Author Topic: Sideshow 12" Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)  (Read 39551 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Sideshow 12" Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
« on: December 30, 2005, 05:38 AM »
Sneaky Peeky…

http://sideshow.directtrack.com/z/10140/CD996/&l=43415

It's a better likeness than the Anakin version. He shall be mine. Oh, yes. He shall be mine.

Just modified your linky - Jesse   :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:51 AM by JesseVader08 »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Sideshow 12" Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 07:43 AM »
I agree that this one is better than the Anakin figure they recently put up for pre-order.  Everytime I see a new one of these I wish I had quit with Hasbro's dolls a long time ago so I could have collected this line.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 05:35 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 11:33 AM »
His tunic is the wrong color.  In the Sideshow photo it looks white, as opposed to beige.  It looks more like the color outfit he wore in E1.

I looked closely at a lot of Sideshow figures at a collector shop the other day and I wasn't too impressed by the faces.  Sure, they're better than Hasbro's, but they still seemed unable to nail specific likenesses.  I'm on the fence with this line, and may cancel my pre-orders...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 11:44 AM »
It looks beige on my monitor… (Apple 23"HD) ;D

I agree on the likenesses, better than Hasblo, but not quite on the mark.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to the Exclusive Accessory available for this one?

My guess… Baby Luke
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:47 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 11:54 AM »
That likeness is pretty sweet in my book.

So it'll be available for preorder on January 6th.  I'm amazed how quickly they moved from this sneak preview to being able to order it.  I'd have thought they'd let the excitement build a little longer like their Premium Format figures (statues).

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 01:56 PM »
I really can not understand what the problem is with the likenesses.  How can they get much better?  Really?  I know everyone is entitled to their opinion.  If you don't like it then you just don't like it.  That's cool and all.   I get that. 

However, I just can't see how they can get any better for a 12 inch toy/collectible?   Unless they just get lucky and truly "nail" it.   This is leaps and bounds better than anything Hasbro would have put out there head sculpt wise.   Just remember those God awful smiling Mace and Gui-Gon Jinn figures :) 

I am not saying this figure is perfect but really it does not get all that much better.  If they can get it better that is great but realistically these are not going to be mirror images of what we see in the films.  This is pretty darn close for 12 inch collectable IMO.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Very nice figures so far but I am dying for some non Jedi!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Looks like another nice one coming from Sideshow.  This would really be a great line to collect, and a nice way to "start fresh" with the 12" collection.  I agree with what was said earlier, so far these figures have just been miles ahead of what Hasbro released, and it looks like the line is in good hands.  As far as 3 Jedi in a row now, is it safe to say this first year will be all Jedi?  Or at least the first 6 or so figures?  I wasn't sure if that was the plan or not.  If so, maybe I could justify the price a little better since I'd be much more limited.  I'd really like to get the Luke figure (even though its pretty well sold out everywhere now), and just stick to some OT ones here and there from then on out.  If this is a Jedi year, that might just mean one figure this year unless we get an "old" Obi-Wan as well.  Anyways, figure looks good.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2006, 04:09 PM »
From a financial POV, it makes sense for Sideshow to start off with humans.  They can take their standard 12" body and simply tool new heads.  It's a very small investment relative to their "payback."

Clothing requires no investment and the accessories are very cheap to tool.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 3, 2006, 07:10 PM »
Ok, I am going to try to get Obi-Wan on Friday.  Since I will be at work, it will be hit and miss in the afternoon.  I do have a question for all you Sideshow veterans. Is the 10:00am start time just a guess or is it fact?  That would make it 1:00 my time and I might be able to have a shot at it. 

Also, is Sideshow similiar to Master Replica so it's a few months down the road after you order an item before it ships?? (or in some cases almost a year!!)
Beth

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2006, 09:26 PM »

Is the 10:00am start time just a guess or is it fact? That would make it 1:00 my time and I might be able to have a shot at it.

It's just a ballpark figure - they're saying it'll be somewhere between 10 and noon when it starts.

Also, is Sideshow similiar to Master Replica so it's a few months down the road after you order an item before it ships?? (or in some cases almost a year!!)

Definitely.  I pre-ordered my Darth Vader statue in February and it's only finally being released this month.

Here's the e-mail I received from Sideshow today:

PRIORITY PRE-ORDERS BEGIN THIS FRIDAY
Newsletter subscribers who qualify will be given an opportunity to 'Priority Pre-Order' the Obi-wan Exclusive 12-inch Figure from the movie 'Star Wars : Revenge of the Sith,' on January 6, 2006, from 10am to NOON (PST). This two hour pre-order window is only available to 'Priority Pre-Order' members.

TO QUALIFY YOU WILL NEED TO:

1. Be an active newsletter member Click Here

2. Be a SideshowCollectibles.com online user account holder Click Here

3. Your e-mail addresses must EXACTLY match in both accounts prior to 11:59 PM (PST), Thursday, January 5, 2006.

PRE-ORDER ONLINE
Once you are qualified for 'Priority Pre-Ordering,' simply go to the Sideshow Collectibles home page (www.SideshowCollectibles.com) on Friday, January 6, 2006 at 10am (PST). You will be prompted to enter your Online User Account user name and password. If you successfully login and you are verified by the system as a Newsletter Account holder, you will be directed to the "Purchase" option for the Obi-wan Exclusive 12-inch Figure!

PRE-ORDER BY PHONE
Phone orders will be taken for qualified 'Priority Pre-Order' subscribers after 10 am (PST), however due to recent server upgrades, and website enhancements, we believe that your online ordering experience will be significantly faster then ordering via phone. We can not guarantee there will be items available for any customers waiting on hold, if the edition sells through online.

NEWSLETTER STATUS MESSAGES
This new area appears within your Online User Account to inform you whether you are qualified for the next Priority Pre-order opportunity. This message is updated manually, with the next updates at 6pm (PST) on 1/5/06 and 9am (PST) on 1/6/06. If you feel that you have qualified for the pre-ordering, but are not receiving the appropriate newsletter status message, please look for updated status after these times.

OTHER PRODUCT INFORMATION
There are a limited number of Obi-wan Exclusive 12-inch Figures being offered to our collectors. 'Priority Pre-Order' operates on a first come, first serve basis. Once the exclusive edition of this figure sells out, the regular edition will be available for pre-order.

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2006, 09:45 PM »
I'm honestly getting a bit worn out by the constant necessity of camping at the Sideshow site to make sure I'm able to buy a product that should be much, much more mass market.

I don’t want to get too deep or completist into this line if a new figure is going to constantly be on preorder every 3-4 weeks, and that each time will have ony an hour’s window to lock down. I may be calling it quits with the first two and reserving any future purchases from the line to characters I really, really want.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2006, 09:48 PM by Jared »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2006, 10:48 PM »
One thing I can't figure out is why they don't increase their production numbers.  If they can sell out the exclusive version in a couple hours and the regular version in a couple days, wouldn't it make sense to simply make more of these? 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2006, 11:06 PM »
One thing I can't figure out is why they don't increase their production numbers.  If they can sell out the exclusive version in a couple hours and the regular version in a couple days, wouldn't it make sense to simply make more of these? 

Because then you have the collectors who will piss and moan about how exclusive and rare they used to be, and how they aren't anymore.

Besides, they could just raise the price. ::)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2006, 12:28 PM »
So (because I seem to be stupid) what is the difference on the exclusive Obi-Wan and the regular one?  I only see one picture and nothing else.  Does that information show up Friday??
Beth