Author Topic: Why didn't the Geonosian Warriors fight?  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Why didn't the Geonosian Warriors fight?
« on: April 23, 2003, 08:22 PM »
An interesting question popped into my tiny brain today when I was thinking about the arena battle in AOTC.  Considering there were probably tens of thousands of Geonosian Warriors in attendance at the execution gone bad, why didn't any of them fight when all the Jedi subsequently showed up?  The Jedi just wound up fighting all the various droids.  I don't recall any of the Geonosian Warriors getting involved.  Are they just a bunch of chicken $h!t sissies, or what?  Did they all just bail the arena at the first sign of the Jedi?

Fighting on a level playing field with a bunch of droids would be way easier than fighting those same droids while getting attacked from above and all other angles by hundreds/thousands of flying Geonosian Warriors.  Bad tactical war strategy on their part for sure!

Or am I just completely missing or forgetting something?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Why didn't the Geonosian Warriors fight?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 01:12 AM »
Some Geonosians did, quite a few actually, but it appears to me the Geonosians were sliced through by Jedi 10x easier than the droids, so the loss of life probably drove them to just let the droids handle it...  And the droids did, till Yoda showed up with the Clone reinforcements.

Anakin killed countless Geonosians himself though, so I believe that was their thinking...  They build the droids to save sacrificing themselves anyway, let the droids fight.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 02:03 AM »
Huh.  That is interesting...  I don't recall any Geonosian Warriors fighting at all in the Arena battle come to think of it.  I'll have to check the DVD footage out again.  I realize the Jedi all showed up in the Arena stands with their lightsabers drawn, but it seems like shortly after that, they were all down on the Arena floor battling the droids.  Jesse, was there actual footage of them fighting in the Arena?

Obviously Anakin waxed a good many of them earlier on inside the droid factory area.  But I don't recall any other fighting with the Geo Warriors after that.  Weird...  Maybe they are total wussies!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 04:54 AM »
Yeah Mac,

There was at least the one with the gun as I recall, and a couple others I think bit the dust at some point during the battles opening moments.  I think for the most part they scattered once the battle REALLY opened up though as I recall.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2003, 04:22 PM »
This is one more reason why I think George Lucas is a bigot and only uses aliens to reinforce social and ethnic stereotypes.

Welcome to "Prejudice 101: They All Look The Same To Me." I'm Archie Bunker and I'll be your seminar host.

Sure, Geonosians all look the same. They're ugly little bug-like things, with about as much appeal to human eyes as a cockroach. The leader even speaks in an alien dialect that's a cross between some African tribal clicking sounds and the kind of flatulent squirts you'd expect to hear in one of them there Adam Sandler movies.

You see one shoot, you seen 'em all shoot. They're all bad. Just look at them. Your first instinct as a superior being is to step on them before they bite you 'cuz, hey, that's what bugs do.

Sure, there might be those pinko liberals that'll try to tell you this scene should be viewed more like an NFL game, with seats loaded with decent, upstanding blue-collar bug factory workers just kickin' back to watch some entertainment. Then ZOINKS out come the Jedi, and these innocent spectators just want out!

But that's not the case because this is a world created by your George Lucas here. He's the guy who is trying to get you to believe that because ONE Hutt is bad, they're ALL bad. And that even though there's not ONE shred of evidence in the movies to support the idea that Sandpeople are vicious monsters, they ARE because they LOOK like monsters. Even your negroes can't be trusted. Lando's a turncoat, there's something fishy about that Windu fella, and Panaka just disappeared, only to be replaced with another colored guy because... say it with me... they all look the same to me.
Post sober.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2003, 11:46 PM »
I dunno about your racial theory, but I always figured the better part of the Geonosians didn't fight simply because they weren't armed. They just came to see a show.

The few who did fight musta been stadium security or something.

As far as blacks' role in Star Wars and Lucas' suggested racism goes, thats an entirely different thread in of itself, and one that I will try to avoid. :-\

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2003, 07:01 PM »
I don't know what the timing was on this, but I remember when Poggle the Lesser said that he was going to order a retreat.  Didn't that happen the same time as the arena battle?
dustrho

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 05:02 PM »
well... the retreat order was AFTHER the arena ;)

and you see them fighting in the Cutted scenes on the DVD (not the Deleted Scenes menu, but in the documentairy: "State Of The Art: The Prevualisation Of Episode II", you will see they are just like in Galactic Battlegrounds ;), flying ;)

and you see one falling, on a very cool way ;)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 02:52 PM »
Yeah, there were some animatronics or something like that.  It had the Clonetroopers blasting at flying Geonosians overhead and falling.  I thought that would have been a good scene to throw in the film.  

I just thought the Geonosians in the arena were spectators and not a fighting force and they just fled for cover.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 03:03 PM »
I just thought the Geonosians in the arena were spectators and not a fighting force and they just fled for cover.

Yeah, good point.  I guess I was just thinking that as "Warriors", they just come packing some heat, but obviously since this was just a spectator event, they for the most part, were probably unarmed...

BUT, when the Geo "Warriors" bailed at the first site of the Jedi, they should've been haulin' butt to wherever their weapon stash was located and gotten back out into the heat of the battle ASAP.  That would've at least made some sense...  Sounds like this scenario was at least given some thought, with a scene shot but not included in the film.  Shoulda added it in there, me thinks!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 03:09 PM »
I guess I was just thinking that as "Warriors", they just come packing some heat, but obviously since this was just a spectator event, they for the most part, were probably unarmed...

Now if the Geonosians were Raiders fans, the Jedi would've been screwed.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 03:26 PM »
Now if the Geonosians were Raiders fans, the Jedi would've been screwed.

Most definitely!  All too true...   ;D

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2003, 12:31 AM »
I'm going out on a limb here, but seeing as how the Geonosians had a hive type society, they probably had different roles in the society, similar to a hive of bees.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2003, 02:49 PM »
There are actually quite a few examples of Geonosians fighting in the Arena:

1.  The Geonosians that man the sonic cannons.

2.  In the defensive circle when Mace says they will not be hostages for Dooku to barter, look at the sky, there are many Geonosians surrounding the Jedi with blasters trained on them.

3.  Obi Wan fights off 1 or 2 Geonosians when he's fighting the Reek

4.  All the Geonosians that attacked Anakin and Padme in the factory

5.  Several Geonosians are seen scampering up to Jedi with either blasters or electropoles, and die for their trouble.

Still and all, Poggle did declare he was going to send his warriors to hide in the mountain, but I guess a few didn't get the message  ;)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Sith Bounty Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hunting new figures daily
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 11:53 AM »
Because the Geonosian Warriors are weak.
Dont under estimate the power of a sith lord