Author Topic: My Displaying Dilemma  (Read 2667 times)

Jango Fettish

My Displaying Dilemma
« on: May 30, 2003, 10:56 PM »
Alright, here it goes.

Alot of you know that my computer/collection room as of right now is strictly Star Wars.

Problem is, the lady has put her foot down in regards to my very eclectic loose collection invading the house. I've got about 12 Marvel Legends, 2 LOTR 12", and a 12" Blade 2 in the bedroom on a shelf, and 4 LOTR figs out in the entertainment center.

This weekend I am hitting up a show, where a McFarlane Predator 2 (Predator) figure and McFarlane Matrix Neo w/ column fig will be waiting for me. Trust me, the name dropping comes into play soon.

Now, do I fight the power and add a 2nd shelf in my bedroom for all the new arrivals, or do I start the integration process in my collection room? Alison is cool with my two weekend purchases, as long as they don't go in the bedroom.

Star Wars is my first love, but I'm a Sci-Fi fan in general, which means I shouldn't have this hard of a time putting other lines into the mix, as it IS my "collection" room.  But..I'm torn..

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.  :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 11:00 PM by Jango Fettish »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: My Displaying Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 03:24 AM »
Well, I would tell you to just keep any of your collections (whether it be Star Wars or other sci-fi items) in your collection room.  That's where my wife allows me to keep all of my Star Wars items.  If your wifey doesn't want them in the bedroom then I wouldn't put them in there if I were you.  Don't make her upset, because it wouldn't be worth it then (putting your new stuff in the bedroom).  Just integrate the new booty into your collection room.

You've seen pictures of my office haven't you?  It's jammed packed with Star Wars stuff, and I have absolutely no more room for stuff.  I have about 10 Rubbermaid containers full to the brim with more Star Wars stuff.  The wife and I are planning on buying a house next year, and the entire basement will all be mine.

So, make both you and Alison happy, and just integrate your new items in your collection room.

Hope that helps...
dustrho

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 01:27 PM »
I appealed to the members of Rebelscum a few months ago regarding this very same issue. As you know, I started collecting Simpsons stuff in the spring, and I'm about 10 or 12 items away from a complete collection right now.

The problem is.....did I invade my Star Wars room with this stuff? Or did I put it somewhere else. The bedroom is already pretty full, so the only real option is my office. That's what I decided on. Somehow, it just didn't seem right to co-mingle the toys.

Maybe toy segregation is an outdated belief, but it's what I'm sticking with for now.  :)
Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 07:36 PM »
I dunno, I'm beginning to branch out again since I have decided to start displaying stuff, so me buying JUST Star Wars, no matter how much down time there is, is not very likely.

Woe is me, I may have to start mapping out my multi-line collection room after all.. :P

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 10:05 PM »
Hmmmmmm, interesting conundrum...... I collect Star Wars and Muppets, and I keep my collections pretty seperated.

You could always integrate your collections, but theme the display areas, make one section devoted to Matrix, and add paint schemes, pictures, whatever that would add to the theme. Create enough of a theme, and it would provide enough of a natural seperation to keep everything looking like a bunch of toys just heaped together. Depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

Im getting ready to convert one of my rooms into a Star Tours themed room, which definately means the Muppets have to stay far far away.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2003, 02:56 PM »
Wasn't it OCB who just had the giant toy room, with all kinds of stuff in there? It looked really cool on separate shelves.  I thought about doing that with my Star Wars and Simpsons, but opted to keep them separate in the end.

Flourescent tones just don't "Go" with the Star Wars universe.
Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2003, 03:03 PM »
Yep ;D

I just put all of the toys in one corner of the basement and each line in their own shelf or bookcase.  SW is broken down by movie for 3 3/4".  12", Beasts, Playsets, Vintage and Unleashed also have their own shelves.  Simpsons has its own bookcase and the fourth bookcase is MOTU (Vintage), LOTR and Marvel Legends.

My problem right now is that it is all seriously very full (i have left room for around 400-500 more 3 3/4" figs)  I haven't displayed hardly any of my vehicles yet and if I were it would start to spill out of my neat little corner which may not make wifey to happy.

I'm going to take and updated pic right now!  be back in 10 mintues

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 1, 2003, 03:39 PM »
OK here's a swing around ye olde basement...

Notice the clear demarcation of toys and non-toys this will some day be our family room but hasn't become that yet since we really don't ever use the space.  Also notice my big tub o' ships in the lower right corner of the third picture

And the beautiful purple and gold sweatshirt on the recliner that is 2 sizes to big  :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 1, 2003, 04:22 PM »
Great pictures Scott!  Man, I wish we had basements out here in SoCal!  So is that the old Don Post Vader helmet off in the corner there?  If so, I've got mine boxed away too from my many Halloween Vader gigs as a young lad...

And I can only assume that Purple and Gold sweatshirt there is a Lakers one, right?!?   :-*  I use to have my entire hat collection set up in the exact same way as you when I was back in college.  Only have a select few out right now 'til the big move.  Speaking of which - we're off in 10 minutes here on the continued (mind-numbing) house hunt...   :'(

I think I've got the identical smaller shelves as you there too (back left corner).  Is that actually a CD rack from Best Buy?  Holds like 540 CDs or something like that?  Those work quite nicely for displays.

Love the pink recliners, BTW...   :-*

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 1, 2003, 04:23 PM »
Yup. Those are the pics I remembered. I think your display is REALLY cool, and a great way to co-mingle (If you have the space) but my SW room is a lot smaller....and I just don't think I could pull that off.

BTW....if you look at that last shot, you can REALLY see how those Simpsons figures stick out. I can't imagine how much that would be amplified in an even smaller space like mine.
Got Clones?

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 1, 2003, 05:33 PM »
As Ive talked about for so long, I am planning on renovating my Star Wars collection rooms into rooms with a specific Star Wars theme. I changed my mind from the Hoth areas (maybe Ill use this later though), and for room number one I've decided to apply a Star Tours theme.

Today I've been designing one of the shelving units that will go into the room. This unit will serve as a loose figure display area. If Im happy with how this first shelving unit turns out, I will apply the same design and theme to the rest of the room.

My father and I will be building this together, and because he can never understand my drawings, I've built a scale model to show how I want this first unit to appear. I've also taken some photos to show all of you! :)

Here is the photo of the entire scale model, please dont pay attention to the alternating colors on the shelves themselves, that is just from boredom. However, on the bottom "platform" I did use seperate colors to show different heights of wood. Hard to explain, maybe the picture will explain better:

The second photo shows a comparison picture with a scene from Star Tours (I borrowed the photo from startours.bejedi.com, I hope you dont mind Kris)

As you can now see, I will be using a grating for the central area of the platform, and then will apply the decor and themes as I've noted in the picture.

If you have any questions, please ask! If you have any feedback, please sound off! If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!
Adam

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 1, 2003, 11:13 PM »
Wow, that looks very cool Adam!  Can't wait to see some IP and completed shots.  Sounds like some good bonding time with your dad as well!   8)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 1, 2003, 11:38 PM »
Im hoping I can get started soon! If it goes well, Im going to do the entire room