Author Topic: Commtech Stormtrooper Issues  (Read 8282 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Commtech Stormtrooper Issues
« on: December 23, 2005, 07:36 AM »
The CT Stormie is probably one of the most produced figures in the modern line...  It's been seen repacked a number of times, it was in the popular 4-pack army builder sets...  It's just a figure that's seen lots of production.

So I was going through my CT Stormies tonight doing a count on them and I have over 80 which I was surprised I didn't have 100.  Kind of made me feel like I am a bit lazy but that's neither here nor there...  My VOTC Stormies put me over 100 so that's cool.

The CT stormie rocked but I noticed something about the original figure...  The temperature change "deco" on the chest is prone to yellowing.  Not all of mine are, but a few were yellowing I noticed and they've been kept in an absolutely perfect environment (no smoking, etc.).  I'm sure it's just the make up of the decoration itself...  It's yellowing somewhat to how a decal yellows on model kits, and really the way it's applied it looks like it was some kind of a decal (there's even a clear film surrounding where the blast mark is).

Anyone else noticing this anyway?  It's not major, and my figures aren't yellowing at the limbs and things, but it's just surprising to me a bit.

BTW 80 figures is impressive...  Some are still in their white mailer boxes but I have 60 opened and once I get some hands casted for them (and lop off the stuck hands) this figure will be 100 times better.  I put some spare Clone hands on a CT Stormie and it really does improve the figure completely.  A total 180 in quality.  No VOTC, but a good passable figure and army builder. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
Re: Commtech Stormtrooper Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:24 AM »
I do not have as many, I think 40 to 50 tops but I have about 30 of them displayed.  I have not noticed any yellowing but I only displayed most of them sometime last year.  Before that I had them in their blisters and white mailers. 

What I have noticed is the damage blaster mark is on all the time on about 5 of them.   It looks like they got shoot while I was in the other room ala Toy Story. 

Some of them have the damage on and when I rub my fingers over it, it goes away but others stay damaged.

Seriously I have permanent battle damaged CT stormies.

What's the deal?
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Some of mine have discolored. I'd like to find a way to remove the battle damage and I think Jared has found just the right remover to do so.

Incidently, I opened one of my 4-packs and a commtech last night. I have over 50. When adding my VOTC's. I have over a 100 stormies as well.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 01:50 AM »
Goof Off would take that off right away, but be wary, it'll eat plastic if you're not careful too.  It takes any paint off thought Anton, just be careful.  I use it all the time.  I take unit insignias off some of my XD figures with it too, and they're a similar material to the blast mark I believe (a decal).

As far as getting the blast damage tod isappear, mine all disappear, so that's a weird one...  I do have a spot here and there that won't disappear.  I figure it's a manufacturing defect with the decal...  It's my only guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Errex

• Youngling
  • Gra'tua Cuun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 10:24 AM »
I have only one of the CT ones, and the blaster damage has always been somewhat evident on mine, although it hasn't turned noticeably yellow-er over time.

I got an OTC one last year, and it was kinda disapointing that it didn't had the blaster damage feature anymore.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 12:31 AM »
This stormie is a model for updated version of storm troopers. :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 12:05 AM »
I have MOC Stormie that's been kept stored in a basement for about five years. Well, the blast mark is viewable all the time, even after I put it on display and let it warm up.  :-\
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Here's a wierd side issue, I still have several that I haven't opened yet. I recently repacked the box they were in and noticed about half of them now have yellow bubbles. ???
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 12:46 AM »
I recently repacked the box they were in and noticed about half of them now have yellow bubbles. ???

There seem to be more and more stories of POTF2 figures with yellow bubbles.  It's always strange to hear this happening with figures that are kept in storage -- I guess there's factors besides sunlight that affect the bubbles.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 09:56 AM »
My guess is that it's the grade of plastic used from plant to plant.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 09:03 PM »
I have MOC Stormie that's been kept stored in a basement for about five years. Well, the blast mark is viewable all the time, even after I put it on display and let it warm up. :-\

I was doing a little re-arranging in my SW Room tonight and I noticed that a few (not all) of my CT Stormies have started this same thing now...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender