Author Topic: Quittin' RS Customs Board  (Read 12968 times)

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
Quittin' RS Customs Board
« on: December 6, 2005, 10:11 AM »
Guys and Gals -

From now on, I'll be doing almost all of my posting here. The tone of some of the Noobs on RS has gotten embarassingly bad, and I've decided to leave it behind.

I'm only posting this b/c I want folks here to know the reason I'm no longer commenting there or posting my work there.

I'll still, of course, post comments and occassional work here to share with what seems like the last best haven for polite, informed, and interesting conversation and comments about SW customs. :)

That is all.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Quittin' RS Customs Board
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2005, 10:24 AM »
InRem, your feelings towards that place are part of an ever increasing crowd of people fed up with RS.  I've been very close to leaving there too.  It seemed the only section that hadn't been contaminated there with absolute chaos was the customs and custom dioramas sections, but now it's happening there too.  Sorry to hear - but you will ALWAYS have a good home here.

:P

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2005, 10:48 AM »
Thanks, CHEWIE. It's recent "comments" to some of your work that's been really ticking me off. People act like you owe them something, and when they don't like something they just trash it without explanation. I don't think that's what this whole exercise is about, so I'm not going to post my work there.

I'll still visit those boards, and to the extent I can't offer a comment here I'll do so there. But I'm not going to invest too much in that board.

I'm thankful for JD; I feel like most of the folks here understand manners and respect the hard work put into making custom little plastic men, droids, and aliens. :)

I just hope the mods here run a tighter ship if things start to slide over time as they have there.  8)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 6, 2005, 11:19 AM »
Funny, i was just thinking the same thing.
Scum was the first site i found about customizing, so it's been my home. I honestly didnt know there were more people like me that were changing their figures. I was glad/shocked to see the large community of folks doing the same thing i was doing. I learned all my current techniques from the folks that used to be there.

I stick around in case some of my favorite customizers retrun with new stuff.

But i am about ready to give up...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2005, 11:24 AM »
I'd mention something over there about it, but I'm sure it would result in a banning.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2005, 11:40 AM »
I'd mention something over there about it, but I'm sure it would result in a banning.

Which is ironic, actually. You don't often see real irony anymore. :)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #6 on: December 6, 2005, 11:54 AM »

I guarantee that if you weren't banned you'd end up on a watch list. ANYTHING relatively against Scum is not only locked, but deleted.

As far as Scum's custom section goes, I definitely agree with you. I am always willing to help out a newbie, but when they just say something extremely vague like "I want to make a figure need help" and then don't even post coherently, it gets very old.

I don't know about you, but it seems to me some of the replies people give to others in the customs section are just to raise post counts, and lack any real insight or suggestion. I try to point out two positive and one negative thing in each custom I see, because I know I would love constructive criticism on my customs. I know people on other forums regard Scum's custom section as having newbie comments, and that people just post "Great, awesome!" in each thread without looking at the figures. I really tried to stop posting in there unless I can give a long post, or if the poster asks for some ways to improve it.

CHEWIE, In Rem, and Glassman6, I LOVE all your customs and have many pictures of them saved on my computer, so if I don't always respond to one of your threads it usually means I think its great but don't want to soung like a broken record :P

I usually read the custom threads here, but rarely reply. I'll try to respond on here more. 

(end of rant)
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 6, 2005, 12:20 PM »
Well, this issue has been on my mind for a while, so I posted something over there about it. 

Just an observation here - I have noticed that recently there have been quite a few comments (usually by the newer crowd) that don't seem very helpful... more critical than anything.

Certain members act like you owe them something, and when they don't like something they just trash it without explanation. That isn't what the fun of customizing is supposed to be about and from some conversations over the past few months with some fellow customizers who have been around here for years, some have started to become disgusted with some of this action, and choose to post here less, which I don't like to see.

The feeling has begun to hit me too, that several people who come into here don't understand the manners or respect the hard work that 95% of us here put into our work. And then there are a select few who seem to think their work is better than everyone else's, which to me is a major turnoff and I can't even bear to look at some of your work - I am referring to people who never chat on here, other than to post a custom that we all know is going to ebay and all they write is "Enjoy!" ...conceit is a very negative attribute - nobody around here has made the "perfect" custom.

So, I ask for anyone who feels this way to not give up on this customizing community, and for the people who like to come in here and make critical statements without any sort of intelligence in your posting, to either grow up now, or come back later when you have matured some.

We don't need the Greeday's of the world, post padders, the bashers, or constant negativity in what many of us consider to be the holy section of this forum. We should work together to make this a better site, help each other, give constructive criticism, offer advice, communicate in a mature manner, and above all, enjoy and respect the work of everyone in this section.

Thanks Guys!

« Last Edit: December 6, 2005, 12:21 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: December 6, 2005, 12:37 PM »
Glad to see you started to realize what many of us did months ago. ;)

Justin is going to get banned again, and I think they might do it on purpose this time. If you say anything remotely negative about that place Philip and Dustin will delete the topic and immediately ban you.

I really don't miss that place.
"This is the way."

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 6, 2005, 12:38 PM »
While I given up on the custom board over there, in fairness, the diorama board is THRIVING with some amazing work by some new members.

I urge everyone here to check it out and reply.  The tone on that board is far more civil and supportive and the artists really do deserve a helluva lot of credit.  

So if you think the tone at RS is bad, then I would suggest showing those folks over there how it's done!  Drop by the diorama board and join the conversation!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2005, 12:40 PM »
While I given up on the custom board over there, in fairness, the diorama board is THRIVING with some amazing work by some new members.

I urge everyone here to check it out and reply.  The tone on that board is far more civil and supportive and the artists really do deserve a helluva lot of credit.  

So if you think the tone at RS is bad, then I would suggest showing those folks over there how it's done!  Drop by the diorama board and join the conversation!

Some of us aren't allowed to be over there anymore. ;)
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2005, 12:42 PM »
Well, hopefully I won't get banned there because that's not my intent.  I know some people don't care for the place, but I do still like the customizing sections there a lot.  I hope my post will be construed as trying to help things out there, not rip on anyone.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2005, 01:00 PM »
I don't think you will get banned; your thread is just trying to help people remember the focus of customizing and not really against Rebelscum or its staff.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #13 on: December 6, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Gotta say, its sort of sad to hear these comments.  I think no matter what, RS is going to be THE forums for SW and if you guys just cut and run because of idiot newbies you're only doing  a disservice to yourself.  If you don't like the posts or posters, don't reply to them.  Or, better yet, assert yourselves and set the newbs straight.  I've noticed a lot of people are claiming to move exclusively here but if you do that the idiots are going to just follow you.  I've noticed it here already that there's a few spelling and grammatically challenged newbs.  You're all better off just taking a stand at RS.

And, this is a little pet peeve of mine.  If a newbie poster (or anyone for that matter) puts forth a badly spelled or incoherent post, don't reply!  Just let it hang there like the piece of nonsense it is.  There's no motive for people to change their use of English if you treat it like it's valid and coherent.  Just let stupid and poorly worded posts hang there, let the idiots post pad with dumb comments but you don't have to enter the fray.  Hopefully, they'll either leave or brush up on their use of English.   You don't have to help the helpless.
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #14 on: December 6, 2005, 01:35 PM »
Owen -

I think you have a valid point, but the question for me is one of time and personal investment. I see serious problems with the tone of the boards at RS with little understanding or respect for the work that is actually posted. I've always had good luck with comments on my work, so it's not even about me. It's just that I feel like (and this is going to sound so awful) the folks over there aren't worth my taking the extra time to post my stuff and to reciprocate with the kinds of comments I like to leave. I try to put some thought into comments I leave and hopefully add to the conversation, but that's not a value of that board 80% of the time. I feel like JD has that value at its core.

If I thought slapping down the NooBs would help, I'd go after 'em. Aside from the time required to do that kind of housekeeping, I don't think it will change much. I think part of the problem there is the fact that RS is a central hub for so much SW conversation, it tends to net the good with the bad. Right now you kinda have to discover JD's custom forum through interest in the hobby, so RS filters a lot of the dregs before they get here...

I don't know. My patience is just exhausted. The dioramas section, though, is still quite good. :)

I certainly didn't mean to lead a revolt by my initial post. It was more a courtesy to the fine folks here to let them know what was up with me...