Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS  (Read 31621 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2006, 11:52 AM »
Wow, first time I have ventured into this thread, and... wow. These are some great looking set-ups, and Jay you are a damn action-figure artist. Very impressive...

Thanks, the best part was hacking up those ****** EI Battle Droids and painting them to look as if sliced by lightsabers! Fun stuff  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:53 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2006, 01:55 PM »
amazing & Very Cool! i love the amount or detail you paid attention to.
-Dhivael

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2006, 09:52 AM »
2.  OK, I'd really like to participate this time, but I have NEVER attempted anything like this before, so be prepared for lots of newbie dio-building questions...  :P

Wow, did I not even try this time.  My life has been so hectic the last few months, my little Diorama Plan is just sitting there pretty much in the same shape it was 6 weeks weeks ago.   :-\

Ah well, I guess I'll press on and hopefully have it done by the next time we get back to this topic.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2006, 01:15 AM »
I know how you feel Jeff... I better make some serious progress tomorrow.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2006, 01:41 AM »
I've made some good progress today. I got the poles installed as well as the walls. And it has been repainted so it isn't so bright.

All that is left is to furnish it. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 02:42 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2006, 05:38 AM »
We've only got 3 days left, I kne it was getting towards the end of the month but damn. February flew by quick. I better get working these next few days.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2006, 01:01 AM »
Well I worked on this ALL DAY.  It was a pain in the ass but now I'm glad it's done.  I wouldn't think something like this would take so long but it did.  For some upcoming photonovels I need more sets made so I worked on this one, a room that could be used for just about anything inside a Coruscant building.

parts used -

frame - wood (a mail file box to be exact)
foamcore - for support walls
basel wood - for the lower parts of the walls to make them appear thicker
textured posterboard - for the floor and the red walls
tacky glue and hot glue - to hold things together

After it was done, I was more happy with it that I feared I would be as I was expecting a disaster, with damn phone ringing all day, my dogs running around like crazy, and one of my friends wanting to have a drink.  Grrrr.  But I got it done. 

Here's an example or two of what it could be used for -

I hope tomorrow now to be able to work on another figure for the Clone Wars Group Project.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2006, 05:11 AM »
For something rather simple looking that turned out really good. It really looks like it would fit in on Coruscant. I think you should be able to get lots of mileage out of it too. Just by changing the furniture around a bit you can make it look like a completely different room. Nice work Justin. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:49 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Thanks Ryan.  Yeah it looks really simple but for some reason was a lot more difficult and time consuming that the other little sets, since those don't need to try and have a clean look to them or nice dimensions.  With places like Coruscant, Kamino and Bespin it seems as though eveything needs to look perfect or it looks sloppy!  You're right, I can move different pieces of furniture around in it to give it a fresh look and with the "lip" wall border, I can even make removable wall fixtures.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2006, 03:09 AM »
Well crap. I'm going to be a few days late for sure. I had a basketball game tonight, then I was dead tired and I didn't get any work done. I also have a take home essy test due Thursday so I've got to do that tomorrow night.  Hopefully by the end of the weekend I should be done. :-\
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2006, 03:17 AM »
We can forgive you for slacking I suppose.   ::)

Just kidding of course.  Take your time, this one was two months but heck these things, especially dioramas take longer than expected usually.  Personal stuff comes first and foremost.   :)

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2006, 10:14 AM »
I actually get to particpate on a project with everyone here -- I've finished this in January, but my life has gotten so crazy, I never had a chance to post it, until now!  It's more of a display than a playset but I needed a single shelf design for my Clone Wars figures.  I had been trying to keep them all carded, but since Hasbro decided to include "new" sculpts in 3 packs, it ruined my display plans.

I wanted something that conveyed unique locations from the Clone Wars cartoon, but still created a unified look across the set.  This is one of my few projects using foamcore (I typically prefer wood) but given the printed images, it seemed like the best material.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2006, 02:31 PM »
tykrazen - I love the CW display.  I may steal this idea for my son's room.  We painted his room with Toon style SW characters.  I've also recently dug out all my animated figures and decided to open them to display in his room.  My wife won't let me have a SW room for me, but his room is fair game!

I never got to trying my hand at a Diorama.  I really need to break into this.  I've got some simple backdrops that I would need for the photonovel I'm mulling around.  Ah, so many ideas, so little time....

I'm looking forward to seeing everyones finished products!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Tykrazen, as simple as that might look, it's awesome... I really can't think of a much better way to display the Animated figures.  You need to try and convince Glassman to cast an animated Roron Cobb and Padme for you.   ;)

I like the overall look of this a lot, it really captures the feel of the cartoon.  Makes me wonder why they didn't make a cartoon version of Palpatine, a Battle Droid and Padme.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #89 on: March 1, 2006, 09:40 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.  When I do finally get back to having free time again and can return to the site, I intend to post the plans and necessary image files for this display at theJawa for others to use.

As for Glassman's Roron I've already been talking with him :).  Pitty this is the first one he didn't create molds for his head sculpt.

As for the skipped characters, I think it was a risky line for Hasbro to create and given their desire to keep it a contained line, it's hard to find room to add those other figures.  Although I really wanted some battledroids.