Author Topic: Pearl Harbor  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Pearl Harbor
« on: December 7, 2005, 10:46 PM »
WEll my last thread of this got deleted and then Rob sent me a PM to make another one if I wanted so...well here it is with out any thing about who attacked who and so on.
(well JediMac said I could mention the Japanese so....heres an updated one)

I thought we should have a thread to commerate PearlHarbor.The day the Japanese attacked the Base pearl harbor.(no racisim intendened I know someone that has Japanese cousins.).over 2,090 sailors and soldiers died that fate fullday.and over 12 hundred wounded.

A sad day indeed
« Last Edit: December 7, 2005, 10:50 PM by NoMercyJoe »
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Pearl Harbor
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2005, 10:50 PM »
What's the actual anniversary date of that again?  Is it today?

It's kind of strange how little our generation really knows about, or remembers, that terrible day, yet how much of an impact 9/11 has had on all of us.  Makes you wonder what the next generations will remember about 9/11 as time passes by.  :-\

Horrible tragedies, both.  God rest their souls...
« Last Edit: December 7, 2005, 10:51 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2005, 10:51 PM »
yes it is today.Thats a good point....what will the next generations remember about 9/11?
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2005, 10:55 PM »
I know I won't raise my children to forget any of the events of our past, especialy Pearl Harbor, and 9/11.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2005, 10:58 PM »
tisk tisk you forgot to list d-day.(j/k.)
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2005, 12:02 AM »
Its sad that so many people don't release what today is.  I have tried to learn all I can of Pearl Harbor since its something of interest to me.  I hope one day to visit the sites of Pearl Harbor to give my thanks for those who fought there.  Its sad that many of the veterans of that attack and of that war are dying now from old age.  Just recently the last soilder of the Chirstmas Truce (WW1) passed away so this event will no longer have people who where there to tell the story (except through writtings and films).

I never knew both of my grandfathers since they died before I had the ablility to remember them but both enlisted after this attack and fought in WW2 wish I could of talk to them to get a knowlegde of what they first hand experince was about this attack.  I ended up knowing what they must of felt on 9/11 my generations Pearl Harbor. 

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2005, 01:32 AM »
Its sad that so many people don't release what today is.  I have tried to learn all I can of Pearl Harbor since its something of interest to me.  I hope one day to visit the sites of Pearl Harbor to give my thanks for those who fought there. 

It is an incredible place. I went once back when I was 7 and I had th egood fortune of being able to go back this summer. It really is a fantastic memorial, I spent almost all day there. And a whole lot of that time was spent on board the USS Missouri. It was absolutely incredible. I talked to Veteran who was on the Missouri and he told me some really cool stories, he showed me where it was hit by a kamikazee in some of the last days of the war. I highly recomend everyone goes ther at some poit if you can pony up the cash, for a plane ticket. It is well worth it.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2005, 01:36 AM »
December 7th, 7:55 a.m. is (If I'm not talking out my butt here) the exact time of the attack.

A sad day on one hand, a great day on the other because it marked the beginning of the end of World War II.  A Sleeping Giant (Dragon?) indeed.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2005, 05:36 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2005, 01:41 AM »
The History Channel had some really good Pearl Harbor Documentaries on today, like they usually do on days like today. I wish I would have remembered to post that earlier today.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Just to add on to Ryan's comment earlier.  If you ever get the chance to visit Pearl Harbor and see all the ships that were lost on that day and are memorials today I can't impress upon you enough to go!

I don't know about all the ships, but I do know that they were not able to recover all the bodies from the Arizona, so it's very similar to walking through Arlington Cemetary....another place I highly recommend going to see.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2005, 12:47 PM »
tisk tisk you forgot to list d-day.(j/k.)

I think what separates D-day from pearl harbor, 9-11 and the OK city bombing is that we were sitting ducks in those. At least D-day we were on the offensive( a necessary
offensive at that)

I just purchased a PS2 game called Heroes of the Pacific- I love it. It has a lotsa history reflected in the game. There's alot of war sims of actual Pacific theatre battles. I play it with my son- he's in shock and awe about how these things really transpired. I remind him about moments in the game like how the battle of midway was key to the turn of the war ect. He asks good questions like why the navy was borrowing army(p-38's) planes and where was the air force planes?- I told him the air force was part of the army and that that they weren't an independant service branch yet, ect.

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2005, 05:07 PM »
Yes alot of games desplay historic moments but never just like the real thing.IUt would be way too hard.(I think JessyJames mentioned this a few days? ago ?)
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 8, 2005, 05:15 PM »
Of course, neither can a movie no matter how good they make it...I know from personal experience. They just help us to Kind of remember our history

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 8, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Yes alot of games desplay historic moments but never just like the real thing.IUt would be way too hard.(I think JessyJames mentioned this a few days? ago ?)

Something like that Joe...  I made mention of the D-Day landings in the original Medal of Honor.  In the game you have a life meter, etc...  In real life, you have luck.  The game's realistic, but it really is far from real...  I forget why I was even mentioning that though somewhere else.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Aucassin

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 03:03 AM »
It is an incredible place. I went once back when I was 7 and I had th egood fortune of being able to go back this summer. It really is a fantastic memorial, I spent almost all day there. And a whole lot of that time was spent on board the USS Missouri. It was absolutely incredible. I talked to Veteran who was on the Missouri and he told me some really cool stories, he showed me where it was hit by a kamikazee in some of the last days of the war. I highly recomend everyone goes ther at some poit if you can pony up the cash, for a plane ticket. It is well worth it.

I was there this summer also, on September 11th, coincidentally. Because we were the first group there in the morning we were able to watch them raise a new flag. It was a wonderful, and sobering, experience. I was able to get several really good pictures of the ceremony too. I hope no one minds if I share a couple.

This is the new flag being unfurled:

And this is it after being raised, saluted and returned to half mast: