Author Topic: Daigo-Bah's Customs (8/4)  (Read 49217 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Daigo-Bah's Customs (2/6)
« Reply #105 on: February 6, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Ever since the Indy figs have been on deep discount, I've had my eye on Sallah for some potential Tatooine residents.  So I took one, cut his dress into a skirt, cut off his boots and replaced them with Luke boots, added a utility belt, used a VTAC Bespin Luke head with hair painted black, and basically repainted everything.  This guy is seen several times walking around the cantina exterior.

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Daigo-Bah's Customs (2/6)
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2009, 02:52 PM »
On vacation in Destin, FL yesterday I happened into a WM and found a TON of the new comic packs.  I don't buy the EU stuff (though the Amanin pack looked fantastic), but I was ready to plunk down some coin for the ewoks!  I think they're great, and I knew I'd repaint the headdresses right away.  I did so today, because they were so close to film-accurate otherwise!  Here's a couple pics:

Greg Reeves

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Daigo-Bah's Customs (7/26)
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2009, 10:02 PM »
This was a longer and more methodical custom repaint than I thought it would be!  Many of you probably knew that the recent WED droid that came with the Jawa (I nominate the pack as figure of the year!) was not correctly colored for the ANH scene.  The dark grey paintjob was more representative of its appearance in the Echo base hangar, while the ANH droid sale version was white.  Hasbro recently stated in a Q and A that they would consider a re-color for future releases, but I thought I'd do my own since I had an extra.  Everything repainted was done so by using spraypaint cans as opposed to brush painting.  I taped off appropriate areas and sprayed to get a nice even production quality color.  The real difficulty was in separating the arm pieces to have both chrome and white components.  Every exposed "metal" portion was lightly sprayed with chrome for a bit more shine.  I had to x-acto cut the arms into several pieces to be able to paint correctly!  Anyway, here are several pics including a film capture and a couple in my droid sale diorama.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:04 PM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2009, 10:08 PM »
I bought an extra Beru figure to customize Jenny from the cantina, using ROTLA Marion's head, a repaint of the outfit, and a few x-acto blade cuts here and there (shortened skirt, removed inner sleeve and tunic, etc).  Here are a couple pics including a screen shot:

Greg Reeves

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Nice work!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 4, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I had bought 2 of the TLC Beru figures with the intent of customizing both Jenny and Swilla.  I made Jenny with a ROTLA Marion head, but I couldn't find a good head for the Swilla version.  I was originally going to use a GI Joe Scarlett head, but I thought it was too pretty.  Interestingly, the Beru face sculpt was pretty good, as long as the hair looked right.  So I ended up sculpting the hair from super sculpy.  Everything was painted and drybrushed (even some eye shadow!).  Here are various pics, including in my cantina diorama and some screen shots as well.

Greg Reeves

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Daigo-Bah's Customs (8/4)
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2009, 01:10 AM »
I have never even noticed a lot of these cantina patrons before. I have to applaud you for the amount of research you have done into that scene. Have you figured out a complete map of where everyone is in the cantina? I customs that are screen accurate like these ones. I doubt Hasbro will ever get to every human cantina patron. They have toleave some work for us customizers, right? ;)

The treadwell repaint is a great update as well. I may have to do that to one of mine.
"This is the way."