Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS  (Read 31622 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 12:13 AM »
I would go with the glue gun - it's well worth the investment.  And it will save you hours of workl.  Many, many hours and will make your life easier. 

Anyways, I finished mine tonight.  I would have waited, but since this is a two month thing, and some people are new at these, I felt it best to post something right away.  I'll probably make 1-2 more before the end of February.

It's modular and I might make a few more changes to it.  Here is is with some figures populating it.  Remember it's modular so it can be arranged in many different ways, kind of like modulal movie sets as essentially it's for a photonovel.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 12:46 AM »
Wow that turned out great! The weathering is excellent. The greeblies on the tower look very nice as well. So what else do you have planned for your other dios?
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2006, 10:34 AM »
Thanks Ryan.  Since it's modular, and essentially a "temporary" diorama, there may be some changes to it.  The back sides of the walls still need to be designed and painted so they can be switched around.  Think of it more as a cheap movie set.   ;)

For my next one, I won't start it for a few weeks probably.  I'm not sure if I want to redo my cantina, or possibly Jabba's Palace, or maybe instead Mos Eisely.  I want to do a movie scene though.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006, 03:50 PM »
Well, I just finsished spraypainting my foamcore 194th bunker. Not really sure what it's use is, it's more of a practice one on account of it's the first. It's drying, and I still have to add accesories/weathering, etc.

EDIT**- Here it is:

Here's a diorama and my entry for the Custom Challenge. It's my first ever, built out of Fome-cor.

The bunker is called the Portable Armored Command Center (PACC) and can be brought into battle by an LAAT, the ones used to carry the AT-TE's in combat.

Well, I hope you like it. LMK what you think, all comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:23 PM by Darth Nirvana »
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Okay, you've convinced me that I need to invest in a glue gun.  I went to Michael's and there were several models.  What is recommended - "Full Size" or "Mini"  (both gun size and glue size) also Cordless or Corded.  What do you think???  Thanks

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 09:26 PM »
I use a full size, corded. That's what I prefer, the glue sticks are bigger and last longer, it doesn't need batteries. Mine is also a dual heat so Ican set it for high or low, I like that a lot as well, because I can change the heat dependeing on the material.
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Nirvana, I love the little bunker. I like the accessories you got out front but perhaps you can replace them with something less "earthy"?  The weathering looks pretty good, perhaps you could add some carbon scoring with a lighter?

This will definitely look great in some of your stories. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 02:10 PM »
My little mustafu playset using foam core and the ahsbro play set it finished and needs to be painted....I should have pics up in a day or 2.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 04:57 PM »
So is anyone else working on anything?

I've got most of the base coats of paint done. I've got the little outside portion all done. I put on some spray texture, knocked it down, primed it, and gave it a base coat of taupe (tanish concrete-like color.) Then I gave it a black wash to help highlight the texture. I've got the interior walls painted, they might need another coat though. I also got my stage all chromed out, I didn't quite dust the surface good enough before I painted so there are some speckels, which kinda sucks. I'm going to try and get my carpeting cut and glue in the next few days. I've been working on the Tables and the booths, for the privacy booths, the tables are made out of styrene and the booths have a foamcore frame and sculpey cushions. I can't decide what to do for the barstools. i have some wooden dowels that would work well for the post, I just need to find something for seat. I don't know if I want to make 18 individually or make about 3 and cast them...
"This is the way."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Film canister lids! Go to your local school or photo-lab, and see about obtaining them from a class or just as garbage.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 09:29 PM »
I am taking a stab at this challenge…

The trade federation scene when Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan confront the droidekas and attempt to burn through the door… WIP pictures soon.

;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 11:26 PM »
If I can find the time, I make try something small.  I'm really just looking for a backdrop that I can use to take pictures of my customs against.  I'd love to take a crack at the Jedi Council Chamber, but seeing how I've never worked with foam core (or any other diorama material) I'm not ready to dive into a project quite that large  :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2006, 12:09 PM »
You know, this was on my "to do" list eventually.  But it seems like Pride Displays is doing something good here that Hasbro's missed the boat on.  I hope those "rock" pieces are removable on the sides, it looks like they are, as is the front Mustafar piece.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2006, 12:40 PM »
I can't decide what to do for the barstools. i have some wooden dowels that would work well for the post, I just need to find something for seat. I don't know if I want to make 18 individually or make about 3 and cast them..

Some craft stores have hole punchers strong enough and large enough to punch a hole in styrene up to .040" thick.  That way you'd get a nice, clean circle or square shaped seat.  You usually find the hole punchers in the scrapbooking section.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2006, 01:44 PM »
When is the deadline for this project?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 01:44 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram