Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 71998 times)

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
Re: Playoffs for Lord Stanley's Cup NHL '04
« Reply #195 on: May 4, 2004, 10:08 PM »
Leafs are out... all is well in my world now.

Around Ottawa... I could just about hear the Leaf Nation's tears.....

;)

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 5, 2004, 07:21 AM »
And the flyers advance....

Tampa vs. Philly - I'm hoping for a repeat of the outcome of the last time their respective football teams met one playoff round from the finals...  :)

And I'm hoping for the opposite.  I'm glad the Philly / Toronto series didn't go 7.  Gives the Broad Street Bullies some time to rest up.  The physical play of the Flyers vs. the speed of the Lightning.  Should be a good series.
Common sense isn't so common

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 5, 2004, 10:49 AM »
And the flyers advance....

Tampa vs. Philly - I'm hoping for a repeat of the outcome of the last time their respective football teams met one playoff round from the finals...  :)

And I'm hoping for the opposite.  I'm glad the Philly / Toronto series didn't go 7.  Gives the Broad Street Bullies some time to rest up.  The physical play of the Flyers vs. the speed of the Lightning.  Should be a good series.

It definitely should be lots of fun.  

(keep in mind the Lightning won all four regular season match ups - I know it doesn't count for jack, but at least it indicates that they stand a good chance)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #198 on: May 5, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Well, looks like I'll be rooting for the Flames and Flyers then (sorry fans of the other teams)  Like I said, I like to root for teams that have won a Championship over those that haven't especially when my team hasn't won one

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 5, 2004, 10:59 AM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #200 on: May 7, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Conference Finals start tomorrow...

I'm rooting Flames/Flyers but I think it will actually be Sharks/Lightning and be the least watched Cup in history

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 7, 2004, 12:24 PM »
Ok since my rooting Jinx is apparently in Turbo right now (sorry Leaf fans, see my rooting chart from days agao)

I have decided to sell/rent my rooting Jinx.  So get your bids in early, I will root for the "other" team during the conference finals for a low low price.

I just want Hockey back on TV, it has been a long 3 days.  

The most Hockey I've seen is what I DVR'ed from the last few weeks.  The best hit/aftermath of the whole playoffs is the guy in the last Philly/Toronto game who got hit and didn't know where he was, but was warrior enough to try to find his bench.  Having had my bell rung a few times and never even having the sense to know where I was, this guy (can't remember his name) is truly a player.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2004, 07:35 AM »
Flyers put an ass whipping on the Lighting to tie the series at 1 apiece heading back to the City of Brotherly Love.

Go Flyers!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2004, 09:01 AM »
Article in our Sun paper today.

Shark bait for Klein?

The Terminator came calling and King Ralph was up for the challenge. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger phoned Premier Ralph Klein yesterday to place a wager on the Calgary-San Jose NHL playoff semifinals - even though the Sharks are already down a game. The duo agreed to put up $1,000 apiece on the outcome of the best-of-seven series, said Klein's press secretary Marisa Etmanski.

"Each person will decide what charity to support once the winner is decided," Etmanski said, noting Klein is leaning towards helping out the Special Olympics.

She added that during the five-minute chat between the two leaders it was not clarified if the loser of the bet would have to pay in American greenbacks or Canadian loonies.

"I imagine if it's Arnold giving it to us, it'd be in American," she said.

She said Klein thought talking to Schwarzenegger - dubbed the Governator - was "cool. They also discussed other things like Alberta's role in energy in California," she said. "He was quite receptive and hoped that they could meet face to face some day."

As to whether the Austrian-born Schwarzenegger, 56, is a hockey fan, Etmanski said he "indicated he definitely wanted San Jose to win."

Last week, Klein mused that he was interested in placing a friendly wager on the series, which continues tonight in San Jose, as long as it did not involve physical activity of any kind. Calgary won the first game 4-3 in overtime Sunday.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2004, 12:01 PM »
Wow what a rout, go Flyers go Flames!!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2004, 10:32 AM »
I've always sort of had a soft spot for the Flames.  The first pro athlete (Joel Otto) from my hometown played a lot of years for the Flames.  They won the cup in '89, his mom was my Gym teacher that year and she was always wearing Flames clothes.  He brought the Cup to our that year ;D  Since then there have been two other Elk River hockey players make the NHL, Dan Hinote on the Avalanche and the aforementioned OCB protege Paul Martin

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2004, 12:01 PM »
Update from the Sun paper on the bet with the Terminator:

Leaders' bet just a hoax!

"A reported wager between California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Premier Ralph Klein has turned out to be a hoax perpetrated by an Edmonton radio station. "It's not the first time something like this has happened," an aide to the governor said yesterday from Sacramento.

Klein received a phone call Monday morning from what turned out to be an Arnie impersonator who offered to place a $1,000 bet on the Calgary-San Jose NHL semifinal playoff series, said Klein's press secretary Marisa Etmanski.

"I had made some calls (to Schwarzenegger) on Friday, so this all made sense," she said.

Yesterday, the station - CFBR-FM the Bear - came clean, admitting its morning jocks faked the phone call using computer-generated voice-altering software to trick Klein and his staff.

Station general manager Marty Forbes admits in a letter to Klein the prank was taken too far and has agreed to donate $1,000 to the charity of Klein's choice - Special Olympics.

PROFESSIONALLY EMBARRASSED

"I simply cannot tell you how personally and professionally embarrassed I feel about this stunt ... and I wish to apologize most sincerely on behalf of our radio station," he told the Sun yesterday.

"I have ordered the tape destroyed and can assure you it will not make it to our airwaves at any time in the future. This was a total lack of respect for ... Premier Klein and the government of the state of California."

Etmanski said when she told Klein of the hoax, "he had a pretty good sense of humour about it. He laughed and then he said, 'For a hoax, that was a pretty good hoax.' "

Etmanski said she's "seriously disappointed" by the prank.

"This sort of practical joke doesn't help anybody. It doesn't help the image of the media and it doesn't help us. We conduct ourselves in a very professional, honest way and when someone calls our office we don't question who is calling us."

Schwarzenegger's aide said the governor is not interested in placing a wager, but could not provide details as to why.

Last fall, the same radio station faked a call to Schwarzenegger from the Prime Minister's Office. A disc jockey adopted a bad French accent and exchanged pleasantries with Schwarzenegger, who later grew suspicious and hung up."

These guys pull alot of pranks up here, why? They have the best lawyers in the city! Not to mention a big promo for the station. Must be ratings month.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2004, 05:55 PM »
So I was able to catch the first period of the Flyers/Lightning game and saw the crowd was doing the everyone wear Orange bit and saw the Flames had their crowd do the same with Red.  Did the Jets start that with their fans wearing White shirts or does it predate them??  Its a cool effect though :)