Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 72035 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #300 on: June 10, 2004, 11:35 PM »
They deserved it.  St. Louis was the top player in the league no doubt.  I actually thought he was going to win the Lady Byng as well.  Being a fan of the Senators I was surprised that Alfredsson was also nominated.  Sure, his penalty minutes were low, but he's not really the cleanest player in the league.  A bit too much stickwork, IMO.  

Zod, what was regular season attendance like in TB?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 10, 2004, 11:48 PM »
Well, I moved to Dallas about a year ago, so I haven't been to any games recently and couldn't tell you exact numbers without doing some googling...but it's safe to say that it's much lower than the 21,000 person capacity of the Ice Palace.  The ownership was saying earlier in the year that the team would probably have to make it to at least the finals just to be profitable for the season.

The hope is that this playoff run and championship will boost next year's attendance, they undoubtably made new fans this year - winning it all will do that...  The area needs to grow into a love of hockey...I myself have only been interested for 3 or 4 years now.  

We (Tampa) went through the same kinda thing with the Bucs, they were terrible for so long and you couldn't give tickets away...now the waiting list for season tickets has tens of thousands of names on it.

Here's to hoping there's hockey next year and that they can continue to expand their fan base.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2004, 12:39 AM »
Pittsburgh News:

Mario Lemieux's holding his annual Mario Lemieux Invitational Golf Outing (always star-studded) in Pittsburgh this week, and was speaking publicly about the Penguin's status here in Pittsburgh.

He's disappointed, obviously, because our financially strapped city is dragging their feet in every way possible abut the Penguins (who sport the oldest arena in the NHL) receiving a new arena.

Headlines and reports say that the Penguins aren't for sale YET, but that Lemieux said that without help (and the Pennsylvania Slot Machine legislation going through to help fund it) the likelihood of sale is there.  Without a new arena he just can't make the team marketable or guarantee they will last here.

In a sense, this isn't anything new but people were in a panic on the news channels this evening.  

It's disappointing to hear it uttered publicly, but it's nto the first time either.  Our city is financially in the toilet right now, which sucks, but they are still improving.  New stuff's going up routinely.

I think a new Arena's a good idea, and if they'd finally get the slots going we'd have an arena/gambling establishment in the city as well, which would undoubtebly generate revenue.  That seems to have lots of opponents though itself.

The fact the city backed the new stadiums (plural) for the Steelers and Pirates who no longer wished to share, I think it's simply disrespectful of the city to neglect our most recently successful sports team, the Penguins.

The Steelers will always be #1, but the Penguins will always be #1 to me, and should be #2 to the city.  Pirates have a nice stadium, but that's ALL they have, and they're not even known for "giving back" to the community like the Pens have.

I hope the state/city help get us a new arena for the Pens and that my favorite team (and the only one I support till they're out of the running ANY year) doesn't get sold off and leave the city.

It seems like the city's not even willing to discuss it sometimes, and they're telling Lemieux he's 100% on his own t get this stadium built.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #303 on: June 22, 2004, 04:18 PM »
Markus Naslund in EA SPORTS' NHL 2005

As Wild fan, and therfore an anti-fan of the Canucks, I was happy to read that Naslund will be the cover boy for the NHL2005.  ;)

With Bertuzzi out indefinately on his suspension and the EA Curse hanging over Naslund's head, it should be a banner year for the Canucks!

Let's just hope that the curse hits NASLUND only and doesn't spill over into the passengers of his car like it did with Dany Heatley last year...  :(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #304 on: June 24, 2004, 02:14 PM »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #305 on: September 2, 2004, 02:34 PM »
Just heard that the season tickets for my buyer group here at work are in, so we'll be dividing up the games this weekend (via a lotto system for picks).  I'll end up with 4 games this year (1 of 11 shares).  Now all we have to do is hope there is a season.  :-\

Jeff

ps.
I watched USA vs. Canada the other night on ESPN.  The Team USA played worse than some college teams I've seeen in my day.  Kinda reminded me of the "Dream Team" in that there are stars on the team, but they don't function well together for a whole list of reasons I guess.

So, the World Cup is alright, but I'd rather be watching the NHL or the WCHA!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #306 on: September 2, 2004, 02:35 PM »
You Canuckians heard any rumors of how the talks have been going in Montreal?  All I've seen in the paper is that both sides refuse to comment ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 2, 2004, 02:58 PM »
Much the same here.  Perhaps the only difference is that there are "reports" that if a deal occurs, it will happen in the last week of bargaining, probably the last two days. 

That said, both sides have apparently been told to prepare for a very long stoppage, as I'm sure you've heard.  NHLPA reps have told guys, as long as a year ago, to set aside what they need for minimum one year without salary. 

Canada will weep.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 2, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Here's a good site for all you puck heads:

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

I still think that if a deal gets done, it will include a luxury tax and not a salary cap, much like the deal MLB struck w/ their player's union.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #309 on: September 3, 2004, 03:00 AM »
You Canuckians heard any rumors of how the talks have been going in Montreal?  All I've seen in the paper is that both sides refuse to comment ::)

The Chief Legal Officer for the NHL, Bill Daly spoke during intermission of last evening's USA/Russia World Cup game and stated that neither side was close to coming to an agreement. It's going to be a sad to see the NHL have yet another season not start on time, just 10 years after it most recently happened. Oh well, at least that season the Devils won the Cup! :)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 5, 2004, 10:05 PM »
NHL needs US...

Probably fairly transient as a link, so...

A reality lost in the constant craze that is Canadian hockey culture: When the NHL shuts its doors in mid-September it will be making itself disappear from its largest market, the U.S. -- and hardly anyone there will care. That's because college football has begun.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #311 on: September 6, 2004, 02:03 AM »
If the NHL stops play, will that affect the IHL, OHL, QHL, etc.?  I don't know how the work stoppage will affect the junior clubs or the affiliates of the NHL clubs.   :-\

I doubt ppl will care much in Canada if they can still watch the local juniors teams... 

I'll miss the Wild, but I can still watch the Gophers and the rest of the WCHA games to get my hockey fx.  8)

Granted, the quality isn't that of the NHL, but it's still fun to watch none the less. 

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #312 on: September 6, 2004, 11:54 AM »
I'll miss the Wild, but I can still watch the Gophers and the rest of the WCHA games to get my hockey fx.  8)

I care more about and watch more of the Gophers than I do the Wild, being an alumni, their recent success and being the only gig in town for 10 years has something to do with that

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 6, 2004, 12:26 PM »
I saw those interviews during the intermission as well.  Bottom line is this: the rep. from the NHLPA was asked if they could get a deal done and his response was "If the league drops the cap, we'll get a deal done."  That's it in a nutshell.  The league wants a cap, the players don't.  That alone will cause the lockout.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 6, 2004, 12:32 PM »
If the NHL stops play, will that affect the IHL, OHL, QHL, etc.?  I don't know how the work stoppage will affect the junior clubs or the affiliates of the NHL clubs.   :-\

I doubt ppl will care much in Canada if they can still watch the local juniors teams... 

Granted, the quality isn't that of the NHL, but it's still fun to watch none the less. 

Jeff

Other leagues will not be affected, we have an IHL team and they are set to go regardless of a lockout or not.  We are the Canucks farm team. 

As far as Canadians caring, yes, people will attend IHL, junior and university hockey, but there is quite simply no replacing the NHL.  Hockey Night in Canada is almost universal for Saturday night entertainment.  We'll watch other hockey, no doubt, but there is no comparison.  Trust me, as someone who lives in a former NHL city, the difference is astounding.