Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 71287 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL '03-'04
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Inver Grove Heights, MN

Mostly we were a wrestling power-house while I was in High School, but lately we've improved in boys baseball, hockey, and girls hockey.

My little bro plays for the IGH travel team/JV right now.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2004, 07:38 PM »
I was at the Preds game last night wathing the Wild Mild get their arses handed to them, good stuff! Tomorrow's the Rangers, but after the game Jamie Allison is having a benefit concert at a local bar! I'll be sure to post my pics from it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: March 1, 2004, 01:06 AM »
Forget the Wild, Golden Gophers or anything else, the Lady Elks of Elk River, MN are the '03-'04 MN High School Champions!  w00t

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 2, 2004, 04:45 AM »
Just got home from a good night of drinking following a somewhat lackluster performance by the Preds against the Blackhawks. For some reason they've had our number all year...but at least we made out with a point. I'm really hoping we pull some deal where we dump Arkhipov and Schnabel for a solid defensemen.

The Jamie Allison benefit concert was really cool, he only sang three songs but he was actually pretty damn good (how can a  Bad Company cover not be good!) I blew him away by showing him my Allison jersey, he said that's the first time he's ever seen one in person beside his own! I got some pics with him, and Jordin Tootoo was sitting at the table next to us so I got him to sign a puck and take a pic with me, I'll have to post them once i get it developed. Chris Mason, Steve Sullivan, David Legwand and Adam Hall plus a few other Predators were there to heckle Jamie also, so I got to meet most of them. Good times, and if his audition with RCA went well, expect to see a Jamie Allison country record sometime in the future!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: March 2, 2004, 09:38 AM »
Looks like the East is a pretty tight race with 5 teams within 2 points  for the #1 seed while the Wings have went ahead of the Avs who have stumbled a little here recently...

Wild needed another goal scorer this year, their propensity to blow 3rd period leads is maddening as well

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 6, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Talk about an arms race in the East!  

Philly lands Zhamnov, Burke, Markov.
Ottawa gets Bondra.
B's land Gonchar and Nylander.
T.O. gets Leetch.
The Swamp-Dwellers get Hrdina.
Habs land Kovalev.

I don't think these guys are done yet either, and Tampa has made no moves as of yet and are the hottest team in the league right now.
Whew!  There's going to be some good teams going home after the first round this year...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: March 6, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Wild have traded 6 players in 3 weeks :-\

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 6, 2004, 01:18 PM »
Predators GM David Poile announced today that the club has acquired defenseman Brad Bombardir and center Sergei Zholtok from the Minnesota Wild for Buffalo’s third-round selection and a fourth-round selection in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Thanks OCB!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: March 6, 2004, 02:17 PM »
No problem, Go Preds! :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 6, 2004, 04:27 PM »
I was hoping (still am) that they move Brunette.  No particular malice to the Wild, but I've got Brunette in a hockey pool and would be a whole lot happier if he was playing on a team that wasn't scoring less than a goal a game lately.  

I'm currently in fourth place, about 15 points back.  If Brunette can start scoring and the Blues can come out of their slump, I've got a real decent shot at winning this thing for bragging rights and about $150.  

My team is comprised of:
Demitra - Blues
Lecavalier - Lightning
Gonchar - Bruins
Stillman - Lightning
Bondra - Senators
Spezza - Senators
Zetterburg - Wings
Brunette - Wild
Handzus - Flyers
Horcoff - Oilers
Khabibulin - Lightning (goalies are good for two points for a win, five for a shutout/goal/assist)

I had no idea that the Lightning would do so well this year, but I was picking late in the pool.  Couldn't get many Avs or Senators early.  Bondra and Gonchar were of course drafted from Washington and traded.  Zetterburg did what he was supposed to.  Brunette, Handzus and Horcoff were all picked in late rounds and have been very positive picks.  

We have a few spares too.  I had snagged Boguniecki in the middle rounds and he started the season injured.  My spares have performed so well that he hasn't been in my lineup all year.  The only surprise to me is Marcel Hossa out of Montreal.  Marian Hossa of the Senators is top five and this is his little brother.  He spent the whole off season training with his brother, so I picked him with my last pick.  2 points in the first two games and I look like a genius.  Zero points since.  Oops.  Guess that's why he's sitting on the bench.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 9, 2004, 01:23 AM »
wow, anybody catch that avalanche game tonight?  :o  :o

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 9, 2004, 08:44 AM »
Does the Marty McSorley incident come to mind?  :o

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: March 9, 2004, 10:20 AM »
So, lets see...

Hendrickson - Colorado
Marshall - San Jose
Dowd - Montreal
Zoltok - Nashville
Bombardir - Nashville
Brown - Buffalo

I think we've only got 2 players left who will be Free Agents next year, so they'll probably be traded today!

I guess it's a good move though... we're not gonna make the playoffs, so it's better to stock up on cheap draft picks and then try to re-sign some of these guys after the lock-out is over...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: March 9, 2004, 10:37 AM »
My mighty Penguins beat up on the Rangers the other night...  Bright spot to a dismal season.  Love seeing Jagr do a turn-over that leads to an unanswered 3-goals in the 3rd...  

For a team in last in the NHL, the Penguins have a possible bright future if they make the right moves.  I just hope we make solid use of our draft picks coming up...  We need to, to stay afloat.  

I'm a loyalist to the Pens though, and hope things improve, and they're still fun to watch sometimes.  Bright spots like that Rangers game are worth waiting for.  :)  So long as you can stand games like that Nashville blowout that happened, yeesh...

It's funny to look around and see all the stars from here at other teams though...  Naslund, Francis, Jagr (though he's nothing without good linemates), Lange, Nedved, etc...  Francis and Kovalev are the only two I regret seeing leave the city.  Both were great guys on top of being great players.  

Pens are more worried about building a solid foundation of talent up and coming, and getting a new arena, rather than winning games though...  So the oldies gotta go to the teams that can afford them I suppose.  Damnable non-salary capped league. >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 9, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Damnable non-salary capped league. >:(

Not for long.  That's what the owners really want.  Enjoy what's left of the rest of the season.  

BTW, Tommy Salo went to the AVs.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.