Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS  (Read 31627 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS
« Reply #15 on: January 3, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Here's a quick WIP update on my project for this month.

The top piece has Vader in it to show the size of the base piece.  There will be modular walls added to it.

The bottom pic shows the belly of the diorama, there are several supports given to it and a frame too, to keep the diorama from warping.

More to come soon hopefully!

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2006, 02:45 AM »
I just made up a very rough sketch of my Strip Club/Cantina tonight.

I'm going to throw up a few holoscreens behind the main bar so that the patrons can catch up on the podracing and stuff. I think I'l try and make another stripper or two and a barender, and 2 bouncers. It will be about 21" wide by 11" deep by 11" tall.

CHEWIE you are off to a really good start, any clue to what it will be? I think you told me but I forgot already. I love that other modular dio, the weathering is great. It is pefrect for multiple CW settings.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Ryan, that is outstanding looking!  What a cool design and idea.  As for mine, I'm going to be making it into a base for the Badoo Corba for the next Rykrof Enloe photonovel.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2006, 11:00 AM »
A couple things -

1.  Between being sick and the holiday schedule, I didn't have a chance to pimp out the Rebel Troopers challenge ending until today.  Sorry about that.   :-[  Back on track I hope this month...

2.  OK, I'd really like to participate this time, but I have NEVER attempted anything like this before, so be prepared for lots of newbie dio-building questions...  :P

3.  Ryan, I like where your set is headed...  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Jeff, thanks for the front page mention, I always hope that will attract a new member or two to try out customizing with us.

On the foamcore, it's pretty easy to work with, at least shaping it is.  I would say make sure you have a nice workspace to make some cuts on it with some exacto knifes (maybe an old junk table) and a hot glue gun for starters.  And of course a ruler to make measurements. 

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 6, 2006, 05:52 PM »
Im not entirely sure Im ready for this yet, but with 2 months to do it I may end up participating. The strip club idea sounds great I cant wait to see it when its done. And yes I am ashamed of myself because of it. ;D

Offline bocrebjedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Gonk. Gonk. Gonk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2006, 11:47 PM »
Not sure if I'll have time to participate in this one, but I might at least start on some diorama ideas I have and show my wip.

My idea is to use wood bases which would be able to connect to one another.
                        (peg)  _ ___l    (peg)
                                     l     l
                                     l__ l_   (peg)   
                         (peg)   l 

That's a general diagram of the base and peg layout.  The wood would be 2'x2' squares.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: January 7, 2006, 06:47 AM »
I got most of the foam core cut tonight, including two of those curvy stage pieces, they were pretty tough to get them right. I had to print out the arcs on 4 seperate pices of paper and tape them together then onto the foamcore. Then I cut around that line with a really sharp blade. With a little sanding I was able to get it really close to the right shape. My early size estimate turned out to be reall far off. It is going to be quite a bit bigger. It now measures 34" wide by 20" deep and is 12" tall. Tomorrow should be a good day, I can just sit back watch some football while I build a strip club, everyguy's dream. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries. Remember these don't have to be huge, mini-dioramas work just as well. :)

We need a group vote. Do we make this a 2 Month challenge, or just a single month? All in favor 2 months vote Yay, all against vote nay.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Darth_Ennis - Take your time buddy, whatever you do is fine, but I hope you can add something to it.  I always enjoy your work.

bocrebjedi - Hopefully you can contribute too, I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing you come up with something.

Ryan - Wow, your strip club is going to be cool.  Are you going to make any strippers for it I hope?  Dumb question probably.   ;)

As for a 1 vs. 2 month project, I get the feeling most people want to make it a 2-month deal.  That's fine with me, but I will most likely make two projects then, one for each month. 

How about this - make it a 2 month project, with an intermission at the middle - you should show at the end of January what you have done.  If you are complete by then and you are up for it, make something else for February and you can be twice as cool.   8)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2006, 07:03 PM »

As for a 1 vs. 2 month project, I get the feeling most people want to make it a 2-month deal.  That's fine with me, but I will most likely make two projects then, one for each month. 

How about this - make it a 2 month project, with an intermission at the middle - you should show at the end of January what you have done.  If you are complete by then and you are up for it, make something else for February and you can be twice as cool.   8)

Works for me. :)

I've still got my Stripper from the first month of the CCC, and I'll try and make another couple, esspecially since this is a double month. I'm going to try and make a Bartender, and a bouncer or two as well if I have time. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: January 8, 2006, 05:13 PM »
I've only been working on this dio for 3 days now, and I've already spent $60 on it. :-X

I decided that I could spend a little more than I should on it, so I bought a big sheet of red velvet today to use as carpet. I also bought some Chrome paint for the stage, as well as some brass tubing to use for the poles.

I've almost got the prefab done, I just have to finish assembling the stage and glue on the back wall and one side wall, Then I can begin painting and building the bar stools, booths, "TVs," and all the stuff behind the bar.

Does anyone know the best way to attatch the velvet to foamcore without the glue showing through?
« Last Edit: January 8, 2006, 11:21 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #26 on: January 8, 2006, 10:07 PM »
hmmm well u could apply a small amount of hot glue to the surfaces your attaching anf the you could shave it off wiht an exacto when it cools.

or you could use a small amount of hot glue and connect them at a seam where itll never see the light of day

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 8, 2006, 10:56 PM »
I'm thinking about building a small backdrop diorama set-up using form core.  However, I don't already own a glue gun and I'm not sure I want to invest.  Do you guys have any luck with regular superglue or elmers glue?  What else would you recommend?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: January 8, 2006, 11:20 PM »
I'm thinking about building a small backdrop diorama set-up using form core.  However, I don't already own a glue gun and I'm not sure I want to invest.  Do you guys have any luck with regular superglue or elmers glue?  What else would you recommend?

You can actually get a decent glue gun fro $10 or less, it is a handy thing to have.
"This is the way."

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 9, 2006, 04:25 PM »
yeah,I got my glue gun hobby knife and extra blades all together for less than 20$.
Cheers!

- Joe