Author Topic: SWG's custom figures - 9.29 - Old Republic Sith Lord and Speeder Bike Display  (Read 19125 times)

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
I was going to resurrect the old thread, but decided that I've actually come a long way since the last time I posted here under that old name... so I'll start fresh. Here's a small sample of some recent figures that I've done...

A lot of my most recent work has been non-Star Wars, because I lost my job about a year ago and have been doing commissions full time, and when the guy paying for work doesn't want a Star Wars figure you just make whatever they ask for, lol!

If you click my signature "Custom Figures" link will take you to my website with some more photos, and the "YouTube" link will take you to my YouTube page (duh!) where I have uploaded some video slideshows and tutorials as well.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:09 PM by starwarsgeek »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: SWG's custom figures
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18 PM »
That ARC Trooper is my favorite. Looks like it jumped straight out of the cartoon! :o
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Good stuff Dave. It's nice to see you still customizing these days. Your stuff has improved a lot since I last saw it. Keep it coming man! :)
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Everything is incredibly impressive. It all looks like it was bought off the shelf.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:38 PM »
Some new stuff....

Old Republic-style Bounty Hunter

Duros Bounty Hunter

Kal Skirata

Carnage

Mr. Freeze

Cyber Armor Batman

backpack flips open

Captain Amerihulk? Not really sure where this idea came from, it was a commission piece...

Offline stormforce customs

• Youngling
  • The Jedi Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Have to say this work is fantastic. I love seeing any of your stuff its been said on here that your work looks store bought its really clean. Not sure about Captain Amerihulk lol. Love all your Star Wars subjects and the Cyber Batman is fantastic great work man keep em commin.
FOR MY ALLY IS THE FORCE : YODA
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:42 AM »
Great work all around Dave. I'm really digging the Duros Bounty Hunter and the TOR Bounty Hunter. Those new GI-JOE figures seem like they make great custom fodder. You did a great job with the skin tone and the missing eye to make the head look different.

I'd also like to compliment you on your photography. It is always great to see customizers who take as much time present their customs as they do making them. The mini-diorama backgrounds and the lighting really add to the realism and really help me imaging these guys are real somewhere. I'd love to know where some of these background pices come from. I've seen several other guys who have similar (if not the same) backgrounds and would love to track some of these down for myself.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff. :)
"This is the way."

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Thanks Stormforce and Ryan. I've always thought that the presentation is just as important as the production. I've seen plenty of great customs that looked horrid because they were photographed on the kitchen table using the flash or some other bad setup. And I've seen some mediocre customs that definitely benefited from nice photography.

As for the backdrops, I use several different pieces. I don't have photos of them all, but this is the one that I use most:

Basically, it's 3 different pieces made by Kotobukiya called "Mechanical Chain Base", that were made for displaying Gundam model kits and figures. They are all sold separately, and each box contains a floor piece and a wall piece and then some extra bits and pieces. Like I mentioned, I took 3 different kits and put them together to form this little hallway area, then I painted it and weathered it for a nice dirty look, lol.

Some of the other pieces that I use are from the McFarlane Matrix figures (like on Darth Caedus and Jaina Solo), one is from a DC Superman figure (like on Kal Skirata), and a few other odds and ends.

Anyway, here's a few pics of my newest pieces. More pics and info, recipes, etc. can be found on my website: http://www.starwarsgeek.net

Mara Jade - The Emperor's Hand

Jaina Solo (version 2)

NON-SW:

Iron Patriot

GI Joe Resolute: Alley Viper

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:22 PM by starwarsgeek »

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
Re: SWG's custom figures - 9.21 - Dark Forces Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 10:04 PM »
So today I finished up my latest commission piece... Kyle Katarn:

My buyer said he wanted a younger looking Kyle than the new comic pack version. I think this came out pretty good. Whenever I can match what I envision in my head before I start, I'm always happy with the end result. Doesn't happen as often as I would like though.

Anyway, when I was finished, I put him with Jan Ors, since they are for the same buyer, and snapped some pics. After looking at the two of them together, I decided to do a few updates on Jan (sorry I didn't post the original version here):

Several people mentioned that she was supposed to be of Asian descent, and the Starkiller head that I used wasn't exactly Asian-looking. I also noticed that when placed next to Kyle, she was the same height. So I chopped about 1/8" off the bottom of her legs, drilled new peg holes for the feet, and put the feet back. I think she looks much better now:

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
Hmmm... no love for Kyle or Jan? Oh well. Check these out...

Well, here's one that I've been working on for a long, long time. Just never seemed to find the time to finish it. I would do a little here, a little there, and then let it sit. I made the base probably about 3 years ago. It's a CD that either a) came in the mail from AOL or b) came out of my burner as a coaster... but either way, it wasn't good for anything, so I put it to a better use. I covered it with grass flock from Citadel, and then a few shrubberies here and there. Used one of the clear rods from a Darth Maul droid (I think) to suspend the bike up off the ground.

Made a few changes to the bike as well... obviously you can see that I completely re-did the steering vanes. I always hated the ones on here originally. One of the reasons this has taken me soooo long to finish was that I was trying to come up with a way to make a working piston, as I wanted the steering vanes to be able to move up and down. After numerous failures, I gave up and just made them stationary. I'll probably re-visit the idea some other time, as I really want to make one with completely articulated steering vanes. I also modified the part that connects the front of the bike to the body, and glued it together to get rid of the stupid exploding action.

Drilled some small holes in the foot rests and added some pegs so his feet can hold on. Used a Han Solo Endor coat and rolled it up for the blanket on back.

The Scout Trooper has also had some mods done. I modded the legs with the hips from a RotS AT-TE Gunner so he can spread his legs a bit better to sit down and look more natural, but he can still stand without looking like... yeah, you know. Removable helmet that came from the old GTG store, back in the day.

And lastly, just an outtake from my photo shoot that I thought was pretty funny....

AND...

This is another figure that's been on my bench for a long, long time...

And it's also a figure that's been done to death, as it seems that every customizer out there has done their own version of this guy... but as soon as I saw the Deceived trailer for The Old Republic video game, I knew I had to make one of these guys... and I started planning. And then started building, slowly... lol. But as new figures started coming out and showing up at retail, I started swapping parts out, and every time I thought I was close to finished, I found a new figure that would give me a better part than what I already had...

But I finally just put him together and put all the finishing touches on him, and I'm done. I think...

Head: RoC Dr. Lewis
Breathing aparatus: RoC Flash helmet modded with hose from AT-AT Driver
Armor: RoC Flash modded with Capt Rex pauldrons
Upper torso: RoC Flash
Lower torso/legs: Wolverine: Origins Maverick
Boots/feet: Infinities Darth Vader
Upper arms: GI Joe comic pack Iron Grenadier
Lower arms/hands: RoC Flash
Sith Lightening hand: Palpatine? Dooku? It was in the fodder box
Cape: Evo Palpatine modded

Here's one that I made for a HISSTank custom contest, that was to take place in the "End of Days" Universe...

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
All of your stuff is very well done.  I like the diorama backgrounds as well.  It adds another nice layer to the photos.  (I might have a nightmare or two from the last pics though...)
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.