Author Topic: Your idea of a good year - volume wise.  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Your idea of a good year - volume wise.
« on: May 30, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Personally, I think this year is just insane. Two years, back to back, with over 60 basic figures, lots of ships and lots of exclusives. For a movie year, I can see it, but now, it's just too much.

So what would you like to see released in any particular year? Do you like the current volume? would like to see less? a lot less?

I'd definitely like to see less. I think less than 50 basic figures a year, 6-8 VOTC styled, 4-5 ships and no more exclusives! :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 04:01 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Your idea of a good year - product wise.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Ideally:

20-25 New Figs
10-15 Repacks
3-5 Cinema Scene, Battle Pack
2-3 Ships
2-3 Deluxe or Beast Packs
2-3 Exclusive Figs

This is more than enough.  I would love to see the distribution like it was during the first few years of POTF2 (1995-1998) which somewhat mirrored my choices above.  Everything was plentiful and you had more than enough time to track everything down.

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
Re: Your idea of a good year - product wise.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Trust me, Anton, if you were not a completist, you would be wanting a lot more.  ;)
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
Re: Your idea of a good year - volume wise.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I do not mind the level of volume so far personally.  I see how completist and MOC collectors do though.  On average I have been buying half the figures in each wave and multiples of army builders.  I certaintly do not need to buy the same Vader 5 times.  Ironically I do not have it once.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 04:10 PM »
I'm fine with the volume this year.  Most of it is repacks anyway, that were $2 cheaper last year, so no reason for me to buy a repacked Chewbacca or "kicking" Obi Wan (or countless others).

Ideally, here's what I'd like to see this year instead.

- Battle of Carkoon (minus Barada and replaced with an all new alien)

- Battle Hoth (minus Rieeken and with a better SA Snowtrooper)

- Battle of Geonosis / Battle of Utapau

- Battle of Coruscant (this wave was fine)

- Battle of Tatooine / Escape from Mos Eisley (looks great to me)

- Battle of Endor (take out Palpatine and replace with VOTC Stormtrooper)

- Battle of Naboo (this sounds good)

- Battle of Yavin (sounds great, but add in a TIE Pilot)

Then don't forget the Ultra/Deluxe line, just 2-3 waves would have been great.

Plus one large bad ass all new vehicle and a nice playset and I'd be set.

And maybe some sort of army-builder wave to add in too.  Most of the repacks I could do without, but I don't mind them as I can pick up a few here and there for customs if I want to.

:)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 04:22 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Nice topic.  I could definitely stand a lot less product out there.  Of course, I/we don't have to buy everything, but that is easier said than done.  I've said before, I envy those first POTF2 years, where there was like 12-25 figures a year, some vehicles/beasts, and that is that.  Part of me has wanted there to just be a more limited line, along the lines of the VOTC/VTSC - but less expensive possibly - so we get great figures, less overall releases, and spread out a little bit.  I'm not usually a fan of all the repacks, unless it is stuff people had a tough time getting (or maybe weren't collecting yet), but the overall number of figures per year could be considerably smaller.  Also, I'd like to see some of the "other" lines (retail ones anyways) trimmed back a bit.  Everyone's tastes are different, but I wouldn't mind just seeing the 7" Unleashed continue running alongside the basic line in some capacity, and other than that, maybe some more Galactic Heroes.  The other stuff doesn't really interest me, but I know that it might interest someone else.  Going by numbers, I'd like to see things almost cut in half as far as the basic figures go.  Maybe something like this:

Basic Figures - Maybe about 30-40 per year, most to all of them new figures.  Repacks that make sense (VOTC/VTSC figures in particular, and other top notch ones from the other lines - Evo. Anakin/Maul/Vader, ROTS figures, etc.).  Otherwise, if we're really going to get limited, I wouldn't mind seeing a VOTC-styled line - maybe closer to 12-20 figures a year, which would make the $10 pricepoint easier to handle.  I know, I'd rather see the prices lower too, but I'm saying if this is our only option.

Vehicles/Beasts/Playsets - New ones are probably going to be few and far between, but 2-3 larger vehicles a year would be nice.  Maybe 1-2 could be repaints/repacks (again, that make sense - I'm personally looking forward to the rumored AT-AT, Snowspeeder, and Imp Shuttle because I missed them the first time), and maybe 1 new one a year would be realistic.  The $20 pricepoint ships are nice too, and can sell to the kiddos, so seeing that assortment continue would be good too.  Beasts don't seem to be a big priority anymore, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Rancor, Bantha, TaunTauns, etc. get re-released at the appropriate times.  A playset a year would be nice too, but probably unlikely.

Other Lines - Again, it depends on each person.  The top two (retail lines, that is, not including Gentle Giant, MR, etc.) to me are the 7" Unleashed, and the Galactic Heroes.  Here you have collectors and kids both covered, and in some cases, both.  Again, don't overdo the Unleashed - we don't need 20 of them a year, but having a few 3 figures assortments in a year wouldn't be so bad.  Galactic Heroes could be a little higher volume, since it is a relatively inexpensive (and small) line, although throwing a new ship or two into the line would be ok.

Exclusives - They can be a headache, but it is a way to get some other things we don't always see.  Maybe some special figures here and there, preferrably repaints/holos if they are going to charge $13 or more for them.  Sure, new figures are always better, but if we would - for instance - see a BARC trooper as an exclusive - I think we'd all be upset.  Stick to things like the Shadow Stormtrooper and other repaints.  Other than that, maybe vehicles/playsets/beasts would be good options in some cases.  I also liked the glass sets, but I know some people have had more than enough of those.  Plus, they could drop the figure and offer them cheaper.  Maybe 3 packs of glasses for $10 instead or something.  I'd also like to see things like the Rebo band again, whether it is exclusive or in the basic line.  Maybe a nice box set that includes the whole thing together - the battle packs from this year aren't a bad idea - depending on the choices.  You could set up some nice $20 battle packs with some nice choices.  Just some ideas, I'm sure there are better.

Overall, yeah, I'd like to see things scale back a little bit.  2005 was my worst year ever for spending, and I thought this year would be better.  It is, so far, but it isn't as much as I thought it would be.  There just seems to be a general feeling of being overwhelmed for me, but that might just be me.  Less figures overall, but more new figures, and a nice steady release schedule throughout the year.  I could go with an average of 3 figures a month, or around 36 a year - especially if the brand in general is scaled back.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 04:17 PM by Brian »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 04:18 PM »
I like everything and..money isn't an issue for buying what I want this year but....
I have to be realistic...for a non-movie year I'm concerned about Hasbro's/Retailers' direction. I like to be able to buy new product annually but sincerely hope Hasbro won't shoot itself in the foot overproducing this year so kill the line later. Even though between myself and my co-collector brother we can buy whatever we want from Hasbro it sure would be nice to save some collecting time and money to use elsewhere. I DO have other hobbies I could spend it on. It doesn't help either when WOTC decides to put out 3, yes-3!, new SW related miniatures sets this year >:(.

My Idea of a relaxing non-movie year....

From Hasbro:
25-50  basic figures
1 or 2 exclusives around or near holidays
4-5 vehicles new OR repainted well
5-8 7in. Unleashed figures

From WOTC:
1 miniatures set

If set-up like this I could do more fishing, Drawing, sculpting, bowling and work with my aquariums more :-\    

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Quote from: CHEWIE
- Battle of Coruscant (this wave was fine)

-[quote

I beg to differ Chewie since battle of Coruscant has released, H&V has hit, and now Tatooine and VTSC and various other exclusives and I still have yet to even see a Cody, much less have one, on the shelf.  I've bascially all but given up and will soon resort to either trades or EVIL Bay.  Sorry frustrated  :P
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge