Author Topic: New Indy Toys - Rumors and Speculation!  (Read 86169 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: New Indy Toys - Rumors and Speculation!
« Reply #135 on: February 2, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Jesse, I think he's talking about just a German jeep.  Regardless of the name, which he might have gotten wrong, I think it's the one that went off the cliff.

This stuff sounds crazy cool.  Next we'll all be wanting the Crusade tank!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 3, 2008, 11:08 AM »
According to the Hasbro Q&A there won't be a Toht figure this year.  >:(  :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: February 3, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Yeah, I was talking about the vehicle that goes off a cliff in Raiders...  Those are German All Terrain Vehicles.  They seriously don't have much of a name beyond that.  Kubels are completely different vehilces made by Volkswagen...  The ones in Raiders were real.  I call them Staff Cars because of a use they saw often due to their more spacious designs, but they were used for just about everything, like Raiders.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 5, 2008, 10:23 PM »
I can't wait until April or May.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #139 on: April 5, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Curious response from Hasbro, regarding some future vehicles:

We haven't seen the Indy line at retail yet, and already interest is focussing beyond your initial offerings - specifically on vehicles. The 'Last Crusade Tank' and 'Raider's Flying Wing' - are these something you've considered producing? (TPU.co.uk, 04/04/08)

We are indeed considering the Flying Wing for the vehicle line and are looking at whether it can be done in our $19.99 assortment (if we did it, it would be in '09 at the earliest). However, the Tank is just too big to do in our $19.99 vehicle line. As we don't have another, higher priced assortment in the IJ line, this one will have to be a "wait and see" based on the response to the IJ line, and possibly tied to future movies if we can't get it done for this one. The entire IJ line will have a shelf-date of 5/1.

Now, I'm not a hardcore vehicle scale guy, but I'd figure the tank would be easier to do for $20 than the Flying Wing would.

But what I found most curious was the "possibly tied to future movies" part.  Did they just subconsciously let it slip that there may be more Indy flicks in the works?
« Last Edit: April 5, 2008, 09:06 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #140 on: April 5, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Good catch! An odd choice of words indeed.

Originally I was thinking that it was odd on another level: any future movies would be sequels, set after IV, so there'd be no reason we'd see Nazi tanks. Unless they're planning on just redecoing the toy as a Soviet tank and trying to pass it off that way. Then I thought they might be looking at more Young Indy stories that would potentially feature Nazis.

But then I realized it probably just meant utilizing a new movie launch to release some items tied to the previous episodes.

Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #141 on: April 5, 2008, 11:01 PM »
I really hate the way modern assortments work.   So you can't make the tank for 19.99...Make it 29.99!  Make it 39.99! It it really that complicated?  Does it really need an assortment?  Back in the vinatge Kenner days, it seemed that every toy cost what it cost.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: April 6, 2008, 02:35 AM »
I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that the reasons they'd consider the wing over the tank are these...

-The flying wing can be scaled down easier to fit the $20 assortment because it's essentially one shape you just need to make smaller.  Not much to it then.

-The tank's a more complex vehicle in design than the plane...  More possible moving parts and things, more overall "detail" you'd need to add to it perhaps. 

I'm just guessing on those things, but they seem feasible to me.

As far as the tank goes though, it's not really accurate to call it a "Nazi" tank since it was actually given to the Germans in TLC by the host country they were in (in exchange for a RR Phantom?).  Also, the tank is actually modeled after a "German Mk.7" tank from World War I, though Mk.7's were British tanks repainted by the Germans.

Either way, the tank's actually from a whole other era completely... 

Personally I think the tank makes more sense in the $20 scale because it is indeed smaller and it's more action-oriented what with the fist-fight on it, but Hasbro's mentioned somewhere in the past how they need to feasibly scale-down a ship or whatever so it looks believable, but fits the pricepoint...  Maybe that's playing into this?

The AT-AP is much more comical looking compared to a fighter for instance...  The tiny hatches and things really make it look silly to me by comparison.  Maybe that's a reasoning for this?

Either way, I agree with speedermike completely...  Why not just release a $30 assortment with some of the larger vehicles? 

As always the scale would be important to me, but hey at least it'd get the things out there to people who want them.

I think the flying wing will look odd myself since Indy and the German thug fight under it, but whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #143 on: April 6, 2008, 02:05 PM »
I think that the Nazis got to USE the tank in exchange for the Rolls...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: April 7, 2008, 02:07 AM »
Well, let's face it...  They broke it, they bought it.  You know Hitler got a bill one day for it and it said "paid...  One Rolls Royce Phantom...  Thanks!"

All the while he's wondering why he traded a WW1 tank for a RR...  What a tool!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #145 on: April 7, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Jesse, maybe we could formulate a question for the QnA about how assortments work, and if they seem to trap Hasbro into certain prices, as opposed to the products deciding the prices.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Confirmed for 2009?
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2008, 11:16 PM »
I finally had a chance this weekend to set up all of the IJ stuff, and it looks great all together.  I am really lookng forward to TLC, TOD and beyond.  So, what is confirmed for post TOD?

Toht (with alternate melting face rumored during this week's Q&A?)
Dietrich

That it so far?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #147 on: July 8, 2008, 08:39 PM »
I don't know if it's been discussed here or not, but some dude over at Rebelscum reported that the following are in Walmart*'s computer:

Marion
German Mechanic
Toht
German Outfit (Indy, right?)
Satipo (!)

And Dietrich was confirmed in a Q&A at some point.

Some fantastic figures on deck for next year--too bad they'll never see the light of day thanks to the first two waves clogging up pegs nationwide.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 8, 2008, 08:57 PM »
Sounds like a solid wave to me- The only figure I have no interest in is the German Disguise Indy.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 9, 2008, 12:27 AM »
Sounds like a solid wave to me- The only figure I have no interest in is the German Disguise Indy.

Ah, but you must as it was one of the vintage figures ;)

I don't know if it's been discussed here or not, but some dude over at Rebelscum reported that the following are in Walmart*'s computer:

Marion
German Mechanic
Toht
German Outfit (Indy, right?)
Satipo (!)

And Dietrich was confirmed in a Q&A at some point.

Some fantastic figures on deck for next year--too bad they'll never see the light of day thanks to the first two waves clogging up pegs nationwide.

Sadly, I fear you are correct sir.  If they go up for pre-order somewhere, I'll certainly jump on that right away.  That's a bloody stellar selection of figures.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.