Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 72092 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #345 on: October 3, 2004, 02:19 PM »
Alright.  This is what I'm talkin about!  A hockey discussion w/ true hockey fans.

First off, to touch on Jamie's view about the Preds.  Honestly, if the Preds don't make the playoffs, no one cares.  The only way to sustain a fan base is to be competitive year in and year out.  Perfect example locally for me is the Ducks.  They don't draw, never have.  The year they went to the Finals, they had a figure in the LA Times that said the Ducks sold out 5 dates all season: the 2 times they play the Kings, the 2 times they play the Wings and the 1 time they face the NY Rangers.  As soon as they went into the postseason, everyone was on the bandwagon.  Once they went back to Duck-form this past season, no one cared.  No one around town was talking Ducks or wearing anything Ducks.  If the Nashville fans are die-hard and loyal, they'll come back after this lockout.  I personally have my doubts.  I just look at all the other teams in the NHL over the past few years that had a playoff run and then stunk the next season and the fans jumped off the bandwagon (Anaheim, Caroline, etc.) 

My reasoning for folding franchises ties directly into revenue and the issues of a salary cap.  Bottom line guys, a salary cap isn't a cure all and isn't the way to go.  Sure the NFL does well, but there are other reasons the NFL does well, namely their TV deal which generates over $80 million for each team.  That's right kids, $80 million.  The NHL deal gives no money to it's teams.  The only thing, the ONLY thing a salary cap does is ensure owners of franchises such as Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, etc that put no money into their team in terms of payroll turn a profit.  That's the sole reason the owners want a cap.  If a cap gets put in place, does that really guarantee that Phoenix becomes a Cup contender?  Does that mean Atlanta wins the Eastern Conference?  No.  It doesn't.  The only reason some of the teams like Carolina and Anaheim have done what they've done is because of the rules that focus on decreasing scoring.  Teams w/ no talent obstruct the teams w/ talent and play ugly hockey all the way to the promise land.  It's a travesty. 

Eliminating some franchises eliminates a lot of the issues the NHL has.  We wouldn't even be talking about a cap if the league hadn't over expanded.  As long as Gary Bettman is in power, this league is in trouble.  He has no direction other than his cap-mindedness and no idea on how to improve this game. 

As a local LA guy, take the Kings out of contraction talk.  They draw, and draw well.  There are tons of die-hard Kings fans around here.  I don't know who mentioned them as being abysmal or whatever, but that's so far off.  If anything, the Ducks need to go, not the Kings.

As for not folding any Canadian franchises, I'll say it again: You can't.  Look at the sentiments Morgbug has conveyed.  Now what happens to the game and it's overall fan base if we fold the Flames, the Canucks, the Oilers and Senators?  Can you honestly tell me that hockey as a whole survives w/ only 2 franchises in the great white north?  Hell, most of the people watching hockey in June regardless of who is playing are Canadians.  What would have happened to the overall state of affairs had the Flames been folded say 2 years ago and it was a US team in the Finals this year?  I think you guys are missing the overall point I'm making for not contracting any Canadian franchises.  It goes well beyond tradition. 

Hey Jamie.  Who won that series again?   ;D
« Last Edit: October 3, 2004, 02:30 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2004, 02:22 AM »
Meant to post about this Saturday night, but got slobbering drunk and forgot about it until just now. Our minor league team (which just happened to win the Calder Cup last season) came to town Saturday and gave the hockey starved fans on Middle Tennesse something to be happy about.

The Triumphant return of Jordin Tootoo!

I went with a few of my buddies not really knowing what type of crowd to expect, and was very happy to see nearly 11,000 fans show up for a MINOR LEAGUE game. I'm telling you guys, us getting into the playoffs last year was a great catalyst to start building a solid fan base, and with the Titans sucking complete ass (went to the Titans/Texans game Sunday, piss-poor effort all around), this would have been a great time to start getting people excited about the season early on.  I really hope some of the season gets salvaged...

one final thought

Why are our minor league goal girls much hotter than the Preds goal girls??

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 02:29 AM by jjks »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2004, 11:38 AM »
How in the hell did those Goal Girls make the squad?  Woof

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2004, 01:14 PM »
I need to hit up a minor league game in TN.  Those chicks are smokin!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #349 on: November 3, 2004, 06:44 PM »
There goes the All-Star game!  As if there was ever any doubt...   ::)

These guys are all complete and total dumbasses.  Not even trying to make an effort to work it out.  What do they think?  They can just blow off a whole season, but when they go back to try to patch things up next year, things are going to be any different, or easier to work out?  I highly doubt it.

****, I say they start negotiating right now, just so they don't wind up missing TWO seasons.  Morons.

Not that I really give two ***** about hockey anymore, but man, this really cements it for me and my bandwagon fandom...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 4, 2004, 12:05 AM »
Well, both sides have really overestimated the desire of fans to return to watching.  Oh sure, Toronto will sell out no matter what and crowds will be alright elsewhere, but there was a poll today in the newspaper (sorry, online subscription only which I don't have) and only 33% of Canadians gave a crap.  That is seriously bad news.  Everyone hates millionaires fighting other millionaires for the biggest share of the pie, so both sides (though moreso the players) are in a pretty steady state of decline in terms of respect. 

Minor league hockey is drawing well up here, University games are getting bigger crowds and there's no shortage of any type of junior hockey where kids are playing as much for the love of the game.  Sure, the calibre isn't the same, but then again I don't have to watch some ****head like Tkachuk or Hull (Jr., not Sr.) whine about how much money they deserve for being an *******. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 4, 2004, 01:07 AM »
All-star D-man Sergei Gonchar of the Bruins got laid the "f" out a week or so during a game overseas and was in pretty bad condition at one point and there was ZERO mention of it here.  The only time I hear hockey mentioned is when people joke about it and how they aren't playing.  No one cares and it sucks because the more time passes the less they will care.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #352 on: December 2, 2004, 10:17 AM »
I realize its different probably up yonder but I can't remember the last time I even heard about whats going on with anything in the negotiations

When MLB was locked out it was almost the lead story for weeks upon weeks

When the NBA was locked out it still made the news and was still talked about

Not a peep anywhere...not ESPN.com, not on the news, not in the paper, nada

That is sad :'(

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 2, 2004, 10:34 AM »
All I've seen is an article in the Tennessean talking about what Barry Trotz is doing to stay busy, which is basically hanging out with Jeff Fisher at Titans games.

>:(

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #354 on: December 2, 2004, 10:43 AM »
I realize its different probably up yonder but I can't remember the last time I even heard about whats going on with anything in the negotiations

Not a peep anywhere...not ESPN.com, not on the news, not in the paper, nada

That is sad :'(

That's because I don't think there have been ANY negotiations since September 9th.  Hard to say anything new when the two sides aren't even talking... and that is sad.  Bye-Bye NHL 2004-05.   :'(

I guess most Minnesotans haven't really thought about it because we've got Vikings still going.  Most people I know never really cared about the NHL until January anyway.   :(

So, for now, I just content myself with this:

INCH Power Rankings

Hard to feel sorry for the NHL when the Gophers are playing so well...  ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 2, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Yup, up yonder it is entirely different.  We hear about it everyday, but as Jeff correctly indicates, lots of talk about nothing.  I suppose we get to hear a little more about the cracks in either side, as players (mostly) talk about crossing a picket line at some point, only to be squashed by the union promptly. 

If you're really curious, just click this link every so often:

clicky me please
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #356 on: December 2, 2004, 07:56 PM »
Nightly news here seems to usually have a blurb about there being still no progress or efforts towards progress for the Pens to have any kind of season.

The big story the other day was that they were shutting all the heating off to the Arena to save $.  Makes sense since they don't usually use the place for anything but Hockey, especially at this time of year.  Once Ringling Bros. is in and out in November, they're all hockey for the most part.

Not this year...  But usually. 

Part of me cares, part of me doesnt'.  The Steelers awesome year is blanketing over a lot of the hockey issues I think here.  If they were playing like last year, I think the No NHL thing would be more talked about, but the news casters have all they can handle every week with the Steelers coverage it seems.

I miss them playing, but I'm so irked at pro sports in general, other than Football.  The NHL's become a rich man's game down here with tickets costing over $50 a piece.  Unlike the NFL, to me the NHL's best viewed live.  The NFL I'd rather watch from home (Personal preference).  Their tickets are even more, but then again they're a winner too.  I dunno.

I'm just discouraged I guess.  I do miss hockey though because College doesn't get much TV time around here, and lower leagues get zilch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 2, 2004, 09:11 PM »
The league has accepted an invitation from the NHLPA to meet next week sometime to negotiate.  The PA says they have a deal they are ready to present that will end the lockout.  Let's keep our fingers crossed. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #358 on: December 2, 2004, 11:19 PM »
It's all just showing off...  The peacocks are strutting.

The league's doing its thing, the players are doing theirs.  And in the end, both of them are the downfall of the NHL as a lucrative, fair, and entertaining entity.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #359 on: December 3, 2004, 01:59 AM »
It's all just showing off...  The peacocks are strutting.

The league's doing its thing, the players are doing theirs.  And in the end, both of them are the downfall of the NHL as a lucrative, fair, and entertaining entity.

Just one problem with that JJ, the league is not lucrative nor fair. Most of these teams are losing money due to the high salaries, I believe 75% of all revenue goes into salaries. Don't be surprised if a deal is not reached, that the owners will just say "screw it! we're opening the league up for the 2005-06 without the NHLPA. anyone who wants to play can do so on our terms, otherwise we'll be utilizing AHL and European players"
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot