to happen to make it reality seems like it will.  Bettman hates Winnipeg; the league needs to contract yet (something not at all discussed in the agreement) and which team do you move here anyway?  None, I guess.   :-\

Now, let's see if the media prognostication is accurate, either detail or timewise. 

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 5, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Detroit News said something about that buy-out clause also and suggest Derian Hatcher could be one of the guys that the Wings would buy out.  They said it won't count against a team's cap number, allowing teams like Detroit to get under the ceiling.

They also said expect an announcement around the MLB All-Star game to maximize media coverage.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 5, 2005, 05:29 PM »

They also said expect an announcement around the MLB All-Star game to maximize media coverage.

Heh, they're finally getting smarter.  Not sure baseball has fully recovered, but you have to know they get way more of an audience than the NHL (ever will?). 

I also read about the buyout not counting against the cap room.  In some respects I feel bad for some of the players, but there's lots of guys out there making way more than they are worth (Tie Domi for example) and it will realign what they should be making.  For a lot of guys like that they're going to see substantial pay cuts.  Mind you they'll get the 2/3 buyout which, depending on their contract, could be one hell of a sign-out bonus.  Sure they'll probably face a 50% or more pay cut when they resign, but they'll just have been handed several million for their trouble. 

The article also suggested that the top 4-5 guys per team will still make really nice salaries (5 million range) but the rest of the guys will make a lot less.  Not fair really in some senses but guys like Alexei Yashin will actually have to show up season after season to get the salary they want.  No more dogging it and I don't expect we're going to see many contracts beyond three years just for that reason.  A money-in-the-bank guy like Forsberg (presuming he even comes back) in his prime might get a couple of years more, but not much.  No one will want to tie up limited funds for that long. 

Now if they throw some rule changes out there (whatever they may be to increase offense), contract selectively and intelligently they can start all over again with a potentially bright future.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 6, 2005, 06:37 AM »
Let's hope the announcement is soon.  I don't think the NHL will be able to get by with another lost season.  The players and owners need to strike a deal now.  The NBA agreement didn't take long.  Why did the NHL's have to be so hard?  I'd rather be without the NBA and their thugs than the NHL.  I would like to see Bettman go as a part of the deal.  He's made the NHL into the mess it is.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 6, 2005, 03:29 PM »
If a new deal is announced soon, there better be some serious rule changes along with it. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL and NHLPA reach a deal, hockey returns!
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Beat me to it. 

It figures though, the NHL has an opportunity to make an annoucement during a venue that has very high visibility in the US, the MLB allstar game and instead this comes out the next day ::)  They may have a deal, but they still can't market their product worth a ****. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2005, 04:00 PM »
BRETT HULL!!!!

:)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2005, 09:26 PM »
Ok it may have been the medication, but did I either read or hear that there are 150+ Free Agents right now?

And Dallas stuck with a tightwad for an Owner.  Mike Modano even said he'd come back to Dallas for LESS money, but that the number he had in mind was not near as low as Tom Hicks and Co....

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2005, 10:30 PM »
Yeah, 150 and it will go up.  My understanding was that teams could cut loose players for 2/3 of their remaining salary and the payments won't count against the cap.  That way teams can dump overpriced talent (or lack thereof) and not be penalized on their cap room.  A lot of guys will be looking for work and working for a lot less.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2005, 09:44 AM »
Great day for the NHL and the fans.  It's finally over.  A year too late IMO, but at least another season will not be lost.  The high priced talent will be forced to take pay cuts if they want to play.  Most teams are going to look a lot different than they did the last time they played.  The Wild should look pretty much the same because they don't have any high buck players, so I'm happy with that.  I look forward to watching some NHL games this winter.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 22, 2005, 05:07 PM »
Jesse ought to be happy.  Penguins get first pick in the draft for this year (as in today) and presumably select (if they haven't already) Crosby, The Next (next) One.  Now, we just need the Pens to fold down there and move the team to Winnipeg :P