Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 71980 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #315 on: September 6, 2004, 12:43 PM »
Hockey Night in Canada is almost universal for Saturday night entertainment.   

Hockey Night in Canada!    ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 6, 2004, 01:28 PM »
Amazing.  Heard that song and immediately put on a toque and got a beer from the fridge ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 6, 2004, 01:37 PM »
Amazing.  Heard that song and immediately put on a toque and got a beer from the fridge ;D

It is our 2nd national anthem!  :D   ;)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #318 on: September 7, 2004, 12:33 AM »

It is our 2nd national anthem!  :D   ;)

ya know does sound better than O' Canada.  ;) I kid, I kid.....

well if the NHL goes down, most people here in Chicago won't notice the difference, I 'm sad to say. But at least we have a good alternative with the AHL's Wolves, unfortunately in other towns in the states it won't be the case and could damage the credibility of the teams in places like Atlanta or Miami, where there is already little interest in the game. Those "small-market" teams are already on the bubble and a lock out will only hurt them more and could cause a drop in the total number of teams in the NHL in the near future.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 14, 2004, 09:45 PM »
Team Canada wins the world cup and the hockey world comes to a crashing halt.  Just watched the game and pleased to see the HNIC logo, probably the only time I'll see it this year. 

2nd intermission featured a head-head interview with representation from the players and the owners ::)  It is going to be a very long year without hockey.  The rep for the players said we're prepared to shut down this league for a very long time :o :-\  Not sure they're quite clear on who is shutting whom down, but the point is the same.  No need for a hockey draft anytime soon :'(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 14, 2004, 09:49 PM »
Team Canada wins the world cup...

It is going to be a very long year without hockey.

:'(

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 14, 2004, 09:50 PM »
Team Canada wins the world cup and the hockey world comes to a crashing halt.  Just watched the game and pleased to see the HNIC logo, probably the only time I'll see it this year. 

2nd intermission featured a head-head interview with representation from the players and the owners ::)  It is going to be a very long year without hockey.  The rep for the players said we're prepared to shut down this league for a very long time :o :-\  Not sure they're quite clear on who is shutting whom down, but the point is the same.  No need for a hockey draft anytime soon :'(

Congrats to Team Canada, Team USA just didn't have it this year which is a shame. A USA/Canada final woulda been sweet.

I don't think that the league owners realize how much a lockout will hurt the league, there's going to be several teams which will be on the edge of closing down permanently, which just shrinks potential revenue for the league in general. I'm beginning to think they're letting a guy like Bill Wirtz (Blackhawks owner) tell them what to do. He doesn't care if there is no NHL season, he makes more money in the liquor distribution business and real estate, so a small loss of money from the already fledgling Hawks doesn't matter to him.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 15, 2004, 05:41 PM »
Should we change the name of this thread to NHL:Lockout or NHL Extended Offseason????

I was hoping to have some hockey to watch this year.  If there is no season at all does that mean there will be a blank spot on the Cup?

But seriously...what are the chances of us getting a partial season? I've been out of the loop the last few weeks.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 15, 2004, 05:46 PM »
Crappy.    >:(

At least the lightning get to stay champs for the time being...   :P

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2004, 07:10 PM »
Just read it on the elevator at the office and confirmed it on ESPN.com, the NHL has officially announced that it will lockout players from the beginning of training camp on Thursday. Full details at: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1882150

Well there it goes, the owners have gone and ****** things up. Not that the players are innocent in all this, but damn the greatest sport on earth stopped for the 2nd time in a decade...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 07:11 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 15, 2004, 09:54 PM »
The last time the cup was not awarded in a given year was 1919.  Not sure of the cause, but no, no blank spot, just a missing year when you look close enough. 

Latest rumour floating around is that if the lockout lasts two years, the players union becomes decertified, giving the owners all kinds of leverage, having essentially broken the union.  Not sure how much truth there is to that, but it seems plausible. 

I don't have any great love for either side.  With spectacular spokesmen like Brett Hull, my loathing of the players is ever increasing.  The owners seem to take the risk at least, though for most I suspect it is a big tax break to them. 

I think a cap coupled with an incentive laden contract is the way for the league to go.  No more Alexei Yashin's dogging it after getting the contract and playing where they want.  Produce or get paid less.  Seems fair to me.  I think the cap is necessary for the small markets to survive.  Though buying a cup has seldom worked to this point, I disagree with the players' idea of a tax system for revenue sharing.  The revenue sharing part I agree with, needs to be there for the entire league to survive.  But I disagree with allowing the continuation with no cap.  The Rangers, for example, could then go out and get all the top talent they want, leaving a dog like Calgary, even though they're making money via the profit sharing, with no top talent and an ever weakening fan base.  There is no such thing as player loyalty to an organization any more.  Why would Kiprusoff want to stay in Calgary at 2 mill per when he could go east and get 5 mill per?  No brainer really. 

Oh well, IHL is just a 10 minute drive away....

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL - Game On?
« Reply #326 on: September 24, 2004, 10:33 AM »
Virtual Teams Overcome NHL Lockout

Looks like NGC or PS2 will get to determine next year's Stanley Cup Champion.

I can't believe that this channel is seriously going to broadcast a Video Game complete with commentary and stats and everything!  Virtual NHL!   ::)

Madness.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2004, 05:58 PM »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NHL - Game On?
« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2004, 09:42 PM »
Virtual Teams Overcome NHL Lockout

Looks like NGC or PS2 will get to determine next year's Stanley Cup Champion.

I can't believe that this channel is seriously going to broadcast a Video Game complete with commentary and stats and everything!  Virtual NHL!   ::)

Madness.

Jeff

That's freakin hilarious, but they should have people play some of the games, would make it all the more funny to watch.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #329 on: September 30, 2004, 04:04 PM »
178 NHL Players Now in Europe

178 Players.  That's about 25% of the Roster spots in the NHL.

Add in other guys who are going to go coach/play for minor league teams in IHL/AHL/OHL/QHL, and you are up to about 30% of the players who have jobs elsewhere...

:-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender