Author Topic: Battle of Carkoon Wave  (Read 50520 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Carkoon Wave
« Reply #105 on: October 7, 2005, 06:48 AM »
Like I said before, I too like these mini holos. I only hope they do holos of Stormies, Imp. Officers, Palpatines, Vaders, because I don't want a grand army of holo Rancor Keepers and Nien Nunbs... :P

Looking at the EE picture...

Boushh- Looks like the winner of the bunch. Looks fairly SA and a cool accesory.
Han Carbonite- Looks like decent articulation, and sculpt wise, one of the best.
Bib Fortuna- Again, looks like a great sculpt, far superior to the POTF2 one. And that knive accesory looks uber-cool.
Chewie- Looks like a repack to me, but looks like new paint and chain. And probably a bowcaster.
Boba- Repack, but does he have new articulated knees? Or are those on the first release?
Barada- Again, repack, but the only one I'll probably get. He's cool. 8)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 7, 2005, 07:44 AM »
Why the hell does Hasbro keep packing such messed up cases?  This wave had the perfect opportunity to pack 2 of each fig and make equal quantities for everyone.  I was looking forward to buy a case and be done with this wave but not at the ratio it is.

Han x 3
Chewie x 1
Barada x 1
Leia x 2
Bib x 2
Fett x 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 7, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Although I'm a little disappointed that there appears to be no knee articulation on the Han, overall I'm kind of excited for this wave.  It might be the combination of anticipating some new OT product, and also including three figures that I've wanted to see re-done for awhile.  To be honest, I'll probably end up buying all but the Fett...which should have/could have been the VOTC version.  The Boussh Leia looks like the winner of the group, Han's sculpt looks good, but lacking articulation, Fortuna is a figure that really needed to be re-done...we'll have to see about the fact.  As far as the repacked figures, well, I missed Barada the first time so I'll probably pick that figure up.  I have 2 or 3 of that Chewie, but it looks like a nice repaint maybe, and I'd like to have a version with a chain like that.

As far as the Holos...as long as it doesn't jack the price up, they seem like cool little add ons.  If they are randomly packed, I'm sure they are going to be a big pain in the ass for completists, which is too bad.  Otherwise, it might be something neat...especially if things stay at the $4.77-$5 pricepoint.  I'm looking forward to this line, hopefully we'll get more names/confirmations thrown around for the future waves now...I believe Hoth is the 2nd wave of 2006...lots of potential there.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #108 on: October 7, 2005, 10:20 AM »
That repacked Fett will probably warm the pegs like ******* crazy!  :-\
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: October 7, 2005, 10:54 AM »
especially if things stay at the $4.77-$5 pricepoint. 

I have a funny feeling that after Christmas brings a close to this movie year, the $5 price-point might disappear for a while...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 7, 2005, 12:35 PM »
I think the repack ratio is actually pretty good.  Why would we need 3 each of Barada and Chewbacca in a case?  Each have already been made at least twice, and if you produce as many of the Han, Leia and Bib, then you're creating a peg warming problem.  Fett though I think should be 2 per case, and Leia 3 instead of 2.  To me though, they're finally getting it right.

:P

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 7, 2005, 01:03 PM »
I think the repack ratio is actually pretty good.  Why would we need 3 each of Barada and Chewbacca in a case?  Each have already been made at least twice, and if you produce as many of the Han, Leia and Bib, then you're creating a peg warming problem.  Fett though I think should be 2 per case, and Leia 3 instead of 2.  To me though, they're finally getting it right.

No reason for three of any fig.  Why would we need 3 Baradas or Chewies?  My point is that 2 of each fig would of made an even ratio for all the figs.  Sets would of been easier to track down and more cases would of been sold through etailers like EE to collecgtors.  Im sure people have rethought about buying cases because of the ratios. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 7, 2005, 01:37 PM »
They all look really nice except for Chewie - if I remember correctly, he was from the POTF2 FF days when his scale (not just height) was way off. 

He's definitely the loser of the wave - from a collector POV.

I had a blast collecting the entire OTC line (I kept them all carded vs. my normal collecting habits) and I'm contemplating how I will handle this new Saga line - I love the packaging but don't think I can afford to continue to buy every single rehash.

Maybe I'll just buy the ones I like - continuing my method of madness.

If I proceed with that method, I only like Leia, Han and Bib.

The others I already have loose....the packaging will be my downfall... :-[

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: October 7, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Chewbacca isn't the POTF2 figure, he's the POTJ Mechanic figure.  He's to-scale, but VOTC Chewie is a FAR better figure in every sense.  If you have an extra of that, all you'll need off this is the chain.

Mechanic Chewie can't even put his arms down.  He'll look goofy I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 7, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Gotcha - thanks for clearing that one up.  I still think I'll pass!   8)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 7, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Jim, I guess from my perspective as a loose collector, I am glad the ratio is being the way it is.  Here is what I plan on getting from it -

Han Solo - 4 of them
Leia - 2 of them
Bib - 4 of them
Barada - 1 or none
Chewbacca - 1
Fett - none

The ones that I want multiples of are for dioramas and customizing.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: October 7, 2005, 03:47 PM »
I went ahead and grabbed a case via pre-order to practice the fine art of "CYA" (we all know what a wasteland retail can be post-christmas  ::)).

Hopefully they get here sooner than that, like November maybe?   ;D

As far as the case assortment, it seems pretty good to me.  I'm thinking I'll grab 1 each to keep carded and then grab an extra of each of the "new" figures (Han, Leia, Bib) to open.  That just leaves me with 1x extra Han and 2x extra Fetts, not too bad I guess.  Would have been nice to have an extra Leia instead of all the Fetts, but oh well.

At first, I was thinking I might need to buy an opener for the other 3 in the wave, but they didn't impress me...

- A yellow-shirt Barada would have been a keeper, but this repack is too close to the other 2 we've had.
- The metal chain isn't enough to get me to buy yet another PotJ Mechanic Chewie
- Pit of Carkoon Fett?  Again?  No need for another opener of that one
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 7, 2005, 04:49 PM »
While I would normally agree with Jim on the 2 per of each of the 6 figures, with half of these being repacks, I'd be downright ruthless with the new figures getting more case real estate.

In my world, the case would be:

3 x Han Solo in Carbonite
3 x Princess Leia in Boussh Disguise
3 x Bib Fortuna
1 x Boba Fett
1 x Chewbacca
1 x Barada

I don't think there is any reason for Barada to ever be packed at more than one per case.  It's an alien design that is hardly even visible in the film itself, it has no real changes made to it from previous versions, and those two previous versions have both been blown out at rock bottom prices in the clearance aisles of various stores (you can still get the Battle of Carkoon TRU 5-pack for about 8 bucks at some TRUs and on Amazon from time to time).  That particular Fett's been done to death (this will make his fourth card appearance since 2003), and the Chewbacca has since been done far better.  Why ship more pegwarmers (maybe Fett wouldn't) when you could ship more figures that are brand new?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 7, 2005, 05:12 PM »
You know, the case breakdown is not that bad.

Fett always sells - casual collectors, kids and completists will buy him.  I've never seen Boba warms the pegs, from POTF2 to OTC (minus the young version)!

Barada makes sense as a 1 per - not known to kids or casuals.

Chewie, I think, is short packed - he's a main character that everyone likes.

Han makes sense as 3 per case for the above reason.

Bib and Leia work as 2 pers, but I think they will be fast to fly off the pegs as they are very nice sculpts that most collectors will be clamoring for (only because of the openers)!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #119 on: October 7, 2005, 11:49 PM »
If this type of repack/new figure ratio holds, I can look to cut my SW spending by 50%. Most excellent.

I might stop altogether after these, unless the Hoth wave is really cool looking.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk