Author Topic: Random passages from John Hodgman's book, "The Areas of My Expertise."  (Read 30960 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Day 5 at the Mall of America

Elayne takes me to Cereal Adventure, which is a mini theme park run by General Mills, makers of Trix and Lucky Charms and Cookie Crisp.

There is a mini golf course there, as well as an interactive exhibit on how Lucky Charms is made.  Here it is shown how the leprechauns are first flayed and then pulped to be turned into the marshmallows.  Off to the side are waist-high piles of abandoned little green hats that will be shipped back to Ireland under international treaty.

"Am I the only one who finds this a little bit creepy?" I ask aloud.  Elayne ignores me.  "You can have your picture taken and put on a box of Wheaties," she says.

That's insane, I say.  I can't masturbate to a picture of myself.  Where are the Mary Lou Retton boxes?

We then go to the Cereal Adventure Cafe, which claims to have all the General Mills cereals for sale.  They have the monster cereals Boo Berry, Count Chocolua, and Frankenberry.  I am surprised to learn that they have never heard of Fruit Brute, which featured a werewolf.  They have never heard of Yummy Mummy, who was a mummy who was fruit flavored.  I wonder if they really have any business running a "cereal adventure" cafe at all.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
After some reading, I learned that black squirrels are actually quite common in the American Midwest - especially in Coucil Bluffs, Iowa, and Marysville, Kans., which are the twin epicenters of American black squirreldom.  And lately, the hearty species has been on the move, gradually radiating toward the coasts.  Some speculate they are driven by deforestation.  Every schoolchild knows that a squirrel could once run from Greenland to Cuba on a canopy of trees and perhaps now they are intent on taking it back, overrunning us as indeed all nature will someday.  And so at least in this sense, the omen of the black squirrel is true.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Missouri

Nicknames:  The Show-Me State, The Prove-It State, The Demonstrate-Your-God-Damned-Thesis State

Motto:  "We Demand That It Be Revealed Immediately."

Notes:  Most experts agree that everything is up-to-date in Kansas City, Mo.  With its seven-story skyscrapers, full telephone service, burlesque theaters, and multiple gas buggies, it has gone about as far as it can go.  No further progress will be undertaken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
HINTS ON BUILDING SNOW FORTS

• Locate snow fort on high ground offering plenty of visibility to surrounding terrain.
  • Mound a square or circular enclosure of snow walls that are wider than they are tall.
  • An armory of spare snowballs may be stacked in a pyramid in the center.  This pyramid is also good for the secret storage of vodka or, if defeat is certain, cyanide capsules.
  • Making use of an actual, existing army fort or tower guarantees success but is considered unsporting.
  • Underground tunnels should be supported by stout beams.  Glass bricks are no longer fashionable.
  • Watch out for wampas.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
PROHIBITION-ERA EUPHEMISMS FOR ALCOHOL

The noble experiment of 1920-1933 didn't stop anyone from drinking, of course.  But the dubious quality of bootleg liquor and homemade toadstool hooch21 did cause sufficient brain damage among the speakeasy set such that simple, useful descriptors were maniacally replaced with the zippy, jazz-age lingo of the insane.  Broadway was "That Great Glowing Gulch of Drowning Dreams," tough guys were "gorillas," and gorillas were "mega-chimps."  But by far the greatest number of euphemisms was reserved for booze itself, that "numbing nectar of the old alcohol tree!"  Here are some of the more famous. . .

Devil's tears
Sleepy syrup
Zip sauce
Hop tallow
Trance juice
Grain guzzle
Massage oil
Mystery nip
Irish vinegar
French mayonnaise
Brain shellac
Distillate of dreamtime
Jazz chowder
Fairy pee
Corn cologne
Washcloth wringings
Genuine gin-flavored beverage
The sweet tonic of olde
That slippery serum
Romulan ale
Near beer
Stutter milk
Juniper ****
Antimatter
Stun gravy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
PROHIBITION-ERA EUPHEMISMS FOR ALCOHOL

Here are some of the more famous. . .

Romulan ale

At the risk of ruining your consecutive post streak (due apologies but at least you know someone is reading)...

Does anyone know the etymology of this, or is the author simply having fun and seeing if anyone is indeed following along?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Sorry Brent, me thinks it's a misprint.  It should be Corellian ale.

That's insane, I say.  I can't masturbate to a picture of myself. 

If I had a dollar for everytime I thought that...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
JOKES THAT HAVE NEVER PRODUCED LAUGHTER

(#2)

A priest, a rabbi, and a nonreligious person are flying across the Atlantic Ocean, all for different reasons.  There is engine trouble, and one of the wings catches on fire.  The plane starts to go down.  Luckily, there are enough parachutes for everyone.  Evacuation is orderly.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile

That's insane, I say.  I can't masturbate to a picture of myself. 

If I had a dollar for everytime I thought that...

Jaysus Jesse, don't even get me started on your Avatar..........
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
OMG!  Did I just say that out loud?!? :-X
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
WTF is this thread about?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
WTF is this thread about?

I could be wrong, but I think it's a collection of random passages from John Hodgman's book, "The Areas of My Expertise." 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
DIVERSIONS FOR THE ASTHMATIC CHILD WHO CANNOT PLAY IN THE SNOW

But suppose you are an asthmatic child, unsuited for play in cold weather, or for labor in the chimneys, or as a sewer lackey.  There are still any number of indoor amusements that will not overtax the lungs or the inhaler.  For example . . .

• Inhaler whittling
  • Fabrication of elaborate kites that shall never be flown
  • Pill-swapping
  • Bird-loathing
  • Lying on the floor and staring at the ceiling
  • Finding new quiet radio programs to listen to
  • Hiding

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
I am surprised to learn that they have never heard of Fruit Brute, which featured a werewolf.  They have never heard of Yummy Mummy, who was a mummy who was fruit flavored.  I wonder if they really have any business running a "cereal adventure" cafe at all.

Jack Handey, is that you??
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
I thought we were getting a beyond the grave visit from Andy Kauffman.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."